Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upper Dash Pad Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehokana
Hey guys

I have started working on getting my car back together and decided to get the dash reupholstered to match the rest of the interior. Anyway, I pulled the vinyl on the upper dash off so that it could be matching as well, and some of the foam-type padding came up and tore- not exactly unexpected for 40 year old foam. I spent tonight cleaning the glue off of the upper dash (what a job that was) so that I could glue the new piece down once I get it back from the upholstery shop.

So, to my question, what have people used to replace the foam padding under the vinyl when you replaced the upper dash pad? I thought about just gluing the new piece of vinyl directly without any padding to back it (because vinyl now is significantly thicker than what was used on the upper dash originally) but I'm afraid that every little bump on the dash will eventually show as a dimple on the vinyl. Does anyone have suggestions or something that has worked for them?
wes
I bought my upper dash vinyl from 914Rubber and the foam pad came with it, Im installing it today
LukeD
Tips on installing with the windshield and dash in the car? I have the 914rubber kit and the foam is not pre-cut and I'm not sure it can be installed without removing something
DRPHIL914
i did this a few years ago and i got the foam from A.A. i dont remember having to do any kind of trimming at all.

76-914
I just did this last month. Look back a few weeks in my build thread. Pretty sure I covered most everything. Look at the "73 restoration Suby Conversion" thread on today's pg 1. BTW, you can use your old piece of vinyl as a nominal guide.
MoveQik
I just did mine. Admittedly, I had the benefit of the windshield being out of the car which made for a very easy job. I used 1/8" open cell foam. I made sure the dash was smooth and then used spray adhesive to put it on the dash. Then did the same to attach the vinyl on top of the foam. Turned out totally bump free even with some custom "body work" filling in the defrost vents.
76-914
Jesus Mike, You don't have an ashtray!! Where do you put your roaches? confused24.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 28 2015, 06:04 PM) *

Jesus Mike, You don't have an ashtray!! Where do you put your roaches? confused24.gif

I had to switch to edibles. chowtime.gif
ehokana
Thanks for the help guys! I talked to the shop owner of the upholstery place that is doing the dash and he told me that he'll cut a piece of foam to use with the vinyl piece. I don't know why I didn't think of that solution earlier...

MoveQik- that looks fantastic! I have the windshield out of my car currently so I should have a little bit easier of a time also
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.