Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pushrod Tube seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alphaogre
Has anyone used these viton seals before on the pushrod tubes and valve covers? I would be curious if they would help with the leaking or not?

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Vit...l-Kit-srch.html

Pushrod Tube Seal Kit
Who wants to constantly perform the dirty, greasy pushrod tube replacement procedure when these space age viton seals eliminate the problem for years! rated at 450. Degrees, if installed properly you should never have to replace the seals again! Kit comes complete with precise instructions and valve cover gaskets. Everything you need except hand cleaner! Consists of: 8 b021 109 345 a; 2 r021 101 481; 1 rtc 1022 make sure that you readjust the valves and check the valve adjuster lugs for damage.
Kit consists of:

8 - b021109349b - pushrod tube seal, large - normally $20.00

8 - b021109345a - pushrod tube seal viton - normally $8.00

2 - r021101481 - valve cover gasket - normally $2.40

1 - btc1022...(choose a part on the right to read more)

Click to view attachment
saigon71
I use the good old cork gaskets on the valve covers.

I installed Viton push rod tube seals a few years ago...I highly recommend them.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jul 28 2015, 02:25 PM) *

I use the good old cork gaskets on the valve covers.

I installed Viton push rod tube seals a few years ago...I highly recommend them.

agree.gif I put them in when i replaced all mine this past year, they were recommeded by the late Capt'n Crusty.
Dave_Darling
Cork gaskets, viton o-rings. If you have an early 1.7 car, make sure to check the bore in the cylinder head. Some early ones are smaller.

You can generally speaking get the parts elsewhere for less than AA charges. (And most places have better customer service IMHO.) This forum is a much better resource than "Dr. George's" instruction set, too.

The short version of the instructions: Pull the tubes halfway out of the head to replace the seals. No need to pull them out to the point where they run into the suspension console.

--DD
ThePaintedMan
Dave nailed it. You indeed do not have to pull them all the way out, but contrary to what some believe, they can be pulled completely out if you pull the pushrods out first on the couple that run into the console.

Before attempting to change them, take GOOD notes on how the long, snake-like pushrod retainer wire is routed. I got it wrong and it ate into a pushrod (aluminum). Double and triple check that you have it routed correctly when you reinstall by using a mirror and/or cell phone camera. You also want to clean out all oil and debris from the pushrod tube bores before you pull them so you don't get any inside the case.
McMark
I just get them from McMaster-Carr

Small Viton Orings: 9464K33 ($8.20 for 25)
Large Viton Orings: 9464K35 ($8.43 for 25)
I've used these without issue.

I'm also just about to order some X-shape rings to try.
Small X-Rings: 6540K152
Large X-Rings: 6540K154
I don't know how well these work. I haven't tried them yet.
Alphaogre
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 28 2015, 01:04 PM) *

The short version of the instructions: Pull the tubes halfway out of the head to replace the seals. No need to pull them out to the point where they run into the suspension console.

--DD

WHAT !?!?! you don't have to pull the full motor and everything down to the pistons to replace these?!?! DAMN IT! headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif Thanks for the info, I have the whole thing pulled apart anyway, so I figure now would be a good time to change everything.

Are the cork ones more prone to leaking then the viton seals for the valve covers? (my cork ones have leaked in the past. I think they just get saturated.

I saw this article that was pretty interesting. Anyone add the lips to the valve covers?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_covers.htm
TheCabinetmaker
Cork valve cover gaskets. Period! Use permatex aviation form a gasket, or gaskacinch to glue gaskets to cover, and a thin coat of bearing grease (not the blue high temp stuff) on the head side of gasket. Done right, they will not leak.
Highland
Alphaogre, since you have to order 25 at a time from McMaster-Carr, I'd be glad to send you 8 each from my last order if you PM me your address.
914forme
I used Loctite pipe sealant on the O-rings, they never leaked. I hate oil leaks!!!!!
Elliot Cannon
Used by FAT Performance, European Motor Works and the California Central Coast School of High Tech Stuff. But WTF.gif do they know? av-943.gif
Mikey914
Cork or silicone. I make both. Personally I like the cork best. I have made both versions 1/16" thicker than OEM and slightly wider to seat better than the others on the market.
Selling point on the silicone is they are reusable.

Just my .02
Alphaogre
QUOTE(Highland @ Jul 28 2015, 04:26 PM) *

Alphaogre, since you have to order 25 at a time from McMaster-Carr, I'd be glad to send you 8 each from my last order if you PM me your address.

Thanks! PM sent.
Alphaogre
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 29 2015, 09:49 AM) *

Used by FAT Performance, European Motor Works and the California Central Coast School of High Tech Stuff. But WTF.gif do they know? av-943.gif

Thats interesting, is that the Locktite pipe sealant in the photo?

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jul 29 2015, 02:05 PM) *

No that is RTV... I think I'm going to cough....hack hack...

BTW I use to use the Loctite pipe sealant, but I been using DOW 55 molycoat O'ring lube, which is a grease.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 29 2015, 09:57 AM) *

Selling point on the silicone is they are reusable.

I've reused the cork valve cover gaskets at least a half-dozen times. The only time it has ever leaked was when I shifted the gasket out of position messing with the cover retaining bale.

--DD
914_teener
e='Jul 29 2015, 11:05 AM' post='2216313']
[quote name='Elliot Cannon' post='2216285' date='Jul 29 2015, 09:49 AM']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ignore that photo ...........

It is infamous here and will lead you down the yellow brick road to be attacked by flying monkies laugh.gif stirthepot.gif
pcdarks
[/quote]

Ignore that photo ...........

It is infamous here and will lead you down the yellow brick road to be attacked by flying monkies laugh.gif stirthepot.gif
[/quote]

So then what is the orange stuff in the picture?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes and once we install them no one ever returns for replacement, they are that good. I remember years ago when 914s were regularly driven and before viton, we were replacing pushrod tube seals once a year, was a really filthy good business, AND one would get a revalve adjust at the same time. I did it on my back more than once that for sure and got covered in grease oil and dirt
rjames
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 29 2015, 03:47 PM) *

I've reused the cork valve cover gaskets at least a half-dozen times. The only time it has ever leaked was when I shifted the gasket out of position messing with the cover retaining bale.

--DD

agree.gif
AZBanks
@McMark

Did you ever try out the X-shape rings?
AZBanks
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 29 2015, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jul 29 2015, 02:05 PM) *

No that is RTV... I think I'm going to cough....hack hack...

BTW I use to use the Loctite pipe sealant, but I been using DOW 55 molycoat O'ring lube, which is a grease.

Do you have a supplier and part number on the DOW 55? Nevermind, I had to try a bunch of search terms but finally found it. It is McMaster part number 1325K54
bbrock
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jan 23 2021, 11:52 AM) *

Do you have a supplier and part number on the DOW 55? Nevermind, I had to try a bunch of search terms but finally found it. It is McMaster part number 1325K54

Found it cheaper on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Molykote...7927&sr=8-5
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jan 23 2021, 01:46 PM) *

@McMark

Did you ever try out the X-shape rings?

i got my x shapes from Mcmark 3 years ago and installed them, no leaks since .
AZBanks
Are the o-rings the same size for 1.7 and 1.8 liter engines?
AZBanks
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jan 23 2021, 11:52 AM) *

Oops, That part number comes back as:

Seal and O-Ring Grease, Dupont Molykote 55, 5.3 oz. Tube

It is listed as Dupont. Does anyone know if this is the same as the DOW?
mark04usa
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jan 23 2021, 04:23 PM) *

Are the o-rings the same size for 1.7 and 1.8 liter engines?

Yes, except for the outer orings on early 1.7, up to eng # W0057460, which use 23.5mm instead of 25.1mm orings at cylinder head end.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(pcdarks @ Jan 22 2021, 01:51 PM) *

So then what is the orange stuff in the picture?

Orange RTV. Generally not the right stuff to use for O-rings. Elliott, however, is quite proud that a Professional Shop ™ used it on the outboard rings on his motor.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.