Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition wiring to butt connectors question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pgollender
I need help in connecting my new ignition wires to an old 1970-71 wiring harness.
I built an engine test stand and connected an old harness but I wanted to simply use a new ignition switch to turn it on, but I dont know which of the 12 butt connectors to connect to the 4 ignition wires. Haynes electrical section of the manual is too hard to understand and read and trace with any degree of confidence:
This what I have:
New switch from AA:
4 wires:
red
black
black with red
grey

Old harness (12 butt connectors)
Big RED
Big YELLOW
Big BLACK
Black with white
Black with Green
Black with green and white
2-browns
Grey with red
Grey with black
Brown with white
Yellow with red.

Also I have a partial cluster that I want to keep powered:
Tachometer and Multi-meter, NO speedo cluster.

Any insight would help:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
I did this study awhile ago, consider it a draft and use at your own risk. From studying the 12 and 14 pin connectors on the 12-pin 1970 (through early 1971) and 14-pin late 1971 connectors and chassis harnesses. There may be inaccuracies and the 1970 schematic does not indicate wire colors.

Red is usually the main power
Yellow is probably the starter

With 12 female connectors you have the 1970 chassis harness. Not sure about the ignition switch you have.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.