Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a little progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Slowly and steadily I'm making progress and learning a lot on the way! So far things are going together very well. There's a lot of details to pay attention to in the dash and under the cowl area!!

Doug Leggins
I've got most of the instruments and controls in place and hooked up. This area came together pretty well. It was easier than I expected to understand where each piece went.

I am thinking about sending off the speedo to be reconditioned and set to 0 miles so I have'nt installed it.
xsboost90
damn. my car will be nice but this one will be perfect when done. What are your plans once its done? Concours or driver? I would prob. enjoy it the way dr. porsche had planned. driving-girl.gif
Doug Leggins
I reaalllly wish that I would have thought more about installing the rear window defrost system when the harness was out of the car. I installed the rear window defrost harness from the dash switch to the realy board connection without cutting a wire. I used a wire to fish the harness through the harness grommet tube at the lower firewall to get the harness installed the way the factory did it. Took a bunch of extra time but its done right. The defrost harness runs along the shelf with main harness that leads to the relay board.

It would have been tremendously easier to install the rear window defrost to the main harness when the harness was out of the car!
Doug Leggins
rear panel stuff
Doug Leggins
Inside rear trunk
Doug Leggins
I am really enjoying the rebuilding biggrin.gif biggrin.gif . It's a little trying at times but it feels great to make progress and feel good about things being done well.

Sometimes I'm guilty of just stopping and admiring the details. wub.gif

Doug Leggins
What are your plans once its done? Concours or driver?

It's going to be a driver! I hope to keep it in close to concours condition for a while but my primary intent is to enjoy it as a driver.

My intent in buying my first 914 was to have a fun, economical, daily driver. 5 years and 6 914s later I'm at this point. I'm definately having fun!
Qarl
Andy must have taken a lot of your pics!

redshift
Nice... you can reset your odo.

wow... nice.. I don't like yellow, and orange is not my favorite, but you guys all make nice as hell orange and yellow cars!

M
Spoke
Awesome!!!

Your car looks like it's coming out of the factory, only nicer. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Spoke
nine14cats
Doug,

Did you end up sourcing all new "old stock" parts or did you clean up originals? Or did you rebuild originals?

Everything looks beautiful. Great Job smilie_pokal.gif

Bill P.
double-a
gorgeous! that's a top-shelf restoration for sure, keep up the good work.

~a
Sparky
Doug - Looks great! Umm whats under the tarp next to the 'Vette? I'd guess '56 Chevy Bel?

Keep up the great work, it's guys like that you that make me look like a slacker. dry.gif

My best,
Mike D.
Doug Leggins
Did you end up sourcing all new "old stock" parts or did you clean up originals? Or did you rebuild originals?

All of the above. I've collected parts from several cars. I sort through the parts and look for the best ones to use. If I can find a part that will clean up and look great I'll use it. If I can't find a part that looks and works great, I buy the one I need. (I've spent much $$$ at GPR -which is a great place to get 914 parts!)

I spend a lot of time cleaning and preping pretty much every part to get it like I want it to look.

Heres an example pic. I had the gas tank strap powder coated with the last batch of parts. I sorted through 4 or 5 other straps to find the best plated hardware parts that tighten the strap. Glue on the best pads that i had and get new hardware for the installation. It takes some planning and some time but makes for a nice outcome.

I disassembled the best license plate light assemblies that I had. Cleaned them well and replaced the bulbs. -good to go.
Lou W
Great inspiration, keep the pictures coming. smile.gif
ablose58
Great job Doug, that is a really beautiful teener smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif wub.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
Gint
Keep those pics coming Doug. Looks great!
Joe Bob
Nicely done....
TC/914
Doug,

That car and the DETAILS are just sensational ! !

"Heres an example pic. I had the gas tank strap powder coated with the last batch of parts. I sorted through 4 or 5 other straps to find the best plated hardware parts that tighten the strap. Glue on the best pads that i had and get new hardware for the installation. It takes some planning and some time but makes for a nice outcome."

That 's the BEST way to do it. I've tried to keep to that line of thought and action, but always get the old, "You have WAY to much time on your hands!" response. Hard to explain that buffing/wire-brushing/clear coating metal brackets is actually more fun than golf on weekends or TV in the evening . . .

A terrific job!

TC
CptTripps
I'm in awe...Every time I think of doing a COMPLETE restoration, Your's and Gint's cars come to mind. Completely stunning.

I know you don't want to think about it, but what do you think you'll be into the whole thing for when all is said and done?
buck toenges
That car is SO[B] nice!!!!
Stutgart46
What a great looking car. You can see the time and consideration that is going into this restoration. You have a lot more patients (and skill) than I could ever dream of.
Please keep the pics coming.
smilie_pokal.gif
Doug Leggins
Umm whats under the tarp next to the 'Vette? I'd guess '56 Chevy Bel?

Not a 56 Bel. It's a 54 vette. It belongs to my father in law. He collected a few cars over the years. And now I get to enjoy them!!!
Doug Leggins
Thanks for the compliments on the work folks!

I obviously enjoy working on cars and one of the things that really keeps me hooked is getting into the details of how something works. For me there is a bit of a thrill in being able to understand how and why. The cleaning thing all started during the paint job. The tub turned out so nice that i just had to start improving the quality of the parts that I was going to reinstall.

. Hard to explain that buffing/wire-brushing/clear coating metal brackets is actually more fun than golf on weekends or TV in the evening . . .

I understand this completely!
scotty b
That car is a freekin museum piece smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif Keep the pics coming!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.