Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler Options for T4 Header
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Working out installing a msds T4 header and am considering muffler options. My first choice was to attach a flowmaster to the end of the collector and add a tail pipe....header exits on the driver's side.

It is turning out there may not be enough room since the header collector and reducer put the flange out near the end of the trans. I can route the pipe and muffler across the back and exit the passenger's side but then I need to change my valance.

I think curving the pipe back to the driver's side will be tight; and hard to find a shop to spend the time.

I remember seeing some kind of 911 muffler, banana type, that had the inlet and exit on the same side. Was that a custom job? Are they effective?

Has anyone done this setup? How do you mount the muffler?
914forme
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 28 2015, 06:49 PM) *

Working out installing a msds T4 header and am considering muffler options. My first choice was to attach a flowmaster to the end of the collector and add a tail pipe....header exits on the driver's side.

It is turning out there may not be enough room since the header collector and reducer put the flange out near the end of the trans. I can route the pipe and muffler across the back and exit the passenger's side but then I need to change my valance.

I think curving the pipe back to the driver's side will be tight; and hard to find a shop to spend the time.

I remember seeing some kind of 911 muffler, banana type, that had the inlet and exit on the same side. Was that a custom job? Are they effective?

Has anyone done this setup? How do you mount the muffler?

Tangerine Racing - EVO II silencer. Single inlet, and outlet, streatable muffler, anything Chris does and sells seems to work very well. Im sure if you ask he can work something up, though his header is the best one I ever owned.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 28 2015, 07:10 PM) *

Tangerine Racing - EVO II silencer. Single inlet, and outlet, streatable muffler, anything Chris does and sells seems to work very well. Im sure if you ask he can work something up, though his header is the best one I ever owned.

agree.gif I'm running the Evo II as well as the tangerine 1 5/8 racing header. Very happy with it! Really deep and throaty at idle, up to a scream at high rpms. I almost shat myself the first time I heard it fire it sounded so good! biggrin.gif
I'll also say that the stub pipes on the header are a bit of genius. No need to remove the exhaust studs if you need to pull the header.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/914headers.htm
7TPorsh
Tangerine is way out of my budget. Was thinking an sc muffler. ?
7TPorsh
I am thinking of one of these? Anyone have one on a 914?

Click to view attachment
porschetub
I don't see why not they are a pretty good design,without seeing your system you could have some clearance issues so some work may be required there.
Upside....easier to find than the dual inlet (cheaper),should give a nice exhaust note also
Downsides.....they are very heavy and will need good support,perhaps the stock support bracket may need beefing up and modified more like the bracket on the 911 then you could use those 911 clamps.
Renspeed (i think) have the clamps in stainless....very good quality bought a set last month.
aircooledtechguy
I'm about a month away from firing mine up for the Squarsche. I'll let you know how it sounds and works.

IPB Image
Chris914n6
I have the SC on my nissan vq30. Exits out the factory valance notch on the drivers side. Fit is good.
It's a 75 chassis so I welded on brackets to hang it from bolts where the bumper shocks used to be.
7TPorsh
Here is what I am looking at...car is on ramps so pics are a little difficult. You can see how far out the header comes. I can't seem to slide the collector all the way on. When I add the reducer there's no room for a muffler.

There is a lot of room back there and thought this sc muffler setup may work but i don't know dimensions of the muffler...will it fit up behind the bumper and valance?

Can I mount it to the stock bracket points and run the pipes in and out?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
IPB Image

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
Is that a rubber mount between the muffler and body?

--DD
Chris914n6
^^ Yes. Technically a repurposed section from a tire with holes punched in it. Never seem them before but evidently common, as a former Midas Muffler shop mechanic did it back in my RH days. He overruled my plan to use straps over the shield a'la 911.

First pic I found.
7TPorsh
So it is not hard connected? is all the weight on the exhaust studs?.

i am thinking the entire exhaust system needs to be hard connected and supported.
Dave_Darling
If it gets hard connected, it must be to the transaxle, not the body! (Which includes the heat shield.) The whole drivetrain moves around, and if you solid mount the muffler to the body it will break the muffler, or the exhaust, or the exhaust studs. Something's gotta give, as they say.

The soft mount should support the weight of the muffler, but still allow it to move as the drivetrain moves. Hopefully it's good enough.

--DD
Chris914n6
No weight on the studs, it's all supported by the rubber straps. Since the pre-75 doesn't have the body nuts for the bumper shocks, it would be easier to make a support bracket following the factory design. As you would say... hard connected.

Given how rusty my muffler turned out being this was the better choice, and with consideration of future plans.
7TPorsh
I'm thinking to weld on a factory bracket and bolt up to the end of the trans. Then run the pipes in and out.
porschetub
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 1 2015, 01:23 PM) *

I'm thinking to weld on a factory bracket and bolt up to the end of the trans. Then run the pipes in and out.

Yep mentioned that ,find a 911 exhaust mount and mod that and mix and match with the 914 one...,cheers.
7TPorsh
Well I have decided to go a different route. I am thinking any affordable muffler is going to probably be shot. a good one is $250+.

So going with this Magnaflow turbo muffler. It will be mounted behind the trans.

Click to view attachment
don-6
I have an 86 Carrera Muffler. PM sent.
7TPorsh
WHat do you guys do with the clutch and speedo cable? Mine is routed on top of the engine bar but it's rubbing the header now..Also I'm cooking the left side e-brake cable.

Do I need to re-do the clutch pulley somehow?
7TPorsh
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 7 2015, 10:28 AM) *

WHat do you guys do with the clutch and speedo cable? Mine is routed on top of the engine bar but it's rubbing the header now..Also I'm cooking the left side e-brake cable.

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Look up "Clutch Pulley Adapter" on Chris' website. You absolutely need to re-route it or it won't last more than a minute with the heat from the header.

http://tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend some kind of heat wrap for the cable. Chris sells those further down on that page.
rhodyguy
Also note Chris sells insulating sleeve material for cables.
914work
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jul 29 2015, 04:29 PM) *

I'm about a month away from firing mine up for the Squarsche. I'll let you know how it sounds and works.

IPB Image

Nate did you enlarge that inlet/flange?
7TPorsh
Lots of things to deal with when adding a header:
- the clutch and speedo cable
- the driver side e brake cable

....and now pipe diameter. The header collects into a 2.5" pipe. The muffler i am going to use also has 2.5" inlet and outlet. Am I ok running 2.5" the entire length or should i be reducing it to 2.25 or 2" .

I can reduce before and after the muffler...or just after. I noticed the 911 exhaust tips are for 2.5"

Running a tweaked 1.7 with dual carbs and a cam. Is 2.5" too big?
7TPorsh
Welding day at the local muffler shop...the before shot

Click to view attachment

WHat's going in???

Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
Custom fit
Click to view attachment

Fire!!
Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
Nice Clean butt! ... and sounds really good!

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Looks great!
Dave_Darling
If it's feasible, I would suggest supporting the muffler off the end of the transmission, the way the factory did it. The whole drivetrain can move relative to the body. If you've got a hard mount from the muffler to the body, that can put stress on the headers or the various joints in the system. If the system can handle that, it's cool. But if the joints are solid, that's not so good.

If you mount to the transmission, the mounting should keep its position relative to the exhaust ports pretty well. Much less flexing is needed that way.

--DD
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 14 2015, 03:43 PM) *

If it's feasible, I would suggest supporting the muffler off the end of the transmission, the way the factory did it. The whole drivetrain can move relative to the body. If you've got a hard mount from the muffler to the body, that can put stress on the headers or the various joints in the system. If the system can handle that, it's cool. But if the joints are solid, that's not so good.

If you mount to the transmission, the mounting should keep its position relative to the exhaust ports pretty well. Much less flexing is needed that way.

--DD

Thanks Dave, you are exactly correct. We cut some of the stock mount arm off and welded the bracket to the back of the muffler on one side and the pipe on the other. So yes supported entirely by the drive-train; no body mounts at all. smile.gif
7TPorsh
Also notice the Tangerine Racing piece to lower the clutch cable....kinda neat how it's tangerine color...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Excellent fabrication, he is a first class muffler guy smile.gif
Post a sound track with the Magnaflow muffler when you get a chance !
Marty
7TPorsh
Here's an update (sound of typewriters)....what's a typewriter?

Since the car is getting some treats I decided to update my sound. The Magnaflow I have been running is quieter than stock.... mad.gif Everyone brags about the sound, etc, etc. Yeah it looks shiny but no sound.

So following some advice from Marty (Maltese Falcon) I looked into SpinTech. Called them up Monday and custom ordered my configuration.

2.5" single inlet / 2.25" split dual outlet.

In my hand Thursday afternoon....incredible. off to the muffler shop once the car gets it's new shifter bushings...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Car will have a 911 exhaust tip on each side....need a new right side valance cutout now.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 7 2015, 01:28 PM) *

Fire sleeve and hose hangers.
Tangerine had a pulley bracket that flips the bracket on it's side.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mark Henry
Just did my e-brake cable with fire sleeve. biggrin.gif
I should have used a smaller diameter, maybe 1/2", but I had 1" on hand. I'll try to tie it up so it's not touching later.

It's a /6 but you get the idea.
Maltese Falcon
Can't wait to see the finished product Gary...see you at the Petersen Cruise-in Sunday 6/25/17 ? We will be there in something grey with carbon ceramic brakes/ big yellow Brembos driving.gif
7TPorsh
icon_bump.gif ing my thread to post an update.

After playing around with the looks of the car and making it a little more racy, I'm came to the realization that the car was too quiet. Sounds great but too quiet.

I totally recommend the Magnaflow to anyone looking for a deep tone sound without much of an increase in volume from stock. ...and i'm running a header too.

So I did some research, measurements, etc. and decided on a SpinTech "Camaro" type muffler. These have a single inlet and dual outlets. Spintech builds these to your specs if not already available. They did a 2 1/2" inlet and dual 2 1/4" outlets for me and I had it in 4 days from SoCal.

Looks low but really isn't; just cause of the color... still higher than engine/tranny...

Different welder.....this guy is in Chatsworth and is awesome....former Porsche mechanic from TRE. Look at the quality of the welds/bends....very satisfied.

New sound? Unbelievable!! Louder-Yes Deeper-Yes Racy-Yes Yes Yes

car has a Ferrari ish growl between shifts that I'm really liking, I know why they call it "Spin" Tech now. It's like a really deep BRRRRrrrrrrr[size=5] as the revs go down.....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mueller
^Still enjoying that SpinTech muffler setup? smile.gif
7TPorsh
Oh yeah, I get nothing but compliments....everyone thinks it's a 6 . Really deep sound...
Larmo63
Tangerine clutch pulley set-up with Patrick Motorsports delrin pulley:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.