Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suby Trans whining on decel (with vid)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris H.
OK guys, I'm hoping someone knows WTF this is...I bought my 2006 WRX trans from a reputable guy on NASIOC. It only has 66k on it. The 2006 WRX was a 2.5T so more than capable of handling the 3.3L engine. It has a whine only on decel, and ONLY in gears 3-5. It has plenty of trans oil in it, Subaru OEM ($$$), compensating for the angle and missing center diff. I've done a lot of research on bad Subaru transes and when they go out there are a lot of other "bad noises". Terminal noises usually occur all the time, more often on accel than decel. There is NO grinding, ticking, squealing, humming, etc. in this thing. Just the "school bus whine" on decel.

Have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Xj8GA6BDY

Just to clarify my comments on the video:

1. I ran the test several times and I ONLY got the whine on decel
2. It ONLY whines in gears 3-5 and gets louder with each gear

I was a little wishy-washy on those those things in the vid.

I had one odd thought...could it be the gear selector is slightly off kilter and rubbing something in gears 3-5 idea.gif ?

There were a few threads on NASIOC that said "just ignore it"..hard to do that when it's so loud and I would hate to make it worse if there something wrong with it...but...it's hard to believe there's something too terribly wrong when it shifts well with no grinding, never pops out of gear, hauls ass, etc.

Anyone have thoughts on what it is?
JRust
Normally the guys on Nasioc are pretty good. WTF is up with just ignore it. Thats definitely not normal. Looking from under like you it sure seems to be coming from the passenger side. Looks like the CV is a little off to me. Seems like the whine coincides with the kind of odd roll to the CV. If you unhook your CV is your sound still there confused24.gif

Hopefully some smarter people will chime in smile.gif
Chris H.
Good question...I was wondering if it was the CV but thought it should happen in every gear. Can't hurt to check. The CV boot was removed from that side when I got the pair so I had to re clamp it but who knows...maybe there is something wrong with it.

IanJ
Have you checked your 2wd lockout is fitted correctly?
These boxes can get noisy when the bearings in the transfer case are worn.
That noise actually sounds like rubbing rather than grinding.
Chris H.
Great question...I should have mentioned that I took the plate off and confirmed that the diff lock was torqued enough (it's 90 lbs). Pretty sure it's more than that now.

I've also experimented with various levels of trans fluid, 4 quarts, 5 quarts, 6 quarts, and filled to the brim. No change.

The noise is not grinding, it's a whine. Sounds a lot like a school bus decelerating.
76-914
You didn't mention it was 3/5 only. chair.gif I haven't been past the center diff in one of these yet but that sounds like a clue. idea.gif

EDIT: Just went back and listened to your video. Your problem is your exhaust system. It's too damned quite. Get some glass packs and you won't hear those annoying sounds. biggrin.gif Honestly, I'm stumped. No difference between jack stands and actually driving it?
Chris H.
I know...just figured that out when I put it up on stands! Makes you realize how little you use those first two gears. 1st..pedal down, 2nd pedal down, 3rd, coast...whiiiine......that's what I'm getting. I'll pull that CV for fun, but if there isn't a change I'll have to open it up. If it was grinding, making bad sounds all the time, etc, I would just part it out (the trans not the car!!!) but I'm convinced it's something minor.
76-914
Chris, if that noise goes away when you disconnect the CV then remove the wheel and try again after your reinstall the CV. Same result? I'm thinking inertial influence which gets back into the tranny.
Chris H.
Yeah I'll try that. Bob will be rolling his eyes when he sees this biggrin.gif . I just can't leave it alone. Should just get the one he offered me and shut up about it! Still want another one to have as a spare either way but I spent so much $$$ on this one I want to see if it's something I can tweak.
IM101
Hmmmm, have not seen that before, my first guess was the trans fluid level but it sounds like that is off the table.

I'll ask a few of my subaru mechanic friends to look at the video.
ThePaintedMan
That sucks Chris! Have you had a chance to pop the drain plug off? Even if you don't drain the whole thing, it would be nice to see if there is any sign of debris coming out in the first couple of seconds.
DBCooper
To me it sounds like a harmonic vibration, not gears or bearings. Do you get that same noise when driving the car? Or only when it's on jack stands and all pressure's off?

Chris H.
No significant debris in the drain plug George.

DB - It makes the noise whether it's on jack stands or not. Slightly different cadence to the sound when driving (the whine pulses are more spaced apart when driving). You're right, it's an odd noise, hard to pinpoint exactly what it is.

I'm wondering if it's something odd like the shift selector rubbing the case or something.

Ian - Really appreciate circulating this to some experts. I don't know anyone who works on Subaru transmissions. Thanks a lot.
mgp4591
Looks like you were checking for vibrations in the case- did you find any? I agree it's sounding like it's rubbing somewhere but isolating it may come down to pulling the axles. You may not be hearing it in the lower gears due to lower drivetrain speeds but no noise at all in first thru third is very perplexing. No signs of tire rubbing or debris in the brake calipers? Next step, take a stethoscope (or a long thin screwdriver with the handle pressed against your ear and hold the business end on the case in several places, careful around moving parts!) and use it to pinpoint the vibration or noise. May even be an indexed wheel bearing and the higher speeds make it more evident. Other than that, talk to your local Subaru dealers service dept.- they see stuff all the time and it may be worth the hour of diagnosis charge to get a professional opinion. Good luck!
Chris H.
Update....it's possible that someone (me) may have used the thinner of the two washers when in stalling my locking spool. Supposed to use the thicker one. The fluid is draining now and we'll find out. I just pulled the extra stuff I have left over and the washer in that baggie is 4mm thick. IF I did that it's possible that the gear stack is sliding 1-2 mm and causing the whining noise. FINGERS CROSSED!

mgp4591
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 29 2015, 08:23 PM) *

Update....it's possible that someone (me) may have used the thinner of the two washers when in stalling my locking spool. Supposed to use the thicker one. The fluid is draining now and we'll find out. I just pulled the extra stuff I have left over and the washer in that baggie is 4mm thick. IF I did that it's possible that the gear stack is sliding 1-2 mm and causing the whining noise. FINGERS CROSSED!

What made you think of that? Sounds like you're on the right track and it definitely could drag and make noise... what noises I'm not sure but you'll figure it out! idea.gif
Chris H.
Ian did. That wasn't it though I don't think.

Turns out I may not have reinstalled one of the two 4mm adjusting washers which go BEHIND the locking spool. Don't know why I would do that but I did. I'll test it later today but I'm thinking a couple of mm of slack would cause some sliding around and make the gears quite a bit off. Lesson learned: look at the exploded view diagram for your trans before installing your spool, no matter how easy it seems.
Chris H.
So that was it. NO whine AT ALL! Thanks for all the advice. It led me to the problem.

I think the last spacer washer was in a spot where it wasn't intuitive that it should stay or go (unless you read the MANUAL blink.gif ) and when I took it out it made the spool flush with the splines on the trans. So it made sense but was totally WRONG. Just like an Enzo Fiero.

IM101
Glad we could help Chris.
76-914
Hot Damn, you da Man! piratenanner.gif I'll tell on myself now. The last time I had the drive train out before the initial start up I realized that I had not installed the ring that the crank sensor uses. Otherwise I would have gone thru a few batteries before I found it. av-943.gif Congratulations Chris. I know there were a few "lows" there for you but you hung in there. BTW, your car sounds great. Now go drive the piss out that thing. And embarrass a few cars. happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.