Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 96mm pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I have some 96mm p&C from AA. The pistons are flat top with a cut out for high valve lift.
These pistons have no arrows on the tops (point to flywheel) although the ones in the picture do

My question is this; When installing the piston the cutouts should be on the lower part of the cylinders the same side as the pushrods? If you understand what I mean. I guess this is a dumb question but I dont want to mess it up

Thanks

IPB Image
Spoke
I thought the arrows on the pistons should point towards the flywheel. Not sure if the cutouts and the arrows have the same orientation on all pistons or there's a left and right piston. Someone with more knowledge will chime in.

I have a set of these P/C at home. Consensus from the 'World members was overwhelmingly negative on these P/C because of cylinder/piston roundness.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 29 2015, 09:33 AM) *

I thought the arrows on the pistons should point towards the flywheel. Not sure if the cutouts and the arrows have the same orientation on all pistons or there's a left and right piston. Someone with more knowledge will chime in.

I have a set of these P/C at home. Consensus from the 'World members was overwhelmingly negative on these P/C because of cylinder/piston roundness.

There are no arrows on my pistons. Nice to know they are crap, I will install them and hope for the best dry.gif
Valy
If the pistons have po kets for the valves, their orientation must allow the valves to go in the pockets.
The pistons and cylinders are fine. Those are the same iron cylinders everyone uses unless you want to go crazy and.pay x10 on the German ones.
I heard stories about not round cylinders but haven't seen one. I.use them without any problem. To be safe, you may check they are round.
Most important is the piston pin heigh. There are pistons for the 66mm crank (1.7 and 1.8L) and others for the 71mm crank (2L).
Make sure you have the right set or you will need to shim the cylinders by 2.5mm
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Valy @ Jul 29 2015, 10:40 AM) *

If the pistons have po kets for the valves, their orientation must allow the valves to go in the pockets.
The pistons and cylinders are fine. Those are the same iron cylinders everyone uses unless you want to go crazy and.pay x10 on the German ones.
I heard stories about not round cylinders but haven't seen one. I.use them without any problem. To be safe, you may check they are round.
Most important is the piston pin heigh. There are pistons for the 66mm crank (1.7 and 1.8L) and others for the 71mm crank (2L).
Make sure you have the right set or you will need to shim the cylinders by 2.5mm

Valv,

Thanks for the information. I will check that they are round. They are for a 71 mm stroke, but I guess I will find out when I install the first one. Yes the orientation with the pockets is what I wanted to confirm. I will be running D Jet are there any issues that you know of or are you running carbs?

Thanks
914Sixer
The piston on the far right has an arrow. Are you using a stock picture? The AA P&C are plenty good. There were some quality problems several years back but they are long gone.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 29 2015, 12:29 PM) *

The piston on the far right has an arrow. Are you using a stock picture? The AA P&C are plenty good. There were some quality problems several years back but they are long gone.

Yes this is a stock picture. The pistons I have do not have any arrows. Do members have any advice regarding orientering the pistons?
914fahrer
Hello ,look at this picture .

Click to view attachment

Gruss Ralf
DavidSweden
QUOTE(914fahrer @ Jul 29 2015, 01:18 PM) *

Hello ,look at this picture .

Click to view attachment

Gruss Ralf

So you mean as the pistons do not have arrows they can be installed on either side of the engine and do not have to orientated towards the flywheel like the stock pistons, I only need consider the location of the piston cutouts/valve travel?
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 29 2015, 12:33 PM) *

I sent you a PM on these...

I'm building a car that won't see many miles, so lasting 100k miles isn't a huge concern for me. If anyone has a set of 96mm P/C for a 2.0 crank they aren't going to use, please let me know.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I just saw an opportunity for a plug!

Valy
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Jul 29 2015, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Jul 29 2015, 10:40 AM) *

Valv,

Thanks for the information. I will check that they are round. They are for a 71 mm stroke, but I guess I will find out when I install the first one. Yes the orientation with the pockets is what I wanted to confirm. I will be running D Jet are there any issues that you know of or are you running carbs?

Thanks

I have L-Jet. Can't help you with D-Jet but there are many folks running 2056 on D-Jet. The increase in volume is not that big. The most important think is to keep a stockish camshaft.
McMark
Pockets go on the bottom. Pistons only have arrows if the wrist pin is offset (not centered). The AA are centered, so there is no top and bottom from that perspective.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 29 2015, 10:17 PM) *

Pockets go on the bottom. Pistons only have arrows if the wrist pin is offset (not centered). The AA are centered, so there is no top and bottom from that perspective.

Thanks very much for letting me know. I will install them today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.