Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: after jwest fuse box install fuel pump doesn't work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ringerdc
I have a '73 914 with a SBC conversion. Installed a jwest fuse box and now my fuel pump does't work. No longer getting power when ignition is in the on position. Thought it would be ease to diagnose but no luck so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Don
screenguy914
QUOTE(ringerdc @ Jul 29 2015, 12:19 PM) *

I have a '73 914 with a SBC conversion. Installed a jwest fuse box and now my fuel pump does't work. No longer getting power when ignition is in the on position. Thought it would be ease to diagnose but no luck so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Don

How is a JWest fuse box connected to the system? Schematic available?

Until further diagnosis, could be:
open circuit
no connection
fuel pump malfunction
no gas
malfunctioning ign. switch
blown fuse
relay malfunction

Sherwood
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(ringerdc @ Jul 29 2015, 12:19 PM) *

Don

Was the key powering the fuel pump BEFORE you installed Jwest box?
Is fuse to that connection blown & is battery dead [signed Captain Obvious bye1.gif ]?

Let's see some pictures too ........ [I have 73 SBC conversion build going (slowly) since it sat for 5++years without moving so I'm sorting out PO work---key does currently fire off my fuel pump]
Tom
If your fuel pump was working OK and you changed out the fuse box and now the fuel pump no longer works, the installer wired something wrong. The fuse block just provides power to the fuel pump circuit, it doesn't control when the fuel pump runs. Have the installer go back over their work. If it worked before, it should work now.
I would walk thru the fuel pump power for you, but with a conversion the fuel pump can be wired several different ways.
Tom
ringerdc
pump worked (off ignition switch) prior to updating fuse box.
engine compartment relay panel deleted and renegade wiring harness installed.
since renegade harness plugs into factory connection I assume that the fuel pump circuit is the same?

I think Tom is probably correct. Since the only change was the box I likely installed the new fuse box incorrectly and crossed some wires.

P.S.
gas in tank
no blown fuses
all relays good
battery charged

Just no juice to pump. I was hoping to avoid having to trace the circuit all the way back to the source.

Thanks for the input
Jeffs9146
The factory fuse box had jumpers that would power up other circuits when the key was turned on. You have to add those jumpers to the JWest box.
whitetwinturbo
Is "key on" firing up everything else besides pump? If no, a statistically interesting ignition switch failure could have occurred.
ringerdc
Anyone have a color coded schematic of the fuse box wiring? The diagrams in the manuals are pretty small and complex for us wiring impaired types.
falcor75
I swapped to a JWest fusebox in march and I took a bunch of pictures before I did it for reference. Will try to get those posted up and hopefully they will help you.
ringerdc
Thanks...should be very helpful
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.