Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Melling M-79AHP Oil Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
#27GLA
Anyone else using this oil pump on their Type IV engine and finding it leaks?
Having issues trying to get the cover plate to seal.....
Cover plate was leak free prior to rebuild......mechanic cleaned up.....reused and installed with paper gasket and Permatex Aircraft grade sealant.....no leaks till I went to track and got black flagged.....excessive smoke from under car.......Took it a part.....resealed and still leaked in the shop
Purchase new unit......sealed per instructions.....still leaks
Called Melling Pump......they can't figure it out either but overnighting new gaskets of several styles.....Installed new gaskets per their directions....still leaks
Going to Melling tomorrow as their manufacturing/RD is an hour away
Besides Melling......what other High Volume pumps are available that are reliable
Any use an O-ring to seal instead of a gasket
TVRLOTUSTR3
I cut a groove in the side of the pump and install an O ring. Works great, no leaks! The only problem is you need a lathe.
Firstcar
I think this has been "covered" elsewhere but the cover supplied with the Melling is a source of leaks - it flexes. I bought a type I cover from the Type IV store and it solved the problem. Applied Permatex 3H to case, gasket, and pump body. Applied Hylomar to cover gasket. Installed cover, Permatex 3H on studs, added wavy washers and torqued to 14.5 ft lbs. - no leaks.
#27GLA
Firstcar.......thanks for your response
Agree with the cover plate as the issue
Did try a stock VW cover plate my mechanic had in stock.....but could not get in onto the studs as there was not enough clearance using the Tangerine Racing fan set up...........some mods could be done to get one past
Which type Hylormar sealant do you recommend?..............see there are several grades
My visit to Melling was fruitful as they gave me a brand new pump they tested that AM.......it still leaked but considerable less.
Melling also prefers that you use no sealant at all
Searched forum but did not find a related thread.....
Mark Henry
I for one consider mellings to be junk.
Firstcar
Hylomar 71285:

http://www.competitionproducts.com/Valco-H...5/#.Vb0b2Ur3arU

The stock Type I cover has raised edges on all four sides, which prevents the cover from bowing. Some grinding away of one of the corner's raised edge is required to fit the fan shroud boss on the Type IV engine.
#27GLA
Have the stock plate and the sealant..............now to get to work
Yep........will need some mods to the plate to fit
Jake Raby
The problem is these pump bodies are machined before they are properly cooled.The bodies are elliptical and will not seal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.