Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Selector rod seal replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
Tomorrow's the day I finally install my new tangerine shift linkage. My tranny is leaking like a b*tch, so I figured I'd make the cut needed for the new linkage with the console off the tranny and swap out the seals at the same time.

Following the article on pelican, the old seal doesn't seem like the new seal, and I'm having trouble getting it out. The one in there seems to be encased in metal, whereas the one I bought off the bird is completely rubber.

Thought I'd double check on here before I use excessive force to get it out and damage something. Is the metal sleeve part of the seal? Am I supposed to reuse it on the new seal? Any tips on how to get it out, it's really stuck in there.

Thanks
John

IPB Image
Mblizzard
Yep that is a bitch of a seal to replace! Had the same thoughts when I saw the new seal. I had to resort to cutting the old one out. But the new one was a direct replacement.
john77
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 29 2015, 07:26 PM) *

Yep that is a bitch of a seal to replace! Had the same thoughts when I saw the new seal. I had to resort to cutting the old one out. But the new one was a direct replacement.

Thanks Mike. I have two different replacement seals, but neither look exactly like the one in there. Although the rubber in the one in there is the same blue color. So I have to get the metal sleeve out somehow, but that somehow can involve me destroying it?

IPB Image
Mblizzard
If I recall correctly the new ones are the correct size but are just built differently. Review the Hanes manual for the removal instructions. I am sure there is a trick that I missed but I had to completely destroy the old seal on mine to remove it. Dr. Evil may have a proven method of extraction. But I think it is just one that is a PITA.
john77
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 29 2015, 07:48 PM) *

If I recall correctly the new ones are the correct size but are just built differently. Review the Hanes manual for the removal instructions. I am sure there is a trick that I missed but I had to completely destroy the old seal on mine to remove it. Dr. Evil may have a proven method of extraction. But I think it is just one that is a PITA.

Okay, did it! Wow, it did not want to come out. I grabbed onto it with needle nose vise grips and then used all my body weight to lever it against itself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.