Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So cal drive thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Gmanscott55
Darn... Out of town at McCormicks Auction in Palm Springs.
23e Heure
<double post, sorry>
23e Heure

Hi guys.

UK based member here in LA until Sunday night.. are you guys organising a drive this weekend??

Any chance I can hitch a ride and take some photos?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Feb 21 2019, 12:37 AM) *

Hi guys.

UK based member here in LA until Sunday night.. are you guys organising a drive this weekend??

Any chance I can hitch a ride and take some photos?

SURE James...you can ride with me If you can make your way to Seal Beach Sun early AM...around 6ish.
As of now probably just a few cars but nice to get out for a little drive after recent rain storms.
PM me if interested.

Oscar
LS1V8Jerry
I’m in driving-girl.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(LS1V8Jerry @ Feb 22 2019, 07:05 AM) *

I’m in driving-girl.gif

That's awesome....

We can meet you at my house at 6am.
23e Heure (James) from London is leaving his rental car at my house as he's riding with me. We'll drive down to Seal Beach to meet up with Eddy before heading out for drive and breakfast.

red914.jpg signal914.jpg irish914.jpg chowtime.gif

Oscar
jim_hoyland
I’m coming...
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 22 2019, 09:33 AM) *

I’m coming...

terrific....
euro911
I'm out. dry.gif

I have a couple friends stopping by to finish digging dirt out from my crawl space so we can run HVAC ducting to my newly remodeled den. We got a lot knocked out today, but didn't quite finish ...

... and I don't have a running 914 anyway tongue.gif

Have fun aktion035.gif
sb914
See you tomorrow morning 6:30 glory days looks like only five of us “weak”. red914.jpg aubergine914.jpg andy914.jpg blue914.jpg ravenna914.jpg
sb914
Had a great time! We got to meet James ( 23e heure )
Great guy . We had six cars 2 4 cylinders 2 6s , and two eights .
We cruised had breakfast and drove a little more than headed home.
Thanks Jim h , Larmo, Oscar,James and even jerry who we had to wait for
And drives like a old lady! In his LS . poke.gif slap.gif Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Thanks for organizing the drive Eddie; it was good meeting James ( 23e heure ) who traveled across the pond.
Pic of James with Oscars 914-4 Raby
sb914
[quote name='jim_hoyland' date='Feb 24 2019, 02:19 PM'
Thanks for organizing the drive Eddie; it was good meeting James ( 23e heure ) who traveled across the pond.
Pic of James with Oscars 916-6
[/quote]
Jim...... Oscar car is 914-4. Raby
R8CERX
Nice day and great cars out there! piratenanner.gif
Next time, will do my best to get out --- booked weekend! headbang.gif
Felix
second wind
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 24 2019, 02:19 PM) *

Pic of James with Oscars 914-4 Raby

Ok....I thought it was Oscar's car....so who's car is the black/orange 3.6 that has got to be one of the top 10 art pieces I have seen around.....?? Thank you....
gg
Larmo63
That is Oscar's /6.

It's hard to miss, such a tough car. The orange is over the top and works perfectly.

It was so nice to meet a fellow 914 freak from across the pond. James was a perfect gentleman, and somehow he bought breakfast for us all. We really had a good drive, I encourage everyone to join in on these impromptu drives. A good time was had by all, and good that the cop that was behind Jerry (that I missed in the rear-view mirror) didn't pull me over.
LS1V8Jerry
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 24 2019, 02:48 PM) *

Had a great time! We got to meet James ( 23e heure )
Great guy . We had six cars 2 4 cylinders 2 6s , and two eights .
We cruised had breakfast and drove a little more than headed home.
Thanks Jim h , Larmo, Oscar,James and even jerry who we had to wait for
And drives like a old lady! In his LS . poke.gif slap.gif Click to view attachment

Hey buddy... if your going to talk smack say it to my face!! LOL this was a good time and I enjoyed hanging with you guys.
ValcoOscar
Great time with our new honorary SoCal member James.
Eddy and Larmo took us on a nice beach route. I lent James my blue car while I drove my black SIX.

Until next time...

OscarClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=687
341]Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
Hey. WTF.gif Wait a minute.
Click to view attachment

1970 Rallye Monte Carlo. #23. Lancia Fulvia 1.6 Coupé HF. Munari Sandro - Bernacchini Arnaldo. DNF

1972 Rallye Monte Carlo. #23. Alpine-Renault A110 1600. Nicolas Jean-Pierre - Vial Michel. 33 first.gif
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
James is blessed for just visiting SoCal, he was able to drive one of Oscar’s beautiful car and it is even the Car of Month! Well as usual Oscar is always a nice guy!

second wind
Mystery solved.....thank you.
gg
23e Heure
I landed back in London a couple of hours ago, and I am still BUZZING from the drive yesterday morning.

Oscar is a legend for loaning me his car, and I thank you all for making me feel so welcome.

It was still dark at 5.50am when I pulled up outside Oscar's place.
I knew the satnav must have taken me to the right address, when I saw this beauty parked outside:

IPB Image

It was only when I wandered up the drive to introduce myself that Oscar told me: "You're taking that one!"

No time to pinch myself, Jerry arrived just then, and it was time to head out into the still dark morning:

IPB Image

Any worries that you SoCal guys might be slow drivers were soon gone, as Oscar opened up his black 6, and I did the same to keep up in the blue GT:

IPB Image
23e Heure
As the sky started to turn pink and yellow, we soon arrived at Seal Beach where we met up with the rest of the group:

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
Even the super warm welcome the guys offered me could not ward off the cold of the morning, so we all jumped into the cars, and headed onto the PCH...

IPB Image

Eddie (Eddy?) is pretty brave putting the hammer down with all that V8 power, but only skinny wheels!

IPB Image

Now these photos aren't the best of the bunch - it's not easy to take good shots when a) driving someone else’s car and b) your hands are shaking because you are just so darned pumped with the situation you find yourself in.

IPB Image

But I want to post them here as a reminder for myself of simply the most special of moments.
You SoCal guys may have gotten used to your surroundings, but this is where I found myself:

...I am at the wheel of a SWEET GT...

...Glancing left I squint into the rising sun...

...Squirting off into the road ahead of me are 914s...

...In my rearview, more 914s...

...And then, when surely it can't get any better, the vista opens up to my right...
...And I see about 50 surfers riding the waves, their trucks and even a few old VW campers parked beachside.

You have NO idea how exotic a that entire scene is to a guy from London.. aktion035.gif

It is a moment I will surely treasure until my dying day sunglasses.gif

Of course, I didn't actually manage to get a photo of the surfers! I can just about make them out as dots on the sea in this one...

IPB Image
23e Heure
It wasn't long before the pier at Huntingdon Beach came into view:

IPB Image

Jim was still keeping up at the back!

IPB Image
23e Heure
Lawrence led us a merry dance through the back streets of Huntingdon, our exhausts waking the joggers and dog walkers, up early to buy their over priced coffees.

And then we found ourselves facing the pier. GREAT photo opp!

IPB Image
23e Heure
More scaring of the locals whilst being led by our pied piper, Larmo...
Next thing we knew the sound of his pipes had led us out onto Balboa Island:

IPB Image
ValcoOscar
James-

It was our pleasure having you join us. Nice pictures and write up.
I felt the same way when I meet up with the Nor-Cal, East Coast and South West 914 groups.
I've been part of different car scenes over the past 40 years but the 914 community rocks, IMHO!!!

Gotta give a shout out to Andy and all admin...thx for giving us this playground.

Oscar
sb914
Good to meet you James. What a great day. Had a blast.
23e Heure
Oh, for sure... the 914 community rocks... if our cars are misfits, then how about us the owners!?

blink.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I LOVE this car!

IPB Image
23e Heure
I think it's safe to say that I made five new friends yesterday.

Thanks guys for making me an honorary SoCal region member.

Work will bring me back to LA soon, I'm just hoping I can make it coincide with another chance to be part of the crew again...

IPB Image

euro911
thumb3d.gif

Looks like you fellers had a good time. Maybe some day I'll have a running car again and be able to brave a cold early morning drive too confused24.gif

driving.gif

whitetwinturbo
Oscar!

.........................ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK!

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
914 Ranch
I'm glad to see you guys enjoy my home turf...
I do miss the West Coast, the Team NARP party's and the views. My house is 3 miles down Warner which is the light at the Jack-in-the-box in the picture.
I still have to finish up my divorce and will have to go back and flip that house and we will have The last party at Team NARP Headquarters.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Feb 28 2019, 02:43 AM) *

I do miss the West Coast, the Team NARP party's and the views. My house is 3 miles down Warner which is the light at the Jack-in-the-box in the picture.
I still have to finish up my divorce and will have to go back and flip that house and we will have The last party at Team NARP Headquarters.

The NARP Bar-B-Ques are legendary; It would be great not do one again.
ValcoOscar
Hey guys...I got this link from James.

Again...great time.

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...f=1&t=64424

Oscar

euro911
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 28 2019, 04:29 AM) *

The NARP Bar-B-Ques are legendary; It would be great not TO do one again.
Absolutely !!!

jsharp.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 28 2019, 06:04 AM) *

Hey guys...I got this link from James.

Again...great time.

Oscar

Here is an active link as I could not get through on the link provided.

whitetwinturbo

Let me know how I can help you with any Real Estate matters.... beerchug.gif
23e Heure
This thread has been a bit quiet...
Are you guys still doing your last Sunday of the month drives?
I'm hoping to be back later in the year, and will try tagging along again!

In the meantime, I've been spending most of my time in Asia with work, but am trying to meet with Porsche folks wherever I go.

Here is a morning in Bangkok, for your pleasure:
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...f=1&t=64686

No 914s that morning, but one of the guys I met there is part way thru a full resto of a 74 2.0, and I hope to snap that on one of my later visits to Thailand.
He reckons that there are less than 5 914s alive and running in all of Thailand!
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(23e Heure @ May 3 2019, 07:49 AM) *

This thread has been a bit quiet...
Are you guys still doing your last Sunday of the month drives?
I'm hoping to be back later in the year, and will try tagging along again!

In the meantime, I've been spending most of my time in Asia with work, but am trying to meet with Porsche folks wherever I go.

Here is a morning in Bangkok, for your pleasure:
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...f=1&t=64686

No 914s that morning, but one of the guys I met there is part way thru a full resto of a 74 2.0, and I hope to snap that on one of my later visits to Thailand.
He reckons that there are less than 5 914s alive and running in all of Thailand!

Hey James-

Good to hear from you...we tend to have informal drives and meet ups here in So Cal all the time.
Let us know in advance and maybe we can hit up a different area to drive to next time.

Curious of the condition of the 5 914's in Thailand with all that humidity.

Take care and safe travels,

Oscar
jim_hoyland
James,

The 2019 WCR is coming up this June in Monrovia and surrounds. See the thread in the garage; great opportunity to meet more 924’s and drive in the local mountains.
23e Heure
Hey guys,
Any plans for a drive this coming Sunday (June 30th)?
I fly back out to LA tomorrow, and it would be great to catch up again.
Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.