Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN NUMBERS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
Hi peeps,

Is there a way to see where my car has been before I got it? I ask it alot while i'm working on it, but she's not talking...... Is that what the VIN is for?

I use alot of the check your car's vin on sites, but it always tells me there's not enough numbers...

just curious.

fat lando
davep
The Carfax does not work with the older VIN's, only with the new coded VIN's.
There is not much one can do to trace ownership.
Joe Bob
Carfax and the other services require a standard VIN number that Porsche did not adopt until 1981. So....your 1975 914 isn't going to be there.....

SOME Motor Vehicle Departments will disclose past registrations when requested. More than likely not with an address. I have heard of online title search companies that work out of Florida but have never used them.

Good Luck
Bleyseng
Let's see, yours was born in '75 and since it hasn't rusted away yet was in Calif for all its life before coming to the great NW 2 years ago.

Hows that?

Geoff
fatlando
wow, thats scary and cool! thanx for the info!! biggrin.gif
bd1308
could have been a garage queen too....
Joe Ricard
I know #945 has been to hell and back.

#6656 is in Hell right now, I'll be bringing it back piece by piece. I do know it had a trip through AA. Got a pic to prove it.
bryanthompson
If you have friends at the local courthouse, they can look up all of that for you. We had to do that to find the actual title-holder of a 240z my friend just bought... Turns out, the DPO 2 owners back had the title and lived in Cali. 5 days later, it was in the mail on the way to my friend's house. Dunno how much information their rules will allow them to give out, but... we got what we needed.

Funny thing is, the PO thought the car had gone to the crusher years ago and was very surprised it was even alive.

Edit: mistyped, PO was from Cali not FL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.