Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repro Exterior Door Handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gms
here are some pictures of the reproduction Exterior Door Handles sold by Pelican Parts. All in all the look pretty good for the price. I will hold final judgement for when I install them and use them for a while. Here are some pix
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I'd be suspect of that door lock bushing. Looks like a straight piece of tube. I know these should have a step in them. From what I've seen of these the finish is not quite right. It's 95%. Looks like is pretty good, but they needed one more stage on the outer finish as you can see the machine marks if you look closely. But for a DD no problem.
76-914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 30 2015, 07:04 AM) *

I'd be suspect of that door lock bushing. Looks like a straight piece of tube. I know these should have a step in them.

Do tell! Is that the plastic sleeve you sell? If so, would changing that sleeve make it OK? PS< received my order in full, Thx Mark.
Mikey914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 30 2015, 07:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 30 2015, 07:04 AM) *

I'd be suspect of that door lock bushing. Looks like a straight piece of tube. I know these should have a step in them.

Do tell! Is that the plastic sleeve you sell? If so, would changing that sleeve make it OK? PS< received my order in full, Thx Mark.

I actually machined an aluminum bushing as with grease over time the plastic breaks down. What I was concerned about was the piece I can see in the picture just looks like a straight tube. It may fill the bap, but I'm curious as if it has more play in it than it should.
I do make the door cams also, but this appears adequate.
gms
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 30 2015, 09:04 AM) *

I'd be suspect of that door lock bushing. Looks like a straight piece of tube...

I have not installed the tumbler yet but i did get your metal seals, i will let you know how it turns out
McMark
We had a problem with installing a lock cylinder. I wasn't the one with hands on the part, so I can't go into any more detail. But there was some sort of clearance issue. May have been just that one though. Curious to see what your experience is.
rhodyguy
What does aa get for a l&r? The total.
tweet
I've had NOS Porsche door handles, new production Porsche handles and aftermarket repop door handles. Nothing that is currently being manufactured has the quality of the original NOS. I have compared them sided by side, inspected and worked with them for customers. I have weighed them as well, to compare the amount of material they are cast from. If you buy any new handle being made today, you will find that the chrome work is not what it once was. You can get as good a finish or better by rebuilding/rechroming your handles with a good shop. As for quality, I doubt they would last 40+ years like the originals have. Bottom line, they are okay for someone on a budget willing to rebuild their handles on their own. As for value, considering you are building the handle yourself and the handles do not come with an OEM Porsche key, the perceived value is up to the individual buyer.
914Sixer
DO NOT buff the reproduction door handles with a polishing wheel. It will burn through the chrome in a heart beat. I tried to clean up a couple of blemishes and the chrome went away.
URY914
Remember to send them to me when they break. biggrin.gif

And they will! laugh.gif

McMark
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 30 2015, 03:09 PM) *

DO NOT buff the reproduction door handles with a polishing wheel. It will burn through the chrome in a heart beat. I tried to clean up a couple of blemishes and the chrome went away.

True, but more directly - you can't polish chrome.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 30 2015, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 30 2015, 03:09 PM) *

True, but more directly - you can't polish chrome.

And all these years they've been selling chrome polish to poor unsuspecting fools! Fraud I tell you! Fraud! blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.