Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Went Crazy & Cleaned the Enging Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
After taking the off plenum to check its integity for leaks I also needed to remove the intakes for new gaskets so I figured WTH, let's clean it up idea.gif It was dirty to say the least but after 3 hours of gas & Brinkmans brake cleaning stuff the grease is gone & it's ready to paint. I'd like to do a Hammerite black or orange on the tin & opposite on the intakes & various other components. Orange tin & black runners. I dunno confused24.gif but sumpin like that.

Here a before & after of dirty & clean. Mind you, there is some surface rust showing on the tin in places but it wasn't visible until I removed the grease rolleyes.gif

If it doesn't run better at least it'll look better beer.gif

.........b
Type 4
You should pull the tin and clean the fins on the cylinders and the Oil cooler.
McMark
agree.gif

Looks good! biggrin.gif
Series9
Holy crap! You blew off the coil and the distributor. ohmy.gif
redshift
Where's the other stuff!

It needs those 'strings' tied to the right places.

smile.gif

M
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Feb 27 2005, 10:57 PM)
You should pull the tin and clean the fins on the cylinders and the Oil cooler.

I kept looking at doing that. What stopped me was having to crawl under the car to disconnect the wiring that goes thru the hole on the drivers side. It'd sure make painting the tin a whole lot easier, huh...
Jes' might do do dat smash.gif

............b
drgchapman
Your being sucked in deeper and deeper............. unsure.gif
sean_v8_914
while your in there you should...
tie a safety line to your ankle so your loved ones can find you
markb
Dirk Wright's disease in action..... smile.gif
Bruce Allert
markb Posted on Feb 28 2005, 09:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dirk Wright's disease in action.....  
sean_v8_914 Posted on Feb 28 2005, 09:11 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
while your in there you should...
tie a safety line to your ankle so your loved ones can find you  
drgchapman Posted on Feb 28 2005, 07:52 AM
Your being sucked in deeper and deeper.............  

agree.gif it never ends huh.gif

I s'pose I could'a just pulled the engine with the amount of time I spent cleaning yesterday.
Why din't anyone suggest that?
(nope, ain't a gunna do dat) wouldn't be prudent laugh.gif

...b
Bleyseng
Take the tin to have it powder coated Bruce. If you just paint it with a rattle can then it comes off. The powdercoaters will bead blast off the rust and she'll look like a million bucks.
Definately clean the cylinders with carb cleaner after you take off the tin as the enging (your spelling) will run cooler.

Geoff biggrin.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 28 2005, 09:32 AM)
as the enging (your spelling) will run cooler.

Geoff biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Good Gawd! I can't believe I missed that biggrin.gif good catch Geoff. I know how I did that... the "G" is real close to the "E", right? rolleyes.gif

I'd love to powder coat the tins but... well, that's another story type.gif

........b
McMark
The only thing you have to "get under the car" to disconnect is the wires off the starter. Easy to reach and you don't need to jack up the car to do it. Pull the tin, my man. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.