Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving light switch color?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Blue6
Found in my box of goodies a driving/ fog light switch which looks new. Anyway it's an ugly kinda faded orange looking color. Is this for early or late cars? Thank you.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jul 30 2015, 08:01 PM) *

Found in my box of goodies a driving/ fog light switch which looks new. Anyway it's an ugly kinda faded orange looking color. Is this for early or late cars? Thank you.

I think they were green through 1972 and then amber/gold/yellow/ugly faded orange after that. And I think they are all fog lights based on the lens fluting, except maybe on the 6's?
SchwarzHorse
1973 and newer, or "late"
Larmo63
For some reason, to me, the yellow looks more Porsche and the green looks more VW.

confused24.gif
Tom_T
I differ with some replies above, as I've done a lot of research on this for my early 73 2L's resto, & the "Amber" is 74 - 76 & Green is 70 - 73, with some mixing in the late 73 & early 74 cars when both were in the parts bin. Same switch component - just a different bezel insert AFAIK.

p914.com has excellent info on this sort of what MY stuff folks, but nothing on the fog light switch AFAIK.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914Sixer
Both of the inserts carry VW parts numbers.
steuspeed
My fog light switch is yellow 1973 2.0L.
JawjaPorsche
My 73 is green. Build date 10/72.
maf914
The 914 and 914/6 Restoration Guide by Dr. B. Johnson indicates that the switch was green through 72 and yellow/gold from 73 on. Accurate? confused24.gif

mepstein
All my early cars have been green and mid or late have been yellow.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 31 2015, 02:13 AM) *

I differ with some replies above, as I've done a lot of research on this for my early 73 2L's resto, & the "Amber" is 74 - 76 & Green is 70 - 73, with some mixing in the late 73 & early 74 cars when both were in the parts bin. Same switch component - just a different bezel insert AFAIK.

p914.com has excellent info on this sort of what MY stuff folks, but nothing on the fog light switch AFAIK.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Bingo except it wasn't "some mixing" it was a common place event at the factory.
VW didn't care, what ever was still in the bin got used in many cases. VW mid year changes were always because they had too many parts left over.
This happened right from the 1940's till likely the time supply became automated.
anderssj
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 1 2015, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 31 2015, 02:13 AM) *

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Bingo except it wasn't "some mixing" it was a common place event at the factory.
VW didn't care, what ever was still in the bin got used in many cases. VW mid year changes were always because they had too many parts left over.
This happened right from the 1940's till likely the time supply became automated.

agree.gif

There was another aspect of color mixing going on too--the amber switches sometimes had a green translucent diffuser behind the amber lens . . .

Click to view attachment

Maybe VW did that to decrease the illuminated switch's reflection in the windshield? idea.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 31 2015, 06:44 PM) *

Mark that is good to know as I need some of each.

Now to do some Googling to get those numbers - cheers!
anderssj
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 1 2015, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 31 2015, 06:44 PM) *

Mark that is good to know as I need some of each.

Now to do some Googling to get those numbers - cheers!

I think the yellow cap was 111 941 543H

hope this helps!
PancakePorsche
My very early 73 is still green. Appeared to be mid year change to yellow.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Aug 2 2015, 03:36 AM) *

My very early 73 is still green. Appeared to be mid year change to yellow.

I wouldn't be surprised if late in 1976, when they got to the bottom of the bin, some green inserts got installed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.