Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renn shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I noticed that the Rennshifter keeps getting pushed back in avaiability date. Anyone know wha the story is?
Andyrew
You mean the junior model? Or... what??
Dr Evil
Nope, the new and improved big daddy model.
Andyrew
Forgot about that one...

Hmm, I guess its time I spring for one of those goodies...

Does he say they'll be ready for the wcc??
JWest
Dr., I thought I sent you an e-mail with the story...

I'm waiting on one last part from the machine shop now. Shifters are being assembled, and I have a long list of pre-interest to take care of before I will offer general sales.

There will be a new RennShift in the give-away at WCC.
larryp
James-

What is the difference between this one and your original?
JWest
QUOTE (larryp @ Feb 28 2005, 09:38 AM)
James-

What is the difference between this one and your original?

The reason for the change was that I was having a hard time keeping up with production.

I went back to the drawing board and created a design that could have more of the parts deliverd to me in finished condition.

Also, I made it more modular, so there are less versions. With the old version I had to wait for orders because of the many variations. The times I would try to pre-build would leave me with certain models on the shelf for too long.

The operation of the actual shifter is unchanged from the old RennShift, there were no issues in that department, so actual shifting between old and new is the same.
Dr Evil
Hey James,
I wasn't trying to call you out, simply curious. You did send me an email, I just forgot. I can't wait to see the new one at WCC!
JWest
Here is a sneek peek for you guys!

Dr Evil
You wonderful, wicked person! Now I am realy wanting one..... dry.gif
scotty b
dry.gif Could I get a pic of Salma Hayek holding your shifter and a set of nickes while leaning on Joes GT??

and a towel? drooley.gif
ppickerell
James,
Rich Bontempi has ordered a shift kit from you for my car. Approx when is his order going to ship?
pete-stevers
that shifter looks great.....I think I have enough toonies....but what is the exact price....
now that you have us all drooling biggrin.gif
McMark
Can I use the stock shifter knob. I know, I know. Stop laughing. But really, can I?
RON S.
James,
Any chance a few of the new shifters will be going to the April swap in Hershey?Last year Herzog had a table with a few for sale and the temptation was great.I only passed cause they didn't have any shift levers.Lookin at the photo though,it may be good I've waited.That's a nice looking piece.

Quexchun though?

Will the shift units work okay in a 914/6 that has been converted to a 915 trans & Vellios side shifter?
That's what I've done.

Ron
JWest
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 1 2005, 12:57 AM)
James,
Rich Bontempi has ordered a shift kit from you for my car. Approx when is his order going to ship?

Rich called me soon after I stopped production of the old unit. He did not actually place an order, but I'll be letting him know right away when the new shifter is all ready.

ChrisFoley
I was planning to email you James, but since this topic is here - Can you have a new unit ready for me before I leave for Atlanta on March 21st?
JWest
QUOTE (RON S. @ Mar 1 2005, 06:52 AM)
James,
Any chance a few of the new shifters will be going to the April swap in Hershey?Last year Herzog had a table with a few for sale and the temptation was great.I only passed cause they didn't have any shift levers.Lookin at the photo though,it may be good I've waited.That's a nice looking piece.

Quexchun though?

Will the shift units work okay in a 914/6 that has been converted to a 915 trans & Vellios side shifter?
That's what I've done.

Ron

Probably not at Hershey. I have too many pre-interests and I don't think I'll get them all filled and have enough spares on the shelf by the time Hershey comes around.

One version of the shifter will work in place of all 901, 911, 914 tail-shift, and 915 shifters. The other version will work with 914 side-shift. So I have you covered.

The price will be about $470. That will include both a manual (operate with a knob) and automatic (like the factory 915) reverse lockout. The base is powdercoated and the stick is polished aluminum.

Changing the position of the main pivot bolt (accessible through a side access in the housing) will enable switching between 20% and 33% throw reduction.

The knob shown is one I make, and will be available as a separate option, and will also fit on a factory shifter using the crush sleeve if you just like the knob.

A stock Porsche shifter knob will also fit the RennShift.

JWest
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 1 2005, 08:01 AM)
I was planning to email you James, but since this topic is here - Can you have a new unit ready for me before I leave for Atlanta on March 21st?

I'll send you an e-mail.
ppickerell
James,
Thanks for the reply. If I was to place my own order today, when could the item ship? This is apparently the last thing left to do on my car and AX season is almost here!
Thanks,
patrick
JWest
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 1 2005, 11:54 AM)
James,
Thanks for the reply. If I was to place my own order today, when could the item ship? This is apparently the last thing left to do on my car and AX season is almost here!
Thanks,
patrick

It does not make any difference. I will not take any money until I have real product to deliver.

You are in good shape to get one as early as possible.

Rich B. called me early on, so he is at the front of the existing interest list to get a shifter for you (I will remind him that you want one when I call him - I'm making the note right now). To be fair, if you asked for a place in line you would be at the end of the list (which is longer than my first batch of shifters right now).
joea9146
James.... My stock shifter hits the New Kirkey Seat I have installed
when it is in First gear. Is your shifter the same shape as the stock shifter.
Since it is Aluminum how easy will it be to tweek the shape of the Shift Shaft ?
Is it removeable ?

Thanks
Rough_Rider
Mild thread hijack, sorry...

How do these various shifters cope with the change in attachment to shiftrod?
& do the shift coupleres really make a difference?
turbo914v8
Cool shifter, I had expressed interest in purchasing this shifter from the web site and had received an e-mail stating that I would be notified when it was available. So does this mean that my name will be on the list of first to get? If not how, do you get on the list.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
JWest
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Mar 1 2005, 12:48 PM)
Cool shifter, I had expressed interest in purchasing this shifter from the web site and had received an e-mail stating that I would be notified when it was available. So does this mean that my name will be on the list of first to get? If not how, do you get on the list.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.

Yes, your name should be on the list. PM or e-mail me your e-mail address and I'll tell you where you fall on the list.
JWest
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Mar 1 2005, 12:37 PM)
Mild thread hijack, sorry...

How do these various shifters cope with the change in attachment to shiftrod?
& do the shift coupleres really make a difference?

No change in attachment to the shift rod, the original linkage is used.

My new version is improved with bronze bushings for the side-shift version, and a bronze bushing/steel swivel bearing for the tail-shift 911 version.

There are not any "bolt-in" universal joint type shift couplers for the 914 - I might work on that after these shifters are well underway.
JWest
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Mar 1 2005, 12:27 PM)
James.... My stock shifter hits the New Kirkey Seat I have installed
when it is in First gear. Is your shifter the same shape as the stock shifter.
Since it is Aluminum how easy will it be to tweek the shape of the Shift Shaft ?
Is it removeable ?

Thanks

It has the same knob position as the stock shifter.

However, the upper stick is now attached with a coupler just below the bend. This means that you can swivel the shifter stick around (like when the epoxy lets go with the stock shifter) and then lock it down where you want it.

This would probably be enough to position it away from the seat, especially when combined with the reduced throw.

The very bottom of the upper stick is a steel adapter, so you could easily cut and weld that if you required additional change.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.