Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differential output shaft seal replacement procedure?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Han Solo
Looks like the hot weather and fast driving has made a slight leak into one that's creating a bit of a puddle. I found a thread on Rennelist for 924/944...

http://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951...-procedure.html

...but is there one here for 914? Same procedure? Any tips? Thanks gents!
TravisNeff
Procedure is the same, you just want to make sure you drive the seal in evenly. I would use a large socket on the seal and tap it into place that way.
Han Solo
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 31 2015, 11:30 AM) *

Procedure is the same, you just want to make sure you drive the seal in evenly. I would use a large socket on the seal and tap it into place that way.

Copy that. I was just looking at the exploded diagram. The seal removes from the cover from the outside, correct? Or does the cover have to come off? Just checking to see if I need to order the cover gasket in addition to the shaft seal.
TravisNeff
Remove the expansion bolt from the trans flange, and pull out the trans flange. Pull out the seal, I used a pair of pliers and that worked fine. Wipe out the race and tap in the new seal until it bottoms out. Replace the trans flange and torque the expansion bolt back down. That's it!
Han Solo
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 31 2015, 11:43 AM) *

Remove the expansion bolt from the trans flange, and pull out the trans flange. Pull out the seal, I used a pair of pliers and that worked fine. Wipe out the race and tap in the new seal until it bottoms out. Replace the trans flange and torque the expansion bolt back down. That's it!

Perfect! Thank you!
BeatNavy
I think that's the thread I used as reference. Getting the seals out can be a little bit of a PITA. Once you unbolt and remove the output shaft you have to remove the seals (not sure what you mean by the cover). I think some people use a seal puller and some have carefully drilled a bolt/screw partially into the old seal to get leverage pulling it out. Take note of how deep the old seal is so you've got a good idea of how far it should go when you tap the new one in. As suggested use some drift or block of wood that will help you tap it in evenly.

I also don't think you have to drain all or even much of the tranny fluid...could be wrong though.
JawjaPorsche
The expansion bolt from the trans flange is a 19 mm. Only torque to about 20 when installing.

I completely drained my tranny fluid to avoid fluid dropping on me and my eyes.

Got a seal puller from my auto parts store. Made the job a snap.

Used some light grease on the seal when installing to make it easier to install.

Use new shorr washers on the install.
Dr Evil
Tq on bolt is 19 ft/lb. Seal does not bottom out on its own. It will stop when it hits the diff bearing itself, but that is too far. You will only need to push it in until flush with the little step that you can feel that starts at the seal bore. As long as you don't warp it putting it in, yer cool. I lube the seal outer to aid in seating. I also slowly take a large dia something (I have a metal slug) and slowly tapp around the perimeter to seat it. Slow is good because if you gobo far you may ruin it pulling it back out. When am doing them the case is empty and I can push through and try again. Always better to instal and remove to try again in same direction.
Han Solo
Thank you gentlemen. I'll be doing the procedure late next week. Waiting on parts smile.gif
TravisNeff
Dr Evil caught me, you aren't supposed to press the seal in until it bottoms out. I get to redo mine now sad.gif
Dr Evil
Ah, the bearing will erode the part touching it wink.gif
john77
I'm just about to do this today. Haynes manual has a write up, exploded diagram and pictures on p87/88 (chapter 5/transmission, section 14) that are actually really helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.