Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: triangulating the front cowl...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
when i started this project , a majority of the rust was in the upper fenders by the a pillar. The cowl itself was perfect, but the area beside that in the fender was gone. In order to eliminate a constant problem and trick out the look abit, i cut out all of the rust from the fender, actually far enough back that i cut the antenna hole out at the same time, and put a plate in all the way to the cowl and welded it right to the edge and welded up the corner where the rubber goes and did some minor filler work to make it smooth. Recently, someone on the rennlist board said they had filled this area w/ braze-or brazed in a plate couldnt really tell- and it kept cracking until they "triangulated" the dash to the strut. Now im getting paranoid about my work coming back to haunt me, and im wondering if i shouldnt try to do this before i have a problem since my paint is going to be a PITA to fix if it does crack or something. Here is a pic of my possible solution, weld a braket to the cowl and the strut towers and make it removable w/ four screws for each one-for tank access etc. I would have to fit it around the tank and such, but do you think this would solve the problem? i was also thinking of beefing up the wall between the tank and the trunk w/ a piece of bar of some sort, like a strut bar. Any experience w/ this problem? sad.gif
xsboost90
braket would be like this...
Jeroen
I doubt this will do you much good, if any...
If you worry about cracks from the windshield frame moving, you could brace it like the factory did on some of the GT cars

Do a search, there was a thread about this not to long ago (I think Mueller started it)
xsboost90
what about doing something likethis w/o running a full cage?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.