Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intake Studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dcecc1968
I'm converting from single carb to dual carbs and since I'm using an acrylic spacer, and my current intake studs (@1.25-inch long) are now too short and I need to get longer studs ~1.5-inch.

Can I get these at the LAPS or is there something special about them?

One of the studs came out easy, any tips on getting the other studs out?

Thanks for your help.

-Don
zambezi
use the double nut method to remove screw in studs. Works most of the time with no damage.
SirAndy
QUOTE(zambezi @ Aug 1 2015, 12:45 PM) *

use the double nut method to remove screw in studs. Works most of the time with no damage.

agree.gif
dcecc1968
Thanks for the tip

Do you think I can get the longer studs at local auto parts store or should I go to a Porsche dealer?
Mueller
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Aug 1 2015, 04:02 PM) *

Thanks for the tip

Do you think I can get the longer studs at local auto parts store or should I go to a Porsche dealer?

NAPA has a good selection. .... we don't know what autoparts stores you have access to smile.gif

The dealer might have longer ones, but unless you have a part number good luck since they will just give you a blank stare if you ask for longer intake studs for a 914.

I'd also use millimeters when asking for the longer studs since the parts are metric.
Amphicar770
If studs are broken (or break), mig weld a hex nut to whatever remains even if you are just filling in the hex nut hole to the flush end of the stud. Usually the heat from this process is enough to easily remove the stud (sometimes even just with your fingers).
dcecc1968
Mueller, Thanks for the help. We do have NAPA here in NC.

Amphicar770 - crossing my fingers that won't be necessary, since I don't weld, but thanks for the tip.
Spoke
I put studs in the case for the taco plate and used regular metric bolts from my local ACE hardware store. I bottomed the bolts in the threads and marked where I wanted to cut them.

Removed the bolts and cut them and reinstalled. The same could be done for the intake studs. Plus ACE is open on Sat & Sun. YMMV smile.gif

To remove the studs you could do the double bolt method or (assuming you won't use them again) use a really strong pair of vice grips.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.