Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thanks Rusty! Got my new muffler!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteveL
The UPS truck just left after dropping off my new-to-me muffler for my 1.8. mueba.gif Rusty described it as excellent condition, and it is at least that, if not better. It still has some of the factory primer on it even, and absolutely no rust - not even surface rust. I want to coat it to keep it that way. I've tried hi-temp bar-b-queue paint before, with less than stellar results. What have others used that works well?

TIA

Steve
scotty914
por 15 manifold paint
Cap'n Krusty
Cold Galvanizing paint, available at welding supply stores. Even the "correct" color. The Cap'n
Rusty
Glad it worked for ya! smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Eric_Shea
por 15 manifold paint

agree.gif

Which is called POR-20. I did both systems with it. New 914 headers got blasted and then repainted with POR-20. Sport muffler as well. 911 heat exchangers and stock muffler got the treatment as well.

Should be good to 1400 deg.

Others here (Jim) said it still looks as good as the day it was applied.
StratPlayer
Go with Por20 or Bill Hirsh high temp paint good for 2K degrees.
http://www.hirschauto.com/acb/showdetl.cfm...ct_ID=11&DID=27
Type 4
Bill Hirsh 1800 Hi temp get the pint can rather than the spray can.
It works really well.
bperry
So are you guys spraying it on or using brushes?

--- bill
StratPlayer
I just refurbished a set of 75-76 exchangers, I used Bill Hirsh high temp paint on the exhangers and plumming, I used the spray can paint that he sells. On my car I painted the muffler with por20 high temp paint and I brushed this paint on the muffler. It shows no brush marks when this paint drys.
Eric_Shea
For mine (POR20) we sprayed... headers heat exchangers, all a big spaghetti mess. For a muffler I'd just brush it on.
Type 4
I use a foam Brush.
SteveL
I picked up some of the POR 20 - the only color they had is "Brilliant Aluminum". Is that the only color it comes in? I did a test piece and it's pretty bright silver. I think it would looke kinda ricey. Are other colors available? What about the POR Manifold paint - the can says it replicated the gray color of factory cast parts.
Triaddave
VHT make a high temp paint in a spray can.(VHT, very high temp 1500 degree) seen in excellence or performance catologs, allow at least two cans. the local auto stores only usually stock the 1200 stuff,junk
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.