Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
injunmort
I think I dropped a valve seat on my '71 1.7 dd. can I swap heads without removing engine?
jcd914
I suppose there is a chance it is possible.

I have seen and engine pulled without pulling the transmission.

But there is no way it is worth it, the engine is just too easy to remove to mess with trying to leave it in.

Simple work on the engine is hard to do with the engine installed, any major work and the engine should be pulled.

Jim
Spoke
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 1 2015, 08:02 PM) *

But there is no way it is worth it, the engine is just too easy to remove to mess with trying to leave it in.

agree.gif

Before your first engine drop it seems like a major undertaking. When you finally drop the engine you'll realize it wasn't that hard. Probably a good time to look at the other head as well.
bdstone914
Pull the engine, do it right and do a valve job on both heads.
Dave_Darling
It may be time to look for some new-to-you heads. The 1.7 ones should be fairly robust, not nearly as prone to seat dropping as the 2.0 heads. I'd be worried that other stuff had happened to cause the problem, and it may have caused more damage to both heads.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
I must agree with the others. Much harder to pull heads with engine in car. Might not even be possible, but definitely more work. I don't believe they will clear the engine shelf.
914Sixer
Do it right. Little pieces of metal went some where in the engine.
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 1 2015, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 1 2015, 08:02 PM) *

agree.gif

Before your first engine drop it seems like a major undertaking. When you finally drop the engine you'll realize it wasn't that hard. Probably a good time to look at the other head as well.

If I can drop an engine, anyone can. It was actually a very good learning experience and let me take care of some stuff that I might not have seen otherwise.
injunmort
thanks everyone, out comes the engine today
injunmort
after further inspection, I still have 125 psi compression in all four cylinders. the rapping noise starts after the car warms up, no noise when starting cold. the throttle cable frayed a month ago and it over revved before I shut it down, I am wondering if I have a sticking valve from over rev that tightens up when the engine warms up. any thoughts would be appreciated. no metal in oil or filter.
Elliot Cannon
Pull the engine. Have the heads done. (Bofovem) And while you're in there......
stugray
First thing to do after an over-rev and suspicion of a dropping seat is to do a valve adjustment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.