Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire Temperature Gurus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdogg
I went to a test and tune yesterday and ran a skid pad that was about 100' in diameter. I ran it counter clockwise (left) about 5 laps, checked the outside(right) tire temps, then reversed the whole deal and checked the outside temps on the left side
Here is what I came up with:

LF RF
97 (o) 90 (m) 80 (inside) 68(inside) 82 (m) 80 (o)

LR RR
80 (o) 80(m) 78 (inside) 88 (inside) 95 (m) 105 (o)

Help me interpret these. Seems the left front and right rear do most of the work, which makes me think I need to corner balance the car. Looks like camber in the front needs to be increased, and it could stand a litle bump in the rear. Inflation seems ok. What do you make of it?
Joe Bob
Equal temps across = Good
Equal on the sides and low in the middle=underinflated
High in the middle=over inflated
high on one side, needs alignment and/or corner balance.
jdogg
Thanks, Mike. I was hoping for a more specific evaluation of them, though, like what exactly is going on with my car. Any suggestions at all? I know those numbers tell a story, and it is more than simple inflations...... can anyone translate?
jdogg
Thanks, Mike. I was hoping for a more specific evaluation of them, though, like what exactly is going on with my car. Any suggestions at all? I know those numbers tell a story, and it is more than simple inflations...... can anyone translate?
Joe Bob
Can't until they are running flat....and the car is balanced....the numbers will change.
TimT
I dont know what kind of tire your running, but those temp tell me your not getting the tires hot enough.

Like Mike mentioned you need the chassis set up correctly first before you start tuning handling via tire pressures etc. Make sure all the bushings are in good condition, wheel bearings are properly set, wheels aligned properly, corner weights set.
jdogg
Tires were Kumho Victoracers. It was a cool 40 degrees, overcast and a lot of moisture in the air, not sure of the temp of the concrete surface we were running on. All bushings are new, shocks, springs, t-bars, sway,bearings,etc. (all 1 year old),
I was hoping those numbers might tell someone in the know where I might need to start improving it, such as how much camber to try to gain, the fact that the LF and RR are so much hotter means ???...... I guess it will just have to be trial and error for now.
Thanks for the input.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.