Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where should peddle disengage clutch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
i was thinking it should start to disengage around 25% peddle pressed down?

or should I shoot for 50% or half way pressed down?

jim
McMark
Where ever it feels comfortable to you. I look at it more as when does it start re-engaging. Some people like it to reengage as soon as they lift their foot, some people like a little room, and put it higher.

P E D A L Sorry, petpeeve.
Tbrown4x4
I'm glad someone asked this! I just finished adjusting mine, and I set it up so it doesn't grind going into reverse. It feels like it engages too close to the floor, but I didn't want to stress out the cable or overwork the T/O bearing.

Work good, it just still feels funny to me.
toolguy
The Porsche clutch doesn't function like a conventional American clutch assemble. . in that the springs on the pedal don't pull the pedal up {They actually pull it down}. . it's the pressure plate that pulls the pedal up, meaning the throwout bearing is always riding "GENTLY" on the PP when the cable is adjusted properly. . .

What you need to make sure of is that with the cable adjusted, there is still some top free-play on the pedal if you pull it upward. . . while allowing the clutch to disengage fully when depresses. .
Generally that mean about a 1/2 to 1 inch free-play at the pedal when pulled up manually.
The rubber pedal stop on the backboard is what is suppose to limit downward movement and prevent excessive cable / clutch movement.
Elliot Cannon
Isn't all this explained in a book somewhere? laugh.gif
jimkelly
after turning the nut quite a bit - I started to think what you are saying made sense. I feel that mine disengages too close to the floor still but maybe this is a good thing.

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Aug 2 2015, 08:25 AM) *

I'm glad someone asked this! I just finished adjusting mine, and I set it up so it doesn't grind going into reverse. It feels like it engages too close to the floor, but I didn't want to stress out the cable or overwork the T/O bearing.

Work good, it just still feels funny to me.

Mark Henry
I know for sure the manual for every aircooled VW is 3/4 inch free play, I always assumed the 914 would be the same.
naro914
I just adjust it until it feels comfortable/right to me. usually, thats on the down side of halfway...i.e. in the middle somewhere between halfway and the floor, probably closer to halfway...ish.... I don't like it to engage/disengage up high.
Ansbacher
Tool Guy - What do you mean by "pull up on the pedal"? Do you mean inward or outward? Since the clutch always springs back outwards (towards the drivers feet) and stops, how can you ever pull it any more than that natural stop? Very confused, because I have heard others state it your way, and just do not understand how it is possible.

Ansbacher
toolguy
just grab the pedal and pull it towards the drivers seat. . that is where it should move 1/2 to 1 inch. . it can move more, but not less. . If it moves more, that means the release and engage point will be closer to the floor board, which may mean the clutch , although depressed, is still dragging on the pressure plate. . this is a cause of 'hard to get into first gear' at a dead stops. . .

Next, realize the clutch arm can only move x amount. . once the pressure plate is fully released, depressing the clutch pedal further only puts excessive stress on the cable which leads to premature clutch component and cable failure. . In essence, you're trying to stretch the cable when it's impossible for it to move the pressure plate further. .
You're leg muscles and the leverage the pedal gives you can snap an otherwise good cable , break the shear pin in the pedal arm and pull in the firewall at the bosen tube . .

That's why you need the floorboard pedal stop adjusted to limit downward pedal motion only to the point of good clutch release. . You can actual feel the natural limit point if you push carefully. . without the stop, the pedal moves and then suddenly get's harder to push, it will move further as you stretch the cable and components. . . much like the brake pedal when the brake line pressure makes the brake pads make full contact with all the rotors. . you can push harder and feel the brake pedal move but the pads are not moving any further. . what you're doing is expanding the brake hoses or compressing any air in the brake lines. .

All this is my 2 cents worth, learned through experience. . which may differ from that of others. .
porschetub
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 3 2015, 02:58 AM) *

i was thinking it should start to disengage around 25% peddle pressed down?

or should I shoot for 50% or half way pressed down?

jim

Great answers,something I didn't know,have just fitted new clutch cable and clevis,new bronze bushes for clutch pedal and new throttle cable.
Did this round of jobs and managed to build a hand throttle in between,was a great day (for the winter) and had a few beers after.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.