Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unswitched Power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Where does the direct power line to the ignition bypass the fusebox? Is it at the fuse box or elsewhere?

I'm getting power at the fuse box for the light switch, hazard, dash gauges, and parking lights..

but no power for horn and beam, turn signal wiper, headlights, and ignition.

Thanks, R
toolguy
Big red wires on unprotected terminal lug just above the fuse box on the left side under dash. . Be careful, this was a major design error and the cause of a lot of electrical problem. . easy to short to ground and cause a giant fireball..
Lower the fuse tray and you'll see it. .
Spoke
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 2 2015, 01:19 PM) *

Big red wires on unprotected terminal lug just above the fuse box on the left side under dash. . Be careful, this was a major design error and the cause of a lot of electrical problem. . easy to short to ground and cause a giant fireball..
Lower the fuse tray and you'll see it. .

Before you touch the fuse box to lower it, disconnect the negative terminal on the battery or your problems could multiply exponentially.
Dave_Darling
The 74+ cars didn't have that big (+) lug under the dash.

Rob, your question doesn't really make sense. You're asking where a direct wire from A to B does not hook up to C.

Are you asking where the wire from the battery is that connects to the horn, headlights, etc.? That's where the wiring diagram comes in handy.

But chances are that it's one of the red wires on the battery (+) terminal. It goes through the center tunnel, and goes to the fuse box.

--DD
rhodyguy
I'm going to find that questionable lug on my 73'. What's the easy fix?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 2 2015, 11:05 AM) *

The 74+ cars didn't have that big (+) lug under the dash.

Rob, your question doesn't really make sense. You're asking where a direct wire from A to B does not hook up to C.

Are you asking where the wire from the battery is that connects to the horn, headlights, etc.? That's where the wiring diagram comes in handy.

But chances are that it's one of the red wires on the battery (+) terminal. It goes through the center tunnel, and goes to the fuse box.

--DD

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm studying all of the wiring diagrams. Its fun.

My easiest to use wiring diagram (Prospero) shows a bypass line to the ignition and light switch prior to meeting the fuse box. Just wondering where that bypass is.

I'm getting power to the light switch, but not the ignition.

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 2 2015, 12:45 PM) *

You won't find this on the 73 cars.
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 2 2015, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 2 2015, 12:45 PM) *

You won't find this on the 73 cars.

...........so what is different about the 1973?
McMark
Where does the direct power line to the ignition bypass the fusebox? Is it at the fuse box or elsewhere?

I think you're misinterpreting the wiring diagram. The big red wire from the battery to the fuse box doesn't make any branches. If you look at the back side of the fuse panel, you'll see that fuses 10-11-12 are all blocked together. The spade connector you hook wires to is all connected. This is where the branching happens, those spade connections that are bridged.

But, this isn't your problem. A different big red wire runs directly from the battery to the ignition switch. So there's only three scenarios I can think of:
1. The big red wire to the ignition switch isn't making a connection at the battery. Check those terminals/crimps at the battery.
2. The connection at the ignition switch is bad, but this would probably only be due to massive corrosion. So it's unlikely.
3. A cut in the wire somewhere in the middle. Only look for this after you've confirmed #1 and #2.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 3 2015, 08:44 AM) *

I think you're misinterpreting the wiring diagram. The big red wire from the battery to the fuse box doesn't make any branches. If you look at the back side of the fuse panel, you'll see that fuses 10-11-12 are all blocked together. The spade connector you hook wires to is all connected. This is where the branching happens, those spade connections that are bridged.

But, this isn't your problem. A different big red wire runs directly from the battery to the ignition switch. So there's only three scenarios I can think of:
1. The big red wire to the ignition switch isn't making a connection at the battery. Check those terminals/crimps at the battery.
2. The connection at the ignition switch is bad, but this would probably only be due to massive corrosion. So it's unlikely.
3. A cut in the wire somewhere in the middle. Only look for this after you've confirmed #1 and #2.

Thanks. This really does help.

I have a JWest panel so should the bridge be there? Or added? It doesn't sound like it matters but the wipers and headlights are dark.

I installed a new ignition switch so it should be OK- the wires looked fine - good actually.

I'll look again at the battery side and see if there's anything interesting there. The connection is the new engine harness and 3 power wires.

Thanks again, Rob
EdwardBlume
I think we're finally getting somewhere. I talked to the PO (good guy) and the ignition is wired through a relay to the fuel pump and oil pressure switch.

This is the missing link. Will take pictures tonight.
Mike Bellis
Let's find it and bypass this until the entire system works as designed. Then we can see if his relay setup it what you want/need.
EdwardBlume
It's in the front trunk next to the heater box, mounted on the support beam.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 5 2015, 04:11 PM) *

It's in the front trunk next to the heater box, mounted on the support beam.

Piece of cake! beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
It's kind of a weird switch. It would appear as if the ignition wire goes into the switch as does the fuel pump lines and that's it. A ground comes out.
EdwardBlume
More
EdwardBlume
More
EdwardBlume
Fuel pump
EdwardBlume
Other side of relay. Wiper switch?
McMark
The white plastic box is the mount for intermittent wiper relay.

I agree with Mike, pull out all the modifications. Nearly every other 914 on the road uses the stock system. As for the fuel pump wires, you can extend the stock wires from the back to the front pretty easily, which is my preferred method.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 6 2015, 08:23 AM) *

I agree with Mike, pull out all the modifications. Nearly every other 914 on the road uses the stock system. As for the fuel pump wires, you can extend the stock wires from the back to the front pretty easily, which is my preferred method.

Thanks.
The black and red wires cruising through the relay is the fuel wires. I think I can just reconnect them.

The head scratcher is that the ignition seems to line in, but not out.... Split somewhere?
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 6 2015, 08:23 AM) *

Sure about that Mark? I have never seen an intermittent relay that looks like that white box. I am not sure what it is. The black relay might be the intermittent wiper relay but its missing the harness.

Otherwise...I agree...loose the mods....all that unknown wiring needs to be sorted out and understood, or even better just removed if its determined to not be essential to the conversion.
Mike Bellis
The white box looks like a impact sensor for an aftermarket alarm system.

Don't sweat it. I will have it sorted out in no time... beer.gif

We'll bypass it and determine if it's worth keeping. Just make sure there is oil in the motor because I think we can have it running in an hour or two.
EdwardBlume
The PO says the white box is a wiper washer relay or pump.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 6 2015, 06:38 PM) *

The PO says the white box is a wiper washer relay or pump.

OK, get some rest. I got this...
kconway
Rob,
See post #5 in this thread for the schematic/details on that black relay and fuel pump wiring...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1535731
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.