Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: False Alarm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I drove to the bank this AM to make a deposit and test my radiator "fans on" light that I had just wired in. Most of you Suby converts know that it takes awhile for the engine to get hot enough to ask for cooling, so it was no surprise that they didn't kick on until I was leaving the drive thru. A minute or so after the green light came on, while waiting for the light to change, I smelled a wire burning. WTF.gif The light changed and I was in a parking lot with the hood up within 30 seconds. A quick look around the area I recently worked revealed nothing. Engine bay, rear trunk; nothing, as well. Power back on and fans running fine, I hopped in and finished my errand w/o exception. Go figure confused24.gif ? I'd like to believe that someone else in that intersection was having a problem but that is being overly optimistic. TMK, all circuits are fused but I know I smelled a burning wire. Am I being paranoid?
Come to think of it I'll bet a Bic Lighter and a piece of wire could cause a bit of concern at a Classic's Car Show. happy11.gif
JRust
WTF.gif I get paranoid at anything that smells like burning. Take it seriously & check it out more. Your nose is your friend. IF something was melting you'll smell it if you get close to it. Even the next day.
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 2 2015, 01:17 PM) *

WTF.gif I get paranoid at anything that smells like burning. Take it seriously & check it out more. Your now dis your friend. IF something was melting you'll smell it if you get close to it. Even the next day.

I know that's true. I had previously written down "faster that you can say Jamie Rust" but edited it out as I thought it might be too soon to start cracking fire jokes. But since your here. hide.gif Just came back in after checking a few more spots. I'll check my lights tonight. confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
A long time ago, I used to drive from Long Beach to LAX and back everyday. There was some kind of a manufacturing plant about five miles from my house that would at least once a month emit an odor exactly like an electrical fire. I was so worried that I had a fire on my 1965, 6volt, 300,000 mile VW bug that I almost stopped to check it out once. av-943.gif
stownsen914
If you've just done the wiring on your fan light, maybe check the new wiring and anything it connects to. If you've had anything going on there hot enough to smell, you'll see telltale signs of overheating in the wiring like melted or discolored wires or connectors, etc.
76-914
agree.gif see post 1, lines 4/5. biggrin.gif
914-300Hemi
Good luck on your hunt for maybe toasted wires.
Tom
Kent,
Probably didn't happen to your wiring that you installed. If you smelled it and then about 30 seconds later turned things off and checked for damage, you should have found some sign of damage. 30 seconds or so is a very long time for a wire to be overheating to the point of emitting smells. Could have been something burning off of the fan motors. If it bothers you and you have access to one of those fancy IR temp readers, after the car gets hot enough to have the fans running, check the motors, wires, relays, etc.
Tom
76-914
I do and I will check those as well. BTW, those IR therms are down to $29 today. I thought of another area to check. Just last week I stuffed a bunch of extraneous stereo wires up under the unit itself. I'll check the hot lead to the antennae for burns. idea.gif In retrospect, I should have looked for nearby cars that might have Lucas wiring. happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.