Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Intermittent Wipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
My only project for today was to install the intermittent wiper harness and relay. Yesterday I had reworked the wiper rack and checked the motor out on the bench. I had a intermittent wiper harness still attached to a complete 74 harness, so no problem. Being an old telephone man, I drew a diagram of how the wires were attached to the harness for the wiper. I noticed one of the wires (brown/black)had been cut off coming out of the harness plug. I knew it was important because one of the relay spades plugged into it. I dug around in the old harness but I did not find the other end. HUMMM?

So I took the harness over to my 75 and wired up the connections from the diagram. I looked at the harness and found the brown/black wire tied back and the spade covered. Clean off the cover and plugged it into the harness. Time for a test.
Turned the wipers on and everything worked fine, or so I though. Turned the switch off and the intermittent kept on working with the ignition switch off. headbang.gif

Backed up and checked all the wiring and everything was ok according to the diagram. HUMMM? Since I had changed out the steering column last week, I looked under at the connections there too. Everything looked good too, then the light came on, did I put the 5 pin wiper switch in the column? NO!! hissyfit.gif Started all over on the column and redid it with the correct 5 pin switch. Plugged everything up and checked, finally, or so I thought.

The wiper motor would stop when you turned off the switch, then move a 1/4 round down by itself. Pulled out the 2nd wiper motor and bench tested it. Stuck it in the rack and found it had no high speed. Finally, the 3rd wiper motor worked correctly. Got ready to install the assembly and the rubber mount broke off!
Oh Well. It seemed like a good place to stop for the day.
porschetub
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 3 2015, 10:26 AM) *

My only project for today was to install the intermittent wiper harness and relay. Yesterday I had reworked the wiper rack and checked the motor out on the bench. I had a intermittent wiper harness still attached to a complete 74 harness, so no problem. Being an old telephone man, I drew a diagram of how the wires were attached to the harness for the wiper. I noticed one of the wires (brown/black)had been cut off coming out of the harness plug. I knew it was important because one of the relay spades plugged into it. I dug around in the old harness but I did not find the other end. HUMMM?

So I took the harness over to my 75 and wired up the connections from the diagram. I looked at the harness and found the brown/black wire tied back and the spade covered. Clean off the cover and plugged it into the harness. Time for a test.
Turned the wipers on and everything worked fine, or so I though. Turned the switch off and the intermittent kept on working with the ignition switch off. headbang.gif

Backed up and checked all the wiring and everything was ok according to the diagram. HUMMM? Since I had changed out the steering column last week, I looked under at the connections there too. Everything looked good too, then the light came on, did I put the 5 pin wiper switch in the column? NO!! hissyfit.gif Started all over on the column and redid it with the correct 5 pin switch. Plugged everything up and checked, finally, or so I thought.

The wiper motor would stop when you turned off the switch, then move a 1/4 round down by itself. Pulled out the 2 wiper motor and bench tested it. Stuck it in the rack and found it had no high speed. Finally, the 3rd wiper motor worked correctly. Got ready to install the assembly and the rubber mount broke off!

Funny just doing the same today,found the brown/black wire taped back in the loom near the lh heater valve as you mentioned,where did you find the rest or did you add it ?mines a 74 so if it could already be there tell me more piratenanner.gif ,thanks
914Sixer
I had the plug harness from another car. You can get the harness from Jeff Bowlesby for $60. Then all you need is the relay. Shop around for the relay, they are on ebay for under $10.
Mark Henry
Is there a wire schematic (link?) and what is the relay part number?
steuspeed
Get a VW MK2 programmable relay #99. It allows you to adjust the intermittent timing using the stalk control. All the VW guys get these. It's a plug and play upgrade for the intermittent wiper relay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Audi-Programabl...eac&vxp=mtr
914Sixer
Thanks for the relay tip. Going to get one for the 75.
worn
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 3 2015, 03:20 PM) *

Get a VW MK2 programmable relay #99. It allows you to adjust the intermittent timing using the stalk control. All the VW guys get these. It's a plug and play upgrade for the intermittent wiper relay.

But be sure to note that you must add a relay relay to invert the signal. Stock Audi vw would be a sensible high, I.e. 12 v signal. Stock 914 is moving from ground to disconnect to activate the intermittent relay. So you need to add a relay that is controlled by the stalk to turn on the 99 relay. I got mine cooking, but it took a bit of head scratching. Hard to find the true 914 intermittent relay. At least it was for me. And then I went with the 99.
porschetub
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 3 2015, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 3 2015, 10:26 AM) *

The wiper motor would stop when you turned off the switch, then move a 1/4 round down by itself. Pulled out the 2 wiper motor and bench tested it. Stuck it in the rack and found it had no high speed. Finally, the 3rd wiper motor worked correctly. Got ready to install the assembly and the rubber mount broke off!

Funny just doing the same today,found the brown/black wire taped back in the loom near the lh heater valve as you mentioned,where did you find the rest or did you add it ?mines a 74 so if it could already be there tell me more piratenanner.gif ,thanks

thanks thought that might be the case,got a relay today to power the pump from the brown/red wire so all is good.
jim_hoyland

Anyone actually tried this using the 914 harness/wiring ?
914Sixer
Well I ordered a relay to test with. Should be here by the weekend to try. Stock 914 intermittent relays are 111.955.531. 477.955.531, 191.955.531, 928.955.531 and 321.955.531 are supposed to be interchangeable for the stock 914.

Worn,
Which 1HM 955 531 did you use? There shows to be 531, 531A and 531C. I am sure that they are a slight variation of each other.
worn
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 3 2015, 05:52 PM) *

Yes. It works. But the relays are sometimes sold in a manner that can be misleading and as I said, they are NOT plug and play. But I have gotten it to work just as described. They will not directly substitute for the six second fixed interval stock 914 relay. I got this to work, and it required an inverted relay, but the car is not likely to see rain till next year. It has been written up. Another alternative is the potentiometer driven variable delay out of a 911 or out of a 928. To me, these make the most sense, but of course are not as elegant. Why people didn't just fix it up with a 555 timer is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, I just got to the limit of my electronic knowledge with that last bit. Others more knowledgable can take over I would think.

I can post if need be a diagram of how it is to be wired, but I think it has been done at least in principle. I could add perhaps a diagram of how this wire goes there if it would be of value.
worn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 2 2015, 03:26 PM) *

The wiper motor would stop when you turned off the switch, then move a 1/4 round down by itself. Pulled out the 2nd wiper motor and bench tested it. Stuck it in the rack and found it had no high speed. Finally, the 3rd wiper motor worked correctly. Got ready to install the assembly and the rubber mount broke off!

But great to find the wire all ready for you! And it sounds like one of the motors will work! You can substitute rubber hose for the rubber piece and I actually saw it offered for sale recently from one of the resto companies. Stoddard perhaps?
914Sixer
Further relay research. 1HM 955 531 and 531C are NOT Programmable, ONLY the 531A can be programed. They might work in the stock 914 application.
JeffBowlsby
More relays ID'd in here:

steuspeed
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 3 2015, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 3 2015, 05:52 PM) *

... I could add perhaps a diagram of how this wire goes there if it would be of value.

Please add your diagram. I have the 99 in my Scirocco and bought a second for the 914. It's not installed yet.
Valy
Th VW 99 relay it's not a plug and play but just a minor mod.
Here is how I did it.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1528729

porschetub
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 4 2015, 10:20 AM) *

Not sure, I think it is only this way in the car it was designed for,the 914 has no wiper lever to control this fuction as the Golf has...might be wrong but a stand-alone variable switch would do the job?
914Sixer
Here is the wiper switch that you need if you want intermittent wipers AND electric washer pump. Switch has 5 pins AND a extra wire to power the pump
Valy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 4 2015, 08:01 PM) *

Here is the wiper switch that you need if you want intermittent wipers AND electric washer pump. Switch has 5 pins AND a extra wire to power the pump

Yep that's the one you want. Take out all the old piping under the steering column and be happy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.