Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle set-up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Getting closer to fitting the "6" and would like to know the differance in length of the stock 4 cyl throttle cable and the one for the 6 cyl,research indicates there is a differance in length.
Also has anyone got or can link me to a drawing of the throttle cable retainer and bellcrank pivot ,my g/box is a 4 cyl one and I don't have the luxury of an intermediate pivot,thanks in advance.
shoguneagle
Welcome to the 914world board. I think you will enjoy it.

I do not have the length of the 914-4 nor the 914-6 cables which I can get for you. The thing that has to be considered and may affect the length of the throttle cable is whether you are using injection or carbs along with the type of engine.

I have used complete kit supplied by "a914guy". I think pictures may be available under the Venders Section of this board. With this kit, I am using a cable, bell crank, and hardware which should be in the site thread. He has other items and has provided a lot of information to the rest of us. At least it may give you an idea of what an injected kit assembly (3.2 engine). Other change areas where changes may have to be made are on the engine which in my case had the top bell crank reversed.

If you really need pictures of my setup, I can photo and send them to you.

Let me see if I can get the length of the cables you requested.

Steve Hurt
shoguneagle
Additional Information: Rich Johnson (a914guy) has been doing these conversions for sometime and provides information/disscussion willingly. The thread that has the picture of the bell crank is located under Vendors section (Six Conversion Parts and 914/6 Suspensions Upgrades, . . .

He has built his own Sixer and the parts come from his work on it. He really helped me in my build several years ago.

Rich's contact information is: Rich Johnson, "a914guy@aol.com".

Let me know if you want me to take some pictures of my setup (bell crank, cable, linkage, mounting, etc.).

Run some searches and see what you come up with.
porschetub
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Aug 4 2015, 06:18 AM) *

Welcome to the 914world board. I think you will enjoy it.

I do not have the length of the 914-4 nor the 914-6 cables which I can get for you. The thing that has to be considered and may affect the length of the throttle cable is whether you are using injection or carbs along with the type of engine.

I have used complete kit supplied by "a914guy". I think pictures may be available under the Venders Section of this board. With this kit, I am using a cable, bell crank, and hardware which should be in the site thread. He has other items and has provided a lot of information to the rest of us. At least it may give you an idea of what an injected kit assembly (3.2 engine). Other change areas where changes may have to be made are on the engine which in my case had the top bell crank reversed.

If you really need pictures of my setup, I can photo and send them to you.

Let me see if I can get the length of the cables you requested.

Steve Hurt

Thanks Steve,I have Rich's email ,I purchased the bellcrank and pivot from Brad @ 914ltd sometime ago and have a throttle rod,its just the bracket I need really.
I guess Rich may help.....oh and thanks for the offer of the pics but I have plenty of them @ this stage,cheers.
patssle
A /4 cable can go directly to a 6 without needing the pivot. If that's of any interest.

My setup: http://i.imgur.com/29SmBHo.jpg
Jeffs9146
I am not sure about a drawing but here is a photo! And the PET diagram.
worn
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 3 2015, 12:39 AM) *

Getting closer to fitting the "6" and would like to know the differance in length of the stock 4 cyl throttle cable and the one for the 6 cyl,research indicates there is a differance in length.
Also has anyone got or can link me to a drawing of the throttle cable retainer and bellcrank pivot ,my g/box is a 4 cyl one and I don't have the luxury of an intermediate pivot,thanks in advance.

I only have the cable for the 4 cylinder, but I am building a conversion using an authentic bell crank on an early intermediate plate. I found of course that the stock 4 cylinder cable I am used to has a metal rod at the end that is clamped by a barrel nut in the efi throttle body. On the other hand the bell crank expects a 4 mm threaded rod at the end. That screws into the snap ball joint half that swivels on the bell crank.

No worry. For less than a dollar I put a 3 mm time cert into the socket and tapped the rod on the end of the cable to match. The outer threads of the time cert match the ball socket.

Now, time will tell if the cable is long enough, but I kinda think it is.

Short answer - no they don't match. But they might...
worn
QUOTE(patssle @ Aug 3 2015, 04:17 PM) *

A /4 cable can go directly to a 6 without needing the pivot. If that's of any interest.

My setup: http://i.imgur.com/29SmBHo.jpg

I know, and it is a nice one.
Dave_Darling
IIRC, Rich's bellcrank requires you to use the stock -6 cable. I think the -6 cable is shorter than the -4 one, BTW. Pelican used to sell a bellcrank setup that bolted on (no drilling and tapping the intermediate plate like the stock -6 setup) and used a -4 cable. Not sure if they still do; Bruce Stone or Glenn Sager would probably know.

--DD
Larmo63
This is Rich's kit:

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 4 2015, 03:14 PM) *

IIRC, Rich's bellcrank requires you to use the stock -6 cable. I think the -6 cable is shorter than the -4 one, BTW. Pelican used to sell a bellcrank setup that bolted on (no drilling and tapping the intermediate plate like the stock -6 setup) and used a -4 cable. Not sure if they still do; Bruce Stone or Glenn Sager would probably know.

--DD

Thanks Dave have a order pending so may ask,only need the bracket...maybe thats an issue?.
porschetub
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 4 2015, 11:37 AM) *

I am not sure about a drawing but here is a photo! And the PET diagram.

thanks,looks like that taps a hole into the gearbox at the rear of the bracket .. correct?
Luke M

I believe that I have both a 4 & 6 cable in my parts bin.
I can dig them out later today and measure the difference between them.
RJ makes great 6 conv. parts but I liked his earlier version of the bellcrank setup vs the new one. I didn't care for drilling the trans case to mount the bracket so I made my own that mounts to the rear cover. If I wanted to swap out trans for a track event vs street use its a 2 min job. Yeah the new bracket could be swapped over in the same amount of time but again didn't like to drill into the case to ad the stud.
Here's a few pics of what I made up. The rest of the parts used are factory 914-6.
I added a pic of an early RJ mount as well.

** I found my 4 & 6 cables. The 4 cable is longer by 1 3/4 '' vs the 6.
The 4 outer cover is 1 1/2 '' longer vs the 6. The 4 cable is the same thread pitch as the 6 at the pedal but no threads on the 4 cable at the other end. The 6 cable is threaded at the end for the ball cup to attach to the bellcrank. Hope this helps.**
porschetub
QUOTE(Luke M @ Aug 5 2015, 01:38 AM) *

I believe that I have both a 4 & 6 cable in my parts bin.
I can dig them out later today and measure the difference between them.
RJ makes great 6 conv. parts but I liked his earlier version of the bellcrank setup vs the new one. I didn't care for drilling the trans case to mount the bracket so I made my own that mounts to the rear cover. If I wanted to swap out trans for a track event vs street use its a 2 min job. Yeah the new bracket could be swapped over in the same amount of time but again didn't like to drill into the case to ad the stud.
Here's a few pics of what I made up. The rest of the parts used are factory 914-6.
I added a pic of an early RJ mount as well.

** I found my 4 & 6 cables. The 4 cable is longer by 1 3/4 '' vs the 6.
The 4 outer cover is 1 1/2 '' longer vs the 6. The 4 cable is the same thread pitch as the 6 at the pedal but no threads on the 4 cable at the other end. The 6 cable is threaded at the end for the ball cup to attach to the bellcrank. Hope this helps.**

Luke thats truly great info, can't thank you enough,thats certainly the way to go,not hard to replicate and NO holes to drill, beerchug.gif .
I plan to drill the ball cup and lock it to the cable end with a set screw,I can notch the cable end to further locate it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.