Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas lines to gas tank - how to?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carrera303
I'm restoring a 75 914. The car came with the gas tank disconnected from the two gas lines. I need help understanding how to reconnect the lines to the tank.

1. The fuel pump is connected to the fuel filter. Which one is downstream from the fuel tank first - the fuel pump or the fuel filter? In other words, is the line from the fuel pump connected to the fuel tank or is the line from the fuel filter connected to the fuel tank?

2. The return line is a clear plastic line 3/16" od. The steel pipe for the return line to the fuel tank is 5/16" od. How are these connected? Is there a special kind of connecting line or fitting I need?

Thanks for your help!
JawjaPorsche
Fuel filter is connected to tank.

Don't understand your last question. Do you need to downside the line?

Tangerine Racing sells a reducer.

http://tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

Call and talk to Chris, he will tell you exactly what you need.
SLITS
On '75 -'76 cars, supply and return are the same size. Black plastic lines ... not clear plastic.

carrera303
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 3 2015, 02:24 PM) *

Fuel filter is connected to tank.

Don't understand your last question. Do you need to downside the line?

Tangerine Racing sells a reducer.

http://tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

Call and talk to Chris, he will tell you exactly what you need.

Thanks for the response. Since I didn't disconnect the tank myself, I don't know how it was connected. I'm just trying to find out how the return line is normally connected to the gas tank on most 75's. My return line is a clear plastic line with a 3/16" od and the steel return line adapter/connection on the underside of my gas tank has 5/16" od.

So, I'm really just wondering how the return line is normally connected to the gas tank. Perhaps my lines aren't standard and were replaced by a previous owner.
carrera303
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 3 2015, 02:39 PM) *

On '75 -'76 cars, supply and return are the same size. Black plastic lines ... not clear plastic.

Thanks for the response. Based on your answer I have to assume that a previous owner replaced the standard return line for some reason. Thanks again.
ChrisFoley
The "clear 3/16" return line" is probably the emission line which goes to a charcoal canister in the engine comp.
As mentioned above, the tunnel fuel lines are both 8mm (5/16") black plastic.
Toward the front of the tunnel the plastic is swaged onto galvanized steel tubes which come out beneath the tank.
JawjaPorsche
You also didn't say if FI or carbs.

Some carb configurations didn't have a return line.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.