Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: diffrant engine sounds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
flmont
What gives a engine its particular sound,meaning a..type 4 sound compared to lets say a MGB,...or a flat six to a inline 6,as in a triumph TR6...a Ferrari V8,.sound so much diffrant than a American V8,..is it Alum.vs Iron,..overhead cam belt driven vs chain driven,I know exhaust and cams.will make a diffrance to a point,..Carbs vs fuel injected,...valve size's,..??? Just curious on how that engine noise / music is created,..Thanks Frank
brant
V8. Google flat plain crank for Ferrari vs ford.

It's a lot to do with rpm. And component weight/displacement/design characteristics/ design balance - vibration.

High rpm small displacement is higher pitched
I'm fond of small bore flat -6'a above 7500 with open exhaust
flmont
Yes, indeed that is a sweet sound,..sure miss my 911,..But I love the 914 aswell
brant
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 3 2015, 11:00 PM) *

Yes, indeed that is a sweet sound,..sure miss my 911,..But I love the 914 aswell

That sound is even better in a 914!

Especially in an 81mm, with titanium retainers, twin plug, and 906 cams
stownsen914
Number of cylinders and firing order, and obviously exhaust, are the biggest factors in what an engine sounds like. Certainly this is why a 4 sounds different than a 6, 8, 10, 12, etc. Some 8 cylinder engines sound different than other 8's due largely to firing order ( I assume this is one reason a Ferrari 8 sounds so different from an American V8). Other factors like size, camshaft aggressiveness, type of intake, different exhaust configurations, etc. all factor in as well.

I used to wonder why Harleys sound so unique, until someone explained to me years ago how their engines are configured. It's a V twin of course, but the two connecting rods are on the same crankshaft jounal, which makes for an odd fire 2 cylinder and a unique exhaust note.

Scott
brant
here is a helpful video about flat plane cranks, versus an typical American standard V8...

its helpful and explains the differences that result in the sound:

flat plane cranks
flmont
Thanks a lot guys,..and Brant,..for the link,..I kinda figured it was along those lines very interesting,.My curiousity,..is due to I will be doing a V8 install in the next year,..but I didn't really want the American sound if I could help it,...going LS-1 ,..I know some vets are pretty quiet,..I want some noise ,.just not the lumpy cam type of noise,...from the older style RV cams..I plan a all stk build,..with maybe a different intake,..it is a long way away yet,..so who knows,..Thanks Frank
mgp4591
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Aug 4 2015, 08:36 AM) *

Number of cylinders and firing order, and obviously exhaust, are the biggest factors in what an engine sounds like. Certainly this is why a 4 sounds different than a 6, 8, 10, 12, etc. Some 8 cylinder engines sound different than other 8's due largely to firing order ( I assume this is one reason a Ferrari 8 sounds so different from an American V8). Other factors like size, camshaft aggressiveness, type of intake, different exhaust configurations, etc. all factor in as well.

I used to wonder why Harleys sound so unique, until someone explained to me years ago how their engines are configured. It's a V twin of course, but the two connecting rods are on the same crankshaft jounal, which makes for an odd fire 2 cylinder and a unique exhaust note.

Scott

The best analogy of Harley exhaust I've ever heard (besides my Harley) is
potatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotato.... That's at idle, but with the right cams, intake and exhaust the sound wide open is hair raising! aktion035.gif
ThePaintedMan
That's funny you mentioned that Harley sound. So on my car, the exhaust is two late-style heat exchangers, turned around with two glasspacks welded to them. Basically, if you look at it, it's two Harleys running side-by side, and even sounds like that at idle. It's a dual exhaust, essentially making it two separate engines (with the dual carbs) running side by side. As Racer Chris pray.gif will tell you, it's not the ideal setup for the firing order of these engines. But it's simple, and all I could afford when I was trying to get the car ready for the race. However, when it's run at high RPM, it doesn't sound anything like that... more like a pissed off hive of hornets... which is funny, because despite how loud it is, it's slow as a dog as witnessed below! smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= KlTXGqoECuM
stownsen914
I heard a 914 with an exhaust like that years ago (they were straight pipes in that case). Definitely a strange exhaust note ...
falcor75
http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/how-to-make-...onda-1611782156

makes me want an old merc.... blink.gif
mgp4591
Okay, now for some math... 7.0 V-12. 3.3 flat 6- not exactly half, a little smaller piston so approx. the same explosion for a little higher pitch. Not as busy as a V12 but it's a flat plane crank engine which sound GREAT at higher rpms. I've got an idea- so with the right piping I should get a pretty racy sound out of the SVX engine in the 914. idea.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 10 2015, 06:34 PM) *

Okay, now for some math... 7.0 V-12. 3.3 flat 6- not exactly half, a little smaller piston so approx. the same explosion for a little higher pitch. Not as busy as a V12 but it's a flat plane crank engine which sound GREAT at higher rpms. I've got an idea- so with the right piping I should get a pretty racy sound out of the SVX engine in the 914. idea.gif

agree.gif Dude, just unbolting the muffler from the SVX and revving it in the driveway gives me chills. I can't WAIT!
mgp4591
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 10 2015, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 10 2015, 06:34 PM) *

agree.gif Dude, just unbolting the muffler from the SVX and revving it in the driveway gives me chills. I can't WAIT!

Check out the howl on this 3.3 all tuned up in this Impreza, then imagine it in your car!
https://youtu.be/wqnuj58lFQI
brant
What kind of output is that EFI logics car?
mgp4591
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 10 2015, 10:23 PM) *

What kind of output is that EFI logics car?

It's a 3.3 putting out about 600 hp, N/A. Pretty impressive, eh? I like how he lets it breathe slightly before winding it out in 5th- that's gotta translate into 160 maybe...?
It's winding higher than stock but not by a whole lot, I'm guessing less than 2 grand if that because the stock redline is already pretty high.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.