Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Lucky9146
Bought This car in Nov 2013 and unfortunately it had to sit in my trailer until May of this year to get started on it. The picture is how the car looked the way I got it and how it came out of the trailer. Factory P/N steel flares, nice paint job, a not installed 3.0 close to ready to install, Oh, and an in process conversion. Just some cleaning and put it together and yes a lot of learning/ research. Because (a) I have never owned a 914. (b) never done an engine conversion (built a few). © never picked up where someone left off (you know how its easier to put something back together when you take it apart).

I got the "bug" from a friend who took me up the Ortega Hwy in his 6 conversion and I was hooked.

I decided to share my experiences with the "world" and hopefully along the way gain some insight. I have met some great 914 folks so far at swap meets and parts houses and everyone has been quite helpful. I will tell more of the story of what came with the car and what I have done so far as the days go by. Check in once in a while.
mgp4591
Welcome to the money pit! Lots of good advice and great people here with almost all the info you'd need to succeed with you project but it looks like you've got it handled. Great looking car! Keep us up on your project and hope to see you at a function sometime! welcome.png
jmitro
looks great so far; look forward to see more of this car!
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif the "great" white ....... I'm sorting out the "great" pink:

Lucky9146
Welcome to the money pit! Lots of good advice and great people here with almost all the info you'd need to succeed with you project but it looks like you've got it handled. Great looking car! Keep us up on your project and hope to see you at a function sometime!

Thanks, I forgot to mention there are the evil "electrical issues" and I am mechanical so you see the problem there.
whitetwinturbo
............ I started a build thread "There goes the neighborhood" last month sawzall-smiley.gif
Lucky9146
So as I have found so typical is the jack stand stage. This is the current state. Note the previous picture there were 993 seats and a red roll bar from the PO. Going to be looking for some racing seats and probably will not use the roll bar.
Lucky9146
the "great" white ....... I'm sorting out the "great" pink:

Thanks I will check it out. Good luck on your project!
Maltese Falcon
Good purchase of MoparRob's white 6/conversion project...it has the right stuff !
I met Rob at a Peterson cruise-in, he told me that my hot rod 6/conversion was an inspiration to build his white car. Better check that light ivory car, it might be an LE 914 biggrin.gif
Marty
Lucky9146
So where does one begin when you have never owned a 914 and the conversion in progress is a car that has not been on the road in 17 years. Yes that's right 17 years. With the car in the trailer I started research on which tires to get. Since the Car has Fuchs 16" 7's and 8's I chose Bridgestone 205/55/16 fronts and 225/50/16 rears. I had heard they may be discontinued so I got them and put them away. When I got access to the car the wheels came off and I debated reannodize and they just looked tired but they cleaned up! 17 years of oxodation on the paint came back to life with a lot of elbo grease. Check out the rims before and after.
Cairo94507
Terrific - Keep up the good work so you can get that bad boy on the road soon. beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Everybody was wondering where that one went. Looking forward to seeing you on the road with it..... driving.gif
Lucky9146
[quote name='Maltese Falcon' date='Aug 3 2015, 10:50 PM' post='2218484']
Good purchase of MoparRob's white 6/conversion project...it has the right stuff !
I met Rob at a Peterson cruise-in, he told me that my hot rod 6/conversion was an inspiration to build his white car. Better check that light ivory car, it might be an LE 914

Love to see your car since it was the inspiration. Yes it was Robs and has lots of the right stuff!

So I started to get to know the car and with all of its years of sitting. But apparently it had been on the road for a time after the fenders and complete paint job (wish there were pictures!) back in 1995. So I started in on the wheel wells which actually cleaned up pretty well. Here is the Rt Front.
eric9144
Hey I'm right up the hill from you, hit me up if you need a hand or just want to admire the raw power of my /4 av-943.gif

Congratulations on the purchase, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on that car when it was up for sale but just couldn't part with my current 914 after so many years
Lucky9146
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 4 2015, 06:23 AM) *

Everybody was wondering where that one went. Looking forward to seeing you on the road with it..... driving.gif

Yes a lot of people have recognized the car and I am going to try to do it right take my time and although it will never be concours it will be a nice car. Thanks
Lucky9146
[quote name='Maltese Falcon' date='Aug 3 2015, 10:50 PM' post='2218484']
I met Rob at a Peterson cruise-in, he told me that my hot rod 6/conversion was an inspiration to build his white car. Better check that light ivory car, it might be an LE 914 biggrin.gif

So now I learned from Maltese Falcon that since my car is a 74 and white it could possibly be a limited edition so I will have to check that out! Thanks Marty! Like to see your "hot rod 6/ conversion and meet you some time. Thanks!
Lucky9146
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 4 2015, 08:49 AM) *

Hey I'm right up the hill from you, hit me up if you need a hand or just want to admire the raw power of my /4 av-943.gif

Congratulations on the purchase, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on that car when it was up for sale but just couldn't part with my current 914 after so many years

Like to see your car and I appreciate the offer. Being so close is great! I will PM you.
Funny you were looking at this car too! Thanks!!
mepstein
It belonged to a guy named Rolland who had it running with a big 4. I almost bought that car.
Lucky9146
On with cleaning and lerrning here is the left rear fender before and after pics of tedious nooks and crannies. The paint job was thorough and welll done with good prep. When this car was done in 1995 it had to be stunning! Because the paint for the most part is still really great! Even the wheel wells which I found impressive.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 4 2015, 09:27 AM) *

It belonged to a guy named Rolland who had it running with a big 4. I almost bought that car.

Have yet to talk with him he is not on world that I know of. I do know about him from the PO. So, you let it get away too! Thanks. Do you have any pictures of it from then? Thanks for looking!
mepstein
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 4 2015, 12:54 PM) *

Have yet to talk with him he is not on world that I know of. I do know about him from the PO. So, you let it get away too! Thanks. Do you have any pictures of it from then? Thanks for looking!

I have a pdf of the build/for sale ad somewhere. He was asking around 18k for the roller. I don't know the actual sale price. I remember it was very nice but distance from me made the sale more difficult. It sat in his garage for a couple years before the sale so it's been quite some time now. Glad to see its getting built. I don't think Rolland has been on world for years
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 4 2015, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 4 2015, 12:54 PM) *

I have a pdf of the build/for sale ad somewhere. He was asking around 18k for the roller. I don't know the actual sale price. I remember it was very nice but distance from me made the sale more difficult. It sat in his garage for a couple years before the sale so it's been quite some time now. Glad to see its getting built. I don't think Rolland has been on world for years

That would be amazing if you could come up with any info from back then. Appreciate it that when you get a chance you could find it. History is always good. Thanks for the response!
rhodyguy
here is a shot of the cushions/wire protectors i pm'ed you about.
Maltese Falcon
Lucky9146,
Here is one angle of my '74.
Photo credit; Marco Gerace "Excellence" mag.
Is that white car running yet ? biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 4 2015, 12:16 PM) *

Lucky9146,
Here is one angle of my '74.
Photo credit; Marco Gerace "Excellence" mag.
Is that white car running yet ? biggrin.gif Click to view attachment

Nice car! Sinister looking. No not quite yet! Thanks for the pic take care
lonewolfe
I'm going to enjoy following this thread! What an awesome car to begin your project with! Your starting point is light years ahead of mine!
pete000
I don't know what it is, but I think there is a certain beauty in seeing the 914 up on stands without wheels, just seems like a natural state...Ha ha !

Here is mine right now...
KELTY360
Unlike a lot of guys here, I wasn't in line to buy the car, but I certainly understand the inspiration. I had a new '73 1.7 and the Ortega Hwy was one of the roads I'd go work out on. Lived in Fullerton so it was nice to make a big loop over the top and into Lk. Elsinore. But, most of the time, once I got down there I'd make at least a couple of runs over the top and back. That road is a blast in either direction; or at least it was back in the day. I think it was made for 914s.

Congratulations on the car, now, get that thing off jack stands before it gets used to it. poke.gif
Cairo94507
Hi Pete - I generally do not like the Porsche graphic down the side of the car, but on your car it looks perfect. Love the car.
Lucky9146
This car came with some really nice parts! Some it already had. Some purchased by the PO for the conversion. The PO did his homeowrk and it is going to take some time but I will show you a lot of what came with the car.

First pictured is the engine which is a 1979 3.0 with 39mm port heads, chain tensioners, turbo valve covers with fins trimmed to clear trailing arms then powder coated. A Jerry Woods complete distributor rebuild/ re-curve, MSD Blaster high vibration coil, Magnecor Spark Plug wires, new plugs. Valve clearances set. Dual Weber 40 IDA 3C carbs/manifolds/linkage, completely rebuilt and bench tested by Paul at Performance Oriented. Intake manifolds are glass beaded, port matched to the heads, new gaskets and phenolic spacers. New K&N Filters and powder coated rain hats. Note the cad plating and front mount installed. Yes this is how I got the engine!!!!!

Next is the PO installed Rich Johnson engine conversion mount pictured and it is both bolted and welded.
Lucky9146
[quote name='pete000' date='Aug 4 2015, 03:00 PM' post='2218769']
I don't know what it is, but I think there is a certain beauty in seeing the 914 up on stands without wheels, just seems like a natural state...Ha ha !

Here is mine right now...

Nice! I like the paint! and the stripe! Thanks for looking
rhodyguy
the shift rod bushing looks a little spent.
Lucky9146
So I decided to run the oil hoses from the front trunk oil cooler back to the engine compartment through the passenger heater tube. A slick idea from the PO but I have to admit I was concerned they would actually fit as the hoses came made up with AN 12 fittings already on. The short story is it worked! I made numerous attempts trying different approaches wanting to avoid removing the fittings. Pictures will show that I filed the the sharp edges of the B nuts, purist will shudder, but they were actually cutting the duct tape as they came through the long tube being pulled by garden hose. In the heat of the moment and the sweat of the fun I neglected to take in process pictures (just imagine duct tape around the two hoses). The final approach was one at a time and you HAVE to have a another person to push as you pull. It really does look cool though! The upsides are; no cutting of holes in fenders, no external lines, very clean look when done. Downsides are; no heater, filing the B nut edges, modifying the heater tube just inside the engine compartment, and worst of all modifying the gas tank because the hose does not fit past the flange on the side of the tank! It is a nicely powder coated tank too. Have started modifying the tank by dimpling the side but the flange will need to be removed. More on that to follow.....
Lucky9146
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 5 2015, 06:25 AM) *

the shift rod bushing looks a little spent.

Like your keen eye, keep 'em coming, I am always looking for one more little part. I'll add this to the list! Thanks.
rhodyguy
do em all. the complete 'kit' from pelican is swell.
rhodyguy
in this picture the top is the throttle cable. the bottom is the clutch. the large one to the right of them is the speedo. you seem to be missing something.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 5 2015, 09:41 AM) *

in this picture the top is the throttle cable. the bottom is the clutch. the large one to the right of them is the speedo. you seem to be missing something.

Thanks rhodyguy for responding to my PM with the picture of your cables. I was trying to figure out which tube the accelerator cable went through since the car came with out the cable. In my picture the PO welded flat washers as back stops for the center e-brake just left of the cables, and I like the idea. So on mine the clutch is on the left, the speedo goes through the larger opening up to the right and the speedo tube must be where I have the safety wire hanging out of. Note PO ran fuel line next to Clutch hole. Mine is a 74 what year is yours? Thanks again
rhodyguy
73'
Larmo63
Great looking engine!!! pray.gif

I think we could almost have a separate thread area here on World just for /6 conversions and talkā€¦.

Andy? rolleyes.gif
Lucky9146
One of the things I have completed is the rear bumper. The car came with a nicely pianted (black) later style rear bumper. The PO was going down the path of black bumpers front and rear. So the car also came wih a fiberglass GT front bumper and matching lower fiberglass valance with the cut out for the cooler.

I really wanted chrome bumpers front and back so I proceded to find a nice early rear and get it chromed. Finding good local chrome shop in San Diego is the challange. I found Escondido Plating and Don does triple chrome great quality for a reasonable price. Also note I bought the new gold 914-6 script and new bumper top.

The front bumper is in work now and another story but it will be steel and chrome.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 5 2015, 11:22 PM) *

One of the things I have completed is the rear bumper. The car came with a nicely pianted (black) later style rear bumper. The PO was going down the path of black bumpers front and rear. So the car also came wih a fiberglass GT front bumper and matching lower fiberglass valance with the cut out for the cooler.

I really wanted chrome bumpers front and back so I proceded to find a nice early rear and get it chromed. Finding good local chrome shop in San Diego is the challange. I found Escondido Plating and Don does triple chrome great quality for a reasonable price. Also note I bought the new gold 914-6 script and new bumper top.

The front bumper is in work now and another story but it will be steel and chrome.

Did the bumper have any dent repairs? What did they charge for the work?
Lucky9146
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Aug 5 2015, 11:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 5 2015, 11:22 PM) *

Did the bumper have any dent repairs? What did they charge for the work?

The bumper did have one small dent and the total was $350 which I thought was reasonable for a local So Cal shop.
Lucky9146
So now I learned from Maltese Falcon that since my car is a 74 and white it could possibly be a limited edition so I will have to check that out! Thanks Marty! Like to see your "hot rod 6/ conversion and meet you some time. Thanks!
[/quote]

On Monday I learned the car could be an LE = Limited Edition. I learned that Jeff Bowlsby has a website with an enormous amount of info in case any of you have never seen it.

It was worth the learning experience but unfortunately my car it is not an LE although it was manufactured within the time frame they were made.

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/
rhodyguy
in your favor it's not an LE. then you would have to undo everything to make it 'correct' for any real collectibility $.
mepstein
[quote name='Lucky9146' date='Aug 6 2015, 11:33 AM' post='2219620']
[/quote]

On Monday I learned the car could be an LE = Limited Edition. I learned that Jeff Bowlsby has a website with an enormous amount of info in case any of you have never seen it.

It was worth the learning experience but unfortunately my car it is not an LE although it was manufactured within the time frame they were made.

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/
[/quote]
Would it really matter? It's been highly modified from stock - in a good way smile.gif
Lucky9146
Thought I would share some history of the car at least what I know. I only have history back to 1990. Prior to that it was to my understanding a CA car. In Aug 1990 it was purchased and went to WA where he owned it until 2010. So in 1990 there began a complete restoration through Jan 1995. No Pictures Darn! As I understand it when the car was completed in Jan 1995 with a super built 4 cyl., it was driven a short time, then something happened, and the car sat until being sold in 2010. During that time the engine was removed and apparently sold. So the main things done to the car by that earlier owner in a complete restoration, besides the previously mentioned paint job and top notch addition of factory P/N flares is:

Koni adjustables, Sport spring kit, Turbo tie rod kit, Cross drilled rotors
911 SC struts. 5 lug conversion, SC brakes, 914-6 half shaft adapters
Boxed trailing arms, Automotion chassis siffening kit, batt tray,
Weltmeister 22m front and rear sway bar, Weltmeister short shift kit
GT rockers, Gt spoiler, GT engine lid
Tweeks rubber kit, 944 mirrors, custom door panels
Fuchs 16" 7 and 8's, MOMO steering wheel & shift knob
And thousands in powder coat, Cad, bushings, misc, and hunderds upon hundreds of new parts, many of which were dealer bought. I actually have a list of all done. It has been off the road to my undersatanding from sometime between 1995 and 1998.
In 2010 my PO bought the car and had it until Nov 2103 when I got it.
Lucky9146
Pictures of front trunk as received. Louver was installed. Bracket had been added for compact spare tire mount. The oil cooler was mounted and I will cover that and the oil cooler shroud in more detail shortly. Note the PO added same size holes matching and between the original holes on the front for the oil cooler intake.
Lucky9146
Minimal rust was treated with Pour 15, louver was sealed from top and bottom, and trunk painted.
lonewolfe
I like how the spare tire mount was added for a space saver spare. Is that the fuel pump mounted on that same firewall? I'm pretty sure it is but what is the other device? Is that a giant fuel filter? I've not seen one like that before if that's what that is. Did you weld in that louvered panel?
Lucky9146
Front carpet reinstalled. Under front louver sealed and undercoated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.