Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Keith914
Loosen the other 5 nuts to nearly off the studs. Lift the carb up the unthreaded stud height - put a screw driver handle or similar spacer under the carb to hold it up - should now be easier to put that remaining carb nut on the stud. Then screw all the nuts backdown following the difficult to access nut.
Lucky9146
Surprise! sad.gif
Came out yesterday morning and found this. barf.gif Yes, that is my Swepco 201 leaking out of the left rear axle seal.

The trans had been gone through under PO direction to add the 6 intermediate plate, change a gear, a needle bearing, and gaskets. Right seal is holding up just fine, go figure, but apparently the trans sitting for 4-6 years is not a good plan. Got some back tracking to do. headbang.gif
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 15 2017, 06:55 PM) *

Love it! Exactly!!!!
porschetub
Don't sweat it Jim,had an input shaft seal go real early,managed to save my new clutch just in time,you are still lucky9146 av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Replace both sides you will be good, beer.gif .
Lucky9146
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 15 2017, 07:54 PM) *

Don't sweat it Jim,had an input shaft seal go real early,managed to save my new clutch just in time,you are still lucky9146 av-943.gif av-943.gif .

agree.gif Thanks! beerchug.gif Yes you are right I truly am still lucky (to have this car).
If you did your own trans work were there any nuances removing the stub shafts? Both sides RH thread? Tips? etc?
white914.jpg
porschetub
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Oct 16 2017, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 15 2017, 07:54 PM) *

agree.gif Thanks! beerchug.gif Yes you are right I truly am still lucky (to have this car).
If you did your own trans work were there any nuances removing the stub shafts? Both sides RH thread? Tips? etc?
white914.jpg

No never touched mine and its not great,others have done this seal repair but not me ...no big deal as far as I have seen.
Your handthrottle lever is this one BTW;
Click to view attachment
The straighter one of the two (rh side pic ),fairly simply thing to build .
Lucky9146
Should I be really worried? Or just worried? confused24.gif

Leaking Transmission stub shaft is out and am going to post a separate tread appealing specifically to "Transmission Experts" for advise on where to go from here.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=317991

white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Looks like things will be OK on the stub shafts and the seals. smile.gif Seemed to be touch and go for a bit with the seal removal. I was actually looking at all that I would have to do to drop it all back out again. Here is the seal that put up quite a fight!

Click to view attachment

And the other stub shaft did not look quite as bad.

Click to view attachment

Then in answer to the thread I posted asking for “Expert Advice” Dr. Evil came to the rescue to offer me a good deal on some shafts and answer some questions. Awesome! Love this site! first.gif
I should be back to making progress again on the tranny soon. Still lots of other areas to address.
white914.jpg bye1.gif
914forme
Not as bad as you say, but still has rust in the path of the seal. The seal was riding on that bright shiny area of the shaft, that "better" one is still barf.gif

Glad you got a good deal from Dr. Evil, I had a couple I would toss in for an offer to keep you moving forward. I know what it is like to get stalled on a project. blink.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Keith914 @ Oct 13 2017, 09:04 PM) *

Loosen the other 5 nuts to nearly off the studs. Lift the carb up the unthreaded stud height - put a screw driver handle or similar spacer under the carb to hold it up - should now be easier to put that remaining carb nut on the stud. Then screw all the nuts backdown following the difficult to access nut.

I had tried lifting the carb when I first posted, but it worked way better by lifting AND standing on my head. biggrin.gif The car is up on jack stands so that might make it a bit tougher I think. Thanks for the tip! On and tight now!

white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 18 2017, 05:07 AM) *

Not as bad as you say, but still has rust in the path of the seal. The seal was riding on that bright shiny area of the shaft, that "better" one is still barf.gif

Glad you got a good deal from Dr. Evil, I had a couple I would toss in for an offer to keep you moving forward. I know what it is like to get stalled on a project. blink.gif

Thanks for weighing in. Yeah that second shaft sucked too! I meant relatively speaking biggrin.gif and thanks for offering to keep me moving had Dr. Evil not come to the rescue. beerchug.gif Great bunch of people here!
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Waiting for my smokin deal axle stub shafts from Dr. Evil smilie_pokal.gif Thanks!

What’s Up With My Headliner? unsure.gif
Not ever having a 914 before leads to not knowing what is correct and what isn’t so I actually had not paid a lot of attention to the headliner and saw nothing major wrong with it other than I noticed it looked like it had come unglued. confused24.gif
I did learn from Toolguy that it really should be perlon. Hmmm.... check the picture, there is perlon under there all right, just this crap was glued right over the top of it.
Ok need some new perlon so 914 Rubber order placed for this and the 914-6 replica hand throttle lever I was looking for.
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Don't know much about short shift kits so I posted a separate thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=318569

I believe the spacer looking thing under my shifter base plate is a Weltmeister Short Shift adapter/ spacer. Looking for anyone with experience with a Weltmeister? Trying to decide if I should leave it or remove it.
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

eric9144
I have one of those in my car, has been in for well over a decade, was way better than stock, I know there are better options out there now but at the time that was it.
914forme
I had on of those once, only once.
For me RennShifter or Wevo all the way. I have had 2 Rennshifters so much better of a driving.gif

Also Tangerine shift linkage will make a huge difference.

And it will be as good as it can be, don't forget the firewall bushing.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Oct 24 2017, 04:19 PM) *

Looking for anyone with experience with a Weltmeister? Trying to decide if I should leave it or remove it.

Have had one in my '73 since 1991, and it's been quite good (new linkage bushings twice in that time). Probably put 80,000-100,000 miles on it. I sometimes think about a Rennshifter or Tangerine linkage, but my car shifts just fine—and got even better when I converted to a six with a straight shift rod.
Larmo63
My car shifts "okay," but now that I'm used to it, I don't really think about it.

The stock shifter is a bit balky even with all new bushings, PMS rod, Tangerine firewall bushing, etc.
Lucky9146
Today is a really BIG DAY! No, I’m not ready to fire up that 6 yet, that will be another big day hopefully in the not too distant future. dry.gif

It’s the 4th birthday of actually purchasing my project car. birthday3.gif

Seems like this “finishing” is taking forever, but I know there are others out there that are that long and longer, so maybe I shouldn’t be too concerned since it’s mostly just me. We refer to our cars usually as “she” and I got her a present for her birthday that I have been waiting to give her and she hasn’t seen it yet so it will be a big surprise. More on that present (and pictures) in another post later today.

Made what seems to be a lot of progress lately with getting the axle shafts reinstalled in the tranny and fluid back it, oh wait that is all redoing, well I guess it still counts as progress. Right? That was a project in itself but part of the two steps forward one step back routine as sometimes happens. Thanks to all again for weighing in on that thread. beerchug.gif

Pretty much finished up underneath the engine now though. Clutch seems to be adjusted ok, shifter shifts, gas pedal will open the carbs fully, the center pull parking brake works great, heat shields on cables and hoses complete, cables are all tied up.

Click to view attachment

Up top in the engine compartment there are still just a few things to do but it’s almost there! Breather hose from oil tank, need to figure out and add an oil breather tank, fuel line flush (after the gas goes in), and just a couple more small details to finish in there. smile.gif
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
Found this Noiko insulation material for the floors of the interior and have been slowly installing that in my spare time, sure cleans up the area!
Great stuff to work with too! Sticks like crazy! They recommend a special roller for installation which I didn’t buy. Still have a bit more of the install to do.

Click to view attachment

The idea is to press the quilting of the foil top until it is smooth. I found a tool which I think actually does a better job than a roller and really gets into all the nooks and crannies. You may already have one. biggrin.gif
Mine is old and smooth and does not have any sharp edges what so ever so I could just press and slide it all over the insulation, plus the small end works great in the corners and valleys.

Click to view attachment

Getting into the corners
Click to view attachment

Flattening it out/ sticking it down just pressing down hard and sliding around.
Click to view attachment

Plus here is a shot of the hand brake fully pulled showing there is no interference with the gear shift (someone raised this issue earlier).
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
moparrob
I'm glad those cables I made 5 years ago actually were the correct length.

Now I can't wait to see what kind of custom center console you come up with to house the handle (and possibly the shifter).
beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ Oct 29 2017, 03:34 PM) *

I'm glad those cables I made 5 years ago actually were the correct length.

Now I can't wait to see what kind of custom center console you come up with to house the handle (and possibly the shifter).
beerchug.gif

Me too on both comments! biggrin.gif
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Ok, so here is the Birthday Present for my car. birthday.gif clap.gif

It’s really a “Good News” (and sorta kinda but not really) “Bad News” scenario.
The good news is two fold, I do have a new German windshield installed!
AND I scored a deal on a brand new 914 Rubber repro dash!

The bad news is the order things occurred. That’s it. biggrin.gif

I bought the windshield and installed it over 2 years ago, June 2015.
Click to view attachment

I scored what I consider a smokin’ deal on the dash earlier this year in March 2017 that I got from a guy who gave up on his project here locally in my town.
My original dash is cracked but I had just planned to live with it and save the money for other things.

Sure would have been nice to have gotten the dash while the windshield was out as I have heard it is much easier. headbang.gif

But can’t complain too much, I mean it is a brand new, still in the box, dash from 914 Rubber!
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
Unless you are removing the entire metal sub dash or installing new vinyl and seal in front of the window, having the windshield already installed won't make a difference.

The most important thing when you install the dash is patience. Almost every nut is a challenge so take it one at a time and don't have a time goal to finish. If you get frustrated, take a break.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Nov 1 2017, 07:03 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Hey whitewinturbo I am ramping up to install my hand throttle from 914 Rubber. In getting ready to do so I sought help through another thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319072

What a ton of very helpful information I got! So helpful are the folks here on the site. Actually just your prod is pretty darn cool. Thanks! beerchug.gif

Also I have been working on the interior sound deadening, vinyl and carpets. This car had a few interesting things in it one of which was the carpet. Not complete and huge heavy black double layer front floor mats.

I was at a swap meet a couple years ago and a guy had a bunch of random charcoal perlon original pieces of carpet I picked up for $20, some nice some not so nice. My goal was to have all all charcoal carpet. I had not spent much time really looking at the pieces I bought back then until this week and I discovered I have the majority of it. So I removed this nasty black piece that was in the front passenger bulk head and my charcoal swap meet piece below.

Click to view attachment

This is where I am right now on the interior. You'll notice I am using alum thresholds and had been keeping an eye out for those. Stumbled on some for free recently, not perfect but useable and I prefer the alum to the black plastic.
It's coming along slowly. white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
My 6 Hand Throttle Journey.

I posted a separate thread to gain a wider audience and more input which proved to be very helpful and provided the detail I was looking for. Here is the thread which will have more information than I have here.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319072

I want to document in my build thread some of the more pertinent information I found most helpful and my final result.

The lever assembly came from 914 Rubber and I thank them for replicating the factory lever assembly.
Click to view attachment

Pertinent to my install is that I wanted to install this hand throttle AND keep my short shift this of course mad it just a bit more complicated.

A few posts back I also sought help with a separate thread asking for short shift experience, where with a lot of very good input pro and con, I decided to try it (being as I have never actually driven this car) as one suggested, because it could always be taken out later.

The short shift adapter alum casting is about ½” thick needed two modifications. One was to notch the forward end where there was plenty of meat to make room for the hand throttle but I neglected to get a pic of that. The other modification was to drill and tap a hole for the aft hole of the hand throttle assembly base. Then I countersunk the aft hole of the throttle assembly base and put the only metric flat head screw I had into it. Interesting there is a hole in the shifter plate that does not match the hole for the hand throttle?

In process picture
Click to view attachment

Here is all the stuff that really helped.
The colored sketch from 914 Rubber gives a good overview but not the detail for the “Shark Fin” install.
Click to view attachment

I found these pics from SixerJ to be most helpful to installing the “some assembly required” “Shark Fin” to the accelerator lever. pray.gif
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I also found this one from raynekat helpful of a 914 Rubber fin installed
Click to view attachment

So here is what I ended up with.
Click to view attachment

On the back I tacked an extra brace. Probably looks like over kill but I don’t think too many people will be looking and it will never bend. biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Re-installing the lever with fin was not too bad. But for those of us with transition lenses (trifocals) it is sometimes hard to actually see where you want to. blink.gif
There you have it with the throttle rod smack in the middle of the “Shark Fin”
Click to view attachment

And the finished product that I am quite happy with.
Click to view attachment

On to the next thing! Thanks everybody! bye1.gif
white914.jpg

914wrenchin
VERY NICE
raynekat
Was the front support (locating) bracket for the hand throttle hard to place in the correct place?
Looks like you got the rod end right in the middle of the shark fin.
Does the rod end slide up the shark fin when you engage the hand throttle?
Lucky9146
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 3 2017, 03:33 PM) *

Was the front support (locating) bracket for the hand throttle hard to place in the correct place?

Thanks for asking and I forgot to mention the hole/slot already exists on the tunnel for the front rod support bracket so you do not need to make one. Bonus! It was easy to place the front rod support bracket.

Install the the mechanism in the shifter area first without the front support bracket and rubber end cap. Then place the rod support bracket in from the top opening in the tunnel onto the end of the rod and bring it back and line it up with the slotted hole and secure it with the bolt provided. The support bracket has a locator on it to keep it from tuning and correctly positions the rod vertically as well aiming at the "shark Fin". Just make sure you have the clutch linkage attached because it will block access from the passenger side.

The rod does NOT slide up the shark fin it just pushes the pedal forward as intended. Note there is a rubber tip on the end of the rod.

The cool thing for me is having the short shift plate on there did not really affect the outcome. biggrin.gif

Best of luck! beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
defianty
Thanks for the info regarding the hand throttle. I plan to add one to my car and wasn't aware of the 'shark fin'. Guess I'll just have to rebuild my pedal cluster again.
Lucky9146
Not much progress lately. Or really it amounts to “little things” are getting done. smile.gif

I finished the sound deadener on the floor and the majority of the carpet.

Reworked one seat track to install my 914 Rubber seat adjuster handle.

Posted a thread looking for pictures and ideas on tank breathers from 6 owners and have been getting some good input.
Love the utter simplicity of some of them.
Here is the thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319486

Started sorting through my seat belt situation, with the help of Larmo63, beerchug.gif and learned I am a couple of pieces short for full sets of standard 914 seat belts. I believe Dlewis donated them a couple years back and it’s a good start! first.gif
Time to post a WTB.

Hooked the battery up to the chassis yesterday (it’s been about 2 years) and it was motivating to see some lights and stuff actually work. Of course this generated the proverbial electrical “to do” list. sad.gif
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment

Larmo63
Your front lower snout looks "business."

I like that look. cheer.gif
Cairo94507
Yup, looks very nice. beerchug.gif
flmont
where did you find the front lower valence,..was it pre cut like that,.?? TIA Frank
914forme
It is a standard 914-6 GT front valance all the usual suspects carry them.

GT Racings

Lucky9146
QUOTE(flmont @ Nov 11 2017, 09:49 AM) *

where did you find the front lower valence,..was it pre cut like that,.?? TIA Frank

The valance actually came with the project car I bought so I really don't know who made it.

The trick was mating up the fiberglass lower valance to my customized front bumper because the valance was designed to mate up with the corresponding fiberglass bumper that it came with (since sold).

Know a metal magician who performed the work on the bumper, and it wasn't the greatest to start with. He actually matched the steel bumper to the valance perfectly.
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

I see 914forme has a suggestion and I am sure there are others who make them.
Best of luck to you!
white914.jpg
porschetub
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 4 2017, 11:33 AM) *

Its not too hard ,I think I only drilled one hole and bolted it on ,you can then move it up and down a little to suit,my guide bracket would appear to be a little shorter than Jims one as I had to turn the "fin " a bit further upwards to centre the rod.
Certainly easier if you have a unit ready to go but I enjoyed making mine.

agree.gif that front view is the business,looks really sharp,love the comment about the electrics Jim made SO true in my situation also,I don't run my car that often and there's always something ,I feel for guys with crappy/butchered looms lucky for me mines unmolested.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 11 2017, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 4 2017, 11:33 AM) *

agree.gif that front view is the business,looks really sharp,love the comment about the electrics Jim made SO true in my situation also,I don't run my car that often and there's always something ,I feel for guys with crappy/butchered looms lucky for me mines unmolested.

Thanks porschetub and also to Larmo63 and Cairo94507 for comments on "business" snout. Spending most of my time at the other end for months and recently moving to the interior I haven't really had much of a chance to see it with the front butted right up to the garage door. I love the look.

As for the wiring mine has been a bit more than molested I'm afraid. porscehtub you are lucky! agree.gif

Here is one I am fixing today. Picture does not do it justice though as you cannot see to the right of that primo splice there were only 2 strands left hidden under crappy old electrical tape. mad.gif Going to be fun to fix up by the hood release handle! wacko.gif
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
porschetub
Oh dear,I'am into solder and heatshrink not much more permanent....if you can get in there ? otherwise use duraseal heatshink connectors,they are a total sealed connection and there is no oxidization of the wire.
Good luck...when are you going to fire the beast ? aktion035.gif aktion035.gif .
moparrob

Thanks porschetub and also to Larmo63 and Cairo94507 for comments on "business" snout. Spending most of my time at the other end for months and recently moving to the interior I haven't really had much of a chance to see it with the front butted right up to the garage door. I love the look.

As for the wiring mine has been a bit more than molested I'm afraid. porscehtub you are lucky! agree.gif

Here is one I am fixing today. Picture does not do it justice though as you cannot see to the right of that primo splice there were only 2 strands left hidden under crappy old electrical tape. mad.gif Going to be fun to fix up by the hood release handle! wacko.gif
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment

That splice job was definitely not my work. Need to have a chat with Roland... chair.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ Nov 11 2017, 04:01 PM) *

white914.jpg
Click to view attachment

That splice job was definitely not my work. Need to have a chat with Roland... chair.gif

No it was not your work, too old, I should have specified PPO = Previous Previous Owner biggrin.gif That electrical tape screamed the 90's! smile.gif

Good luck on that Roland thing he is MIA for a while. Should you raise him remind him he said he would get me some pictures from back in the day slap.gif
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 11 2017, 03:35 PM) *

Oh dear,I'am into solder and heatshrink not much more permanent....if you can get in there ? otherwise use duraseal heatshink connectors,they are a total sealed connection and there is no oxidization of the wire.
Good luck...when are you going to fire the beast ? aktion035.gif aktion035.gif .

I only do solder and heat shrink too, and did get it done, but your tip on duraseal may come in handy one day, so duly noted. beerchug.gif

When am I going to fire the beast? good question! Thanks for asking. idea.gif I get similar questions like “when you gunna fire it up?” or “when do think you’ll be done?” confused24.gif My usual answer is “when it’s done” tongue.gif And I’m not saying that to be a wise ass. cool.gif
Hell really I don’t know. popcorn[1].gif It literally all depends on what I run into next! There have been far too many unplanned time consuming events that pop up to commit to anything. The list is getting shorter and there are no more parts in the dining room. biggrin.gif

There is a pretty good list of things on the interior yet to do besides the vinyl, carpet, and trim I’ve been working on. The hand throttle is now complete and that turned into more of a project than expected but I learned a lot. Got that new 914 Rubber dash I mentioned at the 4th birthday.gif to install which is really cool but I know it could be a bitch.

There is the center pull hand brake aesthetics where I need to fashion something to make it look “right” in there with a console or something and I’ve been looking at that. sawzall-smiley.gif idea.gif And then there’s whole a bunch of other interior odds and ends in there to finish and sort out. Seat belts for instance, piecing that together now.

I would like to completely strip off whatever undercoating/ dirt/ crud from the bottom of the car, but not the paint, and really just clean it up. Defianty was doing it with his special tool biggrin.gif on his and so it inspired me. I mean the car is up in the air now. Right? Might as well do it right.

And I am not going to even mention the wiring issues I have. stromberg.gif help.gif

Couple months? Maybe……………
white914.jpg
defianty
You mocking my tool Jim? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Good luck with the scraping. It's an awful job and one I'm so glad I've now completed. I must get around to updating my thread but it's just been boring rust welding repairs of late. All was going well until my finger had an argument with the angle grinder! No prizes for guessing who won. Fortunately it could have been worse and I'll be back out working on the car in just a few days with all ten digits intact.

Keep up the good work Jim.
914forme
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 11 2017, 06:35 PM) *

Do like the rocket boys do.Do use adhesive heat shrink after that,'

Lucky9146
Posted a thread looking for wider audience on the specific topic of oil tank breathers on 6 cylinder cars and found some very inventive ideas, so I thought I would tie it in here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319486

Have a look if you have not seen it as you will not be disappointed! No two a like. I haven't decided which way to go just yet but another "thing" I would like to have behind me. I appreciate the input and I will post my contraption. biggrin.gif
white914.jpg

Larmo63
I'm going to use one of these on the firewall and just run the breather hose right down into it.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 12 2017, 08:25 PM) *

I'm going to use one of these on the firewall and just run the breather hose right down into it.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Cool but I kinda liked the other one you posted on the thread, this is a real improvement tho biggrin.gif
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
In addition to my partial list of things yet to be done in my last big post, my Targa top needs the headliner changed and maybe, an exterior repaint. Made a little progress on the headliner replacement the other day. Perlon from 914 Rubber. Another plug smile.gif

Here is a prime example of chain of events leading to extra time and therefore not really knowing when the car will be done. That forward cover piece between the latches has 4 screws under those little plastic caps. Three screws came out perfectly but the 4th well, not so much. I won't say how long it took. mad.gif

Then I discovered a lot of glue where it wasn’t supposed to be, so I have got to get that off of course! Then I realized the latches looked pretty shabby and probably should be stripped and repainted, so now I’m disassembling latches and on we go!
Could this have all waited? I suppose, but it’s hard for me to do things half assed I guess. biggrin.gif
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I started on the dash replacement! sunglasses.gif
mepstein
Looks great!
It’s all those little details that seperate a great build from a nice one.

Just this morning I pulled out these seats to clean them off. Then things got away from me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.