Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 10 2018, 05:27 PM) *

Car looks great.... nice lift as well.

Thanks! beerchug.gif
If you or anyone is considering this lift PM me.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Wanted to take a minute to give the utmost credit to Paul at Performance Oriented for the fine work he did on the Weber carbs for me. Part of his service is he sets them up and runs them, dialing them in on his test engine, and he claims they are ready to run.

Well this is no joke and in fact they were ready to run and I have not even had to adjust them further yet. I can do some checks, and will soon, but to be honest they are set up so well this engine just fires right up and idles so smooth. smilie_pokal.gif

This was one area I wanted to eliminate as a potential unknown on first start up and he did that for me. Paul really stands behind his work too. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
pete000
This is on my wish list...
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 11 2018, 07:34 PM) *

Wanted to take a minute to give the utmost credit to Paul at Performance Oriented for the fine work he did on the Weber carbs for me. Part of his service is he sets them up and runs them, dialing them in on his test engine, and he claims they are ready to run.

Well this is no joke and in fact they were ready to run and I have not even had to adjust them further yet. I can do some checks, and will soon, but to be honest they are set up so well this engine just fires right up and idles so smooth. smilie_pokal.gif

This was one area I wanted to eliminate as a potential unknown on first start up and he did that for me. Paul really stands behind his work too. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Hey Jim-

Rumor is Paul is retiring and thus NO longer taking on work.

Do you know anything about this?

Oscar
Lucky9146
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 12 2018, 06:33 AM) *

driving.gif white914.jpg

Hey Jim-

Oscar

Oscar.
I didn't know the answer so I went to the horses mouth to ask Paul about retiring and more jobs. I was surprised. Here is his reply of a few minutes ago. type.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Hi Jim,
Well yes & no. I am not taking on more work until all current customer obligations are completed and I have rebuilt my 35 sets of Webers for sale. By this time, I will have reached retirement age of 65 and will enjoy the benefits associated by that. Once all the above has been accomplished I will again take on customer projects as best I can. I expect this effort to extend through the better part of 2019 to achieve.

Cheers,

Paul Abbott
Performance Oriented
1040 Luradel Ave S
Salem, Oregon 97302
www.PerformanceOriented.com
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 12 2018, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 12 2018, 06:33 AM) *

driving.gif white914.jpg

Hey Jim-

Oscar

Oscar.
I didn't know the answer so I went to the horses mouth to ask Paul about retiring and more jobs. I was surprised. Here is his reply of a few minutes ago. type.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Hi Jim,
Well yes & no. I am not taking on more work until all current customer obligations are completed and I have rebuilt my 35 sets of Webers for sale. By this time, I will have reached retirement age of 65 and will enjoy the benefits associated by that. Once all the above has been accomplished I will again take on customer projects as best I can. I expect this effort to extend through the better part of 2019 to achieve.

Cheers,

Paul Abbott
Performance Oriented
1040 Luradel Ave S
Salem, Oregon 97302
www.PerformanceOriented.com

That was quick.

Thanks for the update Jim. I have only heard good things about Paul of Performance Oriented.

drunk.gif
Lucky9146
Had a chance to go to the Peterson Museum today and Stop by and see Marty at MSDS working on his project.

If you have not been to the Porsche Effect Display at the Peterson, put it on your list of things to do....
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
There are some great cars at the Peterson and I won't ruin it for you with posting more pictures but they have an impressive display including race cars and a 917. Saw this cool poster and have to share it here.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
As I said we, as in my wife and I, got a chance to see Marty's "project" today. I am guilty of not having checked out his thread but will keep an eye on it from now on!!! Cool car smilie_pokal.gif

He is a pretty humble guy in my opinion and said he thought he posted so many pictures that people had seen enough well this site is about pictures of his project and I don't think you can post too many, so let Marty know you want to see more. aktion035.gif

Had a great time there today and he graciously took time to describe in detail what he and his son are working on. His car is going to be a beast!

PS My picture does not do that engine and trans justice, it is just beautiful in person! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Marty is going to do some rework to my Right header to solve my exhaust leak. The one flange is out of plane to the other and leaking and we can't explain why. He sold the headers to the PO like 7 years ago it is anybodies guess as to WTF.gif may have occurred during that time.

The upshot here though is Marty is such a stand up guy, and as I mentioned before he offered to fix it, and really does stand behind his work. first.gif

Note soot Right Flange

Click to view attachment

I had tried a number of things to fix the leak, and had the muffler off and on a number of times, trying to figure out what the hell the problem was. I finally noticed the angles of the flanges looked different from the side Took a 18" X 24" square and stood it on the floor and the left flange looked like this.

Click to view attachment

Then the right flange looked like this.
When Marty saw this he said send it up and he would fix it. He said there is no way gaskets and permatex would fix that! He is going to cut off the flange and weld on a new one. Thanks Marty!!!! beerchug.gif
driving: white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
moparrob
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 15 2018, 08:17 PM) *

As I said we, as in my wife and I, got a chance to see Marty's "project" today. I am guilty of not having checked out his thread but will keep an eye on it from now on!!! Cool car smilie_pokal.gif

Sounds like a great day on all fronts.

I did not see that Marty had posted a thread on a new build, and could not find it on a search by his username. Do you happen to have the link Jim?
porschetub
[quote name='Lucky9146' date='Apr 16 2018, 04:48 PM' post='2599849']
Marty is going to do some rework to my Right header to solve my exhaust leak. The one flange is out of plane to the other and leaking and we can't explain why. He sold the headers to the PO like 7 years ago it is anybodies guess as to WTF.gif may have occurred during that time.

The upshot here though is Marty is such a stand up guy, and as I mentioned before he offered to fix it, and really does stand behind his work. first.gif

Note soot Right Flange

Click to view attachment

I had tried a number of things to fix the leak, and had the muffler off and on a number of times, trying to figure out what the hell the problem was. I finally noticed the angles of the flanges looked different from the side Took a 18" X 24" square and stood it on the floor and the left flange looked like this.

Had the same issue,but the custom built headers I purchased from the PO were fine ,his supplied 2 in one out had bent flanges and leaked ..a real hassle to sort but ok now.
Wow Marty moved in there to sort it,pleased for you.

Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ Apr 15 2018, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 15 2018, 08:17 PM) *

Sounds like a great day on all fronts.

I did not see that Marty had posted a thread on a new build, and could not find it on a search by his username. Do you happen to have the link Jim?

Marty's Project is "Porsche 914 - 8 GTT" under the handle MATTYLITE Check it out if you haven't already. Pretty cool build and all Porsche! first.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
My car came with a Momo steering wheel. Posting Pics of my stock steering wheel that I bought here off a member and had leather recovered. It is a 1973 dated wheel so correct later for my '74. Trying to figure out the bits I need to complete the horn with mepstein. Thanks Mark! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Looks like you have all the right parts except the plastic horn ring that has a wire attached. I’ll look through my stash for a good one.
defianty
You'll need one of these too Jim.

IPB Image
Lucky9146
Back a page to page 30 Post 596 I was showing my crumbling front sway bar drop link bushings.
I ordered what I was sure to be the correct ones, after being on the phone with what seemed to be a very thorough guy for about an hour, no exaggeration.

I received not the wrong ones but the wrong part entirely from a supplier I had never dealt with, they shall remain nameless and I will not flame them. What they sent was drop links instead of bushings, and not even MY drop link! confused24.gif

When this happened I became concerned because this sway bar is well over 20 years old and I began to think un-obtainable. I have the Weltmeister front sway bar and the picture below shows the 4 "K" bushings I am trying to get.

I did however find them at Paragon in Corpus Christie TX. Turns out the guy has a 914! Great guy! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

I decided to also replace the 2 sway bar bushings Part "S" that actually go in the bushing cups with bar running through the car. Trying to measure the driver side bar to figure out if I had a 19 mm or 22 mm bar, the bushing looked OK.

Click to view attachment

When I looked at the passenger side I found this ugly sight. barf.gif
How I never noticed this before I do not know. headbang.gif It looks like it may never been installed right. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

What I don't understand is what if anything actually holds the sway bar centered to keep this from ever happening again? Obviously the bar is longer by about 1 3/4 inches than the width of the installed bushing cup ends.

I have decided to post another specific topic thread and reach out to anyone else with this particular Weltmeister bar. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=327883

Thanks for looking in any help appreciated! help.gif
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Below are the key points from the thread I posted that I wanted captured here in my build thread.
"Anybody Have This 22mm Weltmeister Front Sway Bar?, Don't understand what keeps it centered"
I thank you one and all for all the help. This is truly a great thread! beerchug.gif
pete000 Apr 20 2018, 09:28 PM Post #2

I have that same bar but haven't had any issues with it drifting.
Steve Apr 20 2018, 09:33 PM Post #3

I used to have that Weltmeister bar. The bushing should look the same on both
sides with about an 1/8” sticking out on both sides. You center the bar with the
arms flush to the bushing on both sides. They do have a tendency to move side
to side. Either dump the whole thing and buy a tarret bar or buy some clamps
on the inside from McMaster Carr.
defianty Apr 20 2018, 11:48 PM Post #6

I have the same bar Jim. Although I've never run with it yet I did purchase
two shaft collars with grubs to alleviate any lateral movement. Plan is to install
them on the inner wheel well next to the sway bar support plates. I also got some
large nylon washers to stop any contact.

I'm sure I got this idea from someone on here so hopefully they'll be along soon.
with pictures.

One problem I did have was finding a 19mm collar. In the end I got 18mm
and had a friend machine them out to size.
Luke M Apr 21 2018, 06:59 AM Post #7

I have a brand new welt bar that I haven't installed yet. I do see the kit comes
with 2 hose clamps which would clamp around the bar under the fuel tank. I
would say this is to keep the bar from drifting left to right. I plan on replacing
the clamps for collars when I do install it.
jcd914 Apr 21 2018, 10:20 AM Post #9

I have dealt with this in a few ways.

First push the bushing all the way in to the bush cup mounted to the inner fender, they should only stick a short distance.
Then loosen the arms on the bar and work them in as far as they will go.
The arms clamp on the square end of the bar and can move around if loose or
may not have been install pushed on to the bar as far as possible.

Now you will know how much gap you have to deal with.
I have had some where there was very little gap and the bar could only move
back and forth a few mm.

If you have enough gap your bar will move side to side much, there are different
ways to fill the gap.

However you deal with the gap you want to end up with the arms equally spaced
on each side of the car in order to keep the geometry of the swaybar arms, drop
links and A-arms the same.

The hose clamp the some kits come with is functional but I don't like it.
Clamp on collars work much better but you then might have metal rubbing
against metal depending on where you install them.
I have always put them on the outside, between the swaybar arm and the bushing.
It means you don't have to remove the fuel tank if you want to take the bar out
or if a collar worked loose and needs to be tightened.

I have had spacers made of plastic bushing material (turcite), basically a pair of
large plastic washers that fit over the bar and go between the arm and the
bushing end or the bushing cup.

I have had wider bushing made up that have a step so the push into the bushing
cup and stop against the outer edge and have a larger surface for the swaybar
arm to rub against.

I have also (in a pinch) taken a PVC pipe fitting that fit over the bar and cut it
into spacers to fit between the sway bar arm and the bushing to fill the gap.
Note: I did not do this on a customers car, not a real professional solution but it
worked.

You just want the bar centered and set up with very little play to move side to
side.

Jim
wysri9 @ Apr 23 2018, 02:30 PM)

I took a good look at mine and although this is only a test build, things seem to snug up nicely. I could detect no play between the bushings. here are some pics:-

Lucky9146 Apr 25 2018, 10:10 PM

Looks great and thanks for the pics. Your picture shows very well the large space from the arm to the cotter pin.
Click to view attachment

I have my issue figured out. When the car came to me I thought it was set up as I had been told the car had seen 145 mph clocked at a track with a big 4. I should have checked it and did not.
It appears that the arms either were not tight or had walked outboard toward the cotter pin. I plan to put some type of spacer between the arm and the cotter pin just to ensure it does stay in place. Thanks again
jcd914 Apr 25 2018, 04:30 PM Post #16

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 25 2018, 09:53 AM)

Finally came to the realization that the drop links on mine are incorrect and way
too short.
This can be seen from the picture sent by wysri9 here. At the time this photo was
posted I was more concerned with the slider arm and all the extra space to the
cotter pin to digest this now obvious fact. It wasn't until I tried to reassemble that
things just did not make sense.
Click to view attachment

Spoke with Jason at Paragon Products in Corpus Christie TX and he confirmed it.
The drop link should be 6 7/8" long and mine is only 4 7/8' long.
Explains a lot. The front suspension was so pre-loaded and the A arms actually
hung on the sway bar arms as opposed to the struts. Now I understand why it was
so hard to get it apart. A full 2" too short?
Keep in mind I barely have this thing on the road, still sorting out the bugs and
break the engine in, so very few miles yet to guage anything.

The correct length for your drop link is dependent on the ride height of your car.
Ideally the sway bar arm should be parallel to the ground when the car is settled
on its suspension. So the length of the drop link would be different depending on
your ride height. I have shortened many sets of drop links to match them to the
car they are going on.

I think the Weltmeister drop links are too long to begin with except for car
sitting at full height.

I would wait to change the drop links until you can get the car on the ground and
settled and see where the arm is.

Lucky9146 Apr 26 2018, 10:10 PM

jcd914 is correct that the drop link is dependent on the ride height. My car is low.
I set the car on the suspension with the sway bar arms horizontal to the ground and the 4 7/8" drop links that I had fit perfectly!
Personally, I think the Weltmeister instructions suck. barf.gif
Thank you jcd914 This is a great site!
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
moparrob
Man this is like a bad dream that just wont stop. When is that car going to be finished?
The ghost of Roland lives in that car.
914Toy
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 27 2018, 11:35 AM) *

Below are the key points from the thread I posted that I wanted captured here in my build thread.
"Anybody Have This 22mm Weltmeister Front Sway Bar?, Don't understand what keeps it centered"
I thank you one and all for all the help. This is truly a great thread! beerchug.gif
pete000 Apr 20 2018, 09:28 PM Post #2

I have that same bar but haven't had any issues with it drifting.
Steve Apr 20 2018, 09:33 PM Post #3

I used to have that Weltmeister bar. The bushing should look the same on both
sides with about an 1/8” sticking out on both sides. You center the bar with the
arms flush to the bushing on both sides. They do have a tendency to move side
to side. Either dump the whole thing and buy a tarret bar or buy some clamps
on the inside from McMaster Carr.
defianty Apr 20 2018, 11:48 PM Post #6

I have the same bar Jim. Although I've never run with it yet I did purchase
two shaft collars with grubs to alleviate any lateral movement. Plan is to install
them on the inner wheel well next to the sway bar support plates. I also got some
large nylon washers to stop any contact.

I'm sure I got this idea from someone on here so hopefully they'll be along soon.
with pictures.

One problem I did have was finding a 19mm collar. In the end I got 18mm
and had a friend machine them out to size.
Luke M Apr 21 2018, 06:59 AM Post #7

I have a brand new welt bar that I haven't installed yet. I do see the kit comes
with 2 hose clamps which would clamp around the bar under the fuel tank. I
would say this is to keep the bar from drifting left to right. I plan on replacing
the clamps for collars when I do install it.
jcd914 Apr 21 2018, 10:20 AM Post #9

I have dealt with this in a few ways.

First push the bushing all the way in to the bush cup mounted to the inner fender, they should only stick a short distance.
Then loosen the arms on the bar and work them in as far as they will go.
The arms clamp on the square end of the bar and can move around if loose or
may not have been install pushed on to the bar as far as possible.

Now you will know how much gap you have to deal with.
I have had some where there was very little gap and the bar could only move
back and forth a few mm.

If you have enough gap your bar will move side to side much, there are different
ways to fill the gap.

However you deal with the gap you want to end up with the arms equally spaced
on each side of the car in order to keep the geometry of the swaybar arms, drop
links and A-arms the same.

The hose clamp the some kits come with is functional but I don't like it.
Clamp on collars work much better but you then might have metal rubbing
against metal depending on where you install them.
I have always put them on the outside, between the swaybar arm and the bushing.
It means you don't have to remove the fuel tank if you want to take the bar out
or if a collar worked loose and needs to be tightened.

I have had spacers made of plastic bushing material (turcite), basically a pair of
large plastic washers that fit over the bar and go between the arm and the
bushing end or the bushing cup.

I have had wider bushing made up that have a step so the push into the bushing
cup and stop against the outer edge and have a larger surface for the swaybar
arm to rub against.

I have also (in a pinch) taken a PVC pipe fitting that fit over the bar and cut it
into spacers to fit between the sway bar arm and the bushing to fill the gap.
Note: I did not do this on a customers car, not a real professional solution but it
worked.

You just want the bar centered and set up with very little play to move side to
side.

Jim
wysri9 @ Apr 23 2018, 02:30 PM)

I took a good look at mine and although this is only a test build, things seem to snug up nicely. I could detect no play between the bushings. here are some pics:-

Lucky9146 Apr 25 2018, 10:10 PM

Looks great and thanks for the pics. Your picture shows very well the large space from the arm to the cotter pin.
Click to view attachment

I have my issue figured out. When the car came to me I thought it was set up as I had been told the car had seen 145 mph clocked at a track with a big 4. I should have checked it and did not.
It appears that the arms either were not tight or had walked outboard toward the cotter pin. I plan to put some type of spacer between the arm and the cotter pin just to ensure it does stay in place. Thanks again
jcd914 Apr 25 2018, 04:30 PM Post #16

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 25 2018, 09:53 AM)

Finally came to the realization that the drop links on mine are incorrect and way
too short.
This can be seen from the picture sent by wysri9 here. At the time this photo was
posted I was more concerned with the slider arm and all the extra space to the
cotter pin to digest this now obvious fact. It wasn't until I tried to reassemble that
things just did not make sense.
Click to view attachment

Spoke with Jason at Paragon Products in Corpus Christie TX and he confirmed it.
The drop link should be 6 7/8" long and mine is only 4 7/8' long.
Explains a lot. The front suspension was so pre-loaded and the A arms actually
hung on the sway bar arms as opposed to the struts. Now I understand why it was
so hard to get it apart. A full 2" too short?
Keep in mind I barely have this thing on the road, still sorting out the bugs and
break the engine in, so very few miles yet to guage anything.

The correct length for your drop link is dependent on the ride height of your car.
Ideally the sway bar arm should be parallel to the ground when the car is settled
on its suspension. So the length of the drop link would be different depending on
your ride height. I have shortened many sets of drop links to match them to the
car they are going on.

I think the Weltmeister drop links are too long to begin with except for car
sitting at full height.

I would wait to change the drop links until you can get the car on the ground and
settled and see where the arm is.

jcd914 is correct that the drop link is dependent on the ride height. My car is low.
I set the car on the suspension with the sway bar arms horizontal to the ground and the 4 7/8" drop links that I had fit perfectly!
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment

My 2 cent worth - as a place to start, you have the drop links too close to the torsion bar - i.e. will probably be too resistant to car roll = hard ride and significant stress on the wheel well.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(914Toy @ Apr 27 2018, 12:54 PM) *

white914.jpg

My 2 cent worth - as a place to start, you have the drop links too close to the torsion bar - i.e. will probably be too resistant to car roll = hard ride and significant stress on the wheel well.

I appreciate your input believe me. Here is my struggle. The Weltmeister instructions suggest "a starting position, place the slider clamps so the forward edge of the clamp is about 3" from the forward edge of the arm (away from the bar itself)".
Mine are at 2 3/4" right now.

I kind of thought the same as you, until hooking up the exact same hardware I had, but with new bushings. If the clamp is to come forward much, it looks to me, like it will bind the turnbuckle on the bottom to the corresponding mount.

The directions further say to reduce understeer slide the slider clamps forward away from the sway bar.
To reduce oversteer move the slider clamps back closer to to the rear.

I have very little seat time due to various reasons. Of that tiny seat time I did not notice anything radically peculiar in the steering, but time will tell. The concern you bring up about stress on the wheel well has me concerned. It is my understanding the suspension was set up by a reputable shop in WA. The car just may be too damn low, I don't know. I may need to find someone knowledgeable locally to bless this mess. Thanks! beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
914Toy
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 27 2018, 02:44 PM) *

white914.jpg

I appreciate your input believe me. Here is my struggle. The Weltmeister instructions suggest "a starting position, place the slider clamps so the forward edge of the clamp is about 3" from the forward edge of the arm (away from the bar itself)".

I kind of thought the same as you, until hooking up the exact same hardware I had, but with new bushings. If the clamp is to come forward much, it looks to me, like it will bind the turnbuckle on the bottom to the corresponding mount.

The directions further say to reduce understeer slide the slider clamps forward away from the sway bar.

I have very little seat time due to various reasons. Of that tiny seat time I did not notice anything radically peculiar in the steering, but time will tell. The concern you bring up about stress on the wheel well has me concerned. It is my understanding the suspension was set up by a reputable shop in WA. The car just may be too damn low, I don't know. I may need to find someone knowledgeable locally to bless this mess. Thanks! beerchug.gif
white914.jpg

Obviously the diameter of the anti-roll bar is key. My comments are based on the pics. I would start more like 5” from the bar and then adjust as necessary.
Although the advice above on which way to move them to reduce under over steer is counter intuitive, I know it is correct based on my track experience.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ Apr 27 2018, 12:40 PM) *

Man this is like a bad dream that just wont stop. When is that car going to be finished?
The ghost of Roland lives in that car.

Perhaps I should have taken you up on one of your three offers to buy it back when I had the chance poke.gif . lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(914Toy @ Apr 27 2018, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 27 2018, 02:44 PM) *

white914.jpg

white914.jpg

Obviously the diameter of the anti-roll bar is key. My comments are based on the pics. I would start more like 5” from the bar and then adjust as necessary.
Although the advice above on which way to move them to reduce under over steer is counter intuitive, I know it is correct based on my track experience.

Just measured from the center of the bar to the center of the sliding clamp is 4 1/2 inches, so I am close. Thanks!
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Drove it for about an hour yesterday and it is running great! driving.gif Hadn't driven it much yet because of the exhaust leak, which is now fixed, and trying to understand why so much smoke on start up.

I initially thought there may have been too much oil in the system and researched dip stick lengths among other things in an effort to prove there was or wasn't. Have a PMS tank with what appears to be a OEM oil filler neck bringing into question whether the oil level was correct. Oil level is fine. I had been concerned about the smoke on start up, but as many told me, "just drive it" and they were right, the JE rings were just a little stubborn breaking in. All OK now. smile.gif

The suspension seems fine and even as low as the car sits, there is suspension travel. Did not detect any steering issues with the sway bar set up the way I got the car, but now with new bushings. Drop links are the correct length as reported earlier but now proven with road test. Great day yesterday! driving.gif

Today debut at the local PCASD Cars and Coffee. The 914 received a lot of attention and positive comments this morning. My wife accompanied me and we had a great time. One of the best turn outs for C&C here locally.
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Steve
Are you running a puke bottle? Dumb me I overfilled the oil tank which was causing excess oil into the intake. I had horrible smoke on startup, until I removed the oil breather from the intake and put it into a puke bottle. Otherwise some smoke on startup is normal. Maybe post a video of it.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 29 2018, 03:19 PM) *

Are you running a puke bottle? Dumb me I overfilled the oil tank which was causing excess oil into the intake. I had horrible smoke on startup, until I removed the oil breather from the intake and put it into a puke bottle. Otherwise some smoke on startup is normal. Maybe post a video of it.

Check on the puke bottle. Nothing to the carbs related to the oil system. Pretty sure now it was just the rings breaking in slower than anticipated.
Hope to do another driving video soon. Thanks for weighing in Steve. beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
One thing I always wanted, but never thought I would find, was a set of real Scheel seats to finish out my 6 GT conversion.
I was super excited I had found a set of vintage Scheel seats in early March. They arrived extremely well packed with great care.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I knew from the pictures I’d seen before I bought them that they needed a little work so first thing I wanted to do was get them to my upholstery guy so that he could hopefully make repairs with some closely matched vinyl to a few problem areas.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I drove them almost immediately to the upholstery shop and that is where I got a rude awakening. Within minutes I learned the vinyl had been recovered. He informed me that the vinyl on the seats was not really a period correct vinyl and showed me the difference. I had thought these were original seats. sad.gif Oh boy here we go.
white914.jpg

Lucky9146
My upholsterer and I talked about recovering with a correct vinyl because he could not replace the damaged sections only. We thought we could keep what looked to be the original corduroy, so we planned a recover. The seats really did not seem to look the same though, somehow the shapes were a little different we noticed. When the seats sit side by side there were many differences, even in the corduroy sections. The head rests angles did not match either, with one being straight up vertical, while the other was tilted back. I was thinking the head rest was bent and would be something I could bend back.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

One seat bottom was not the same as the other as far as the cushion and attachment. Hard to describe this but one was fastened down well, and the other just lifted right up unattached.
Next was he would strip them down and a few days later I would pick up the frames to get them blasted.
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
When I returned to the shop there was more bad news from the tear down. It wasn’t that the head rest was bent, it was that the actual frames were different, physically shaped different, even made slightly different, and one a tad shorter. One frame was now going to need to be modified to look like the other.

Then I learned even the corduroy had been re done as well. Plastic rosettes that finish off the head rests insertion to the seats were missing and broken. All the webbing was in fact original but was so tired it could not be re-used. One head rest foam was much denser than the other as well. confused24.gif

When I got home I began to really understand the differences in the seat frames.
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
First I had to figure out which seat configuration I had was correct, so did a lot of research and determined that the slightly tilted head rest was correct as opposed to straight up head rest version.

Click to view attachment

I then began cutting one seat apart with a saws-all. Measurements revealed the straight up seat was narrower at the top and the shape for the back was thinner from a template I made.
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
The seat shapes really were different in several places. Backs slightly different and now the head rests are the same angle! biggrin.gif
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
I cleaned up the rust and hit them with Por15 silver.

Far cry from where I thought I would be, just bolting them in, not too long after receiving and repairing them.

I was telling Lawrence (larmo63) who has some nice Scheel seats about what I found on mine after buying them and he said that back in the day a lot of seats were sold individually, and a lot of times only the driver was a Scheel leaving the passenger stock.

If that were the case here, then likely someone took two seats and had them recovered to look like they were a pair, many years ago. Both frames were Scheel all right, but possibly many years apart or they just didn’t pay too much attention to having them look exactly the same. confused24.gif

A good lesson in buying by picture. As a friend of mine once said: “the camera doesn’t catch what the eye can”. Had I seen these seats in person I likely would not have bought them. All I saw was what looked to be original looking seats. I got caught up in the excitement.

Drove the frames and material up to the upholsterer last Monday. I know they will look great when he’s done.
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Toy
Bummer. Judging by your words, you have a remarkable cheerful attitude which will propel you out of this disappointment beerchug.gif
raynekat
Good on you to correct the issues with these seats.
In the end, you'll have a pair of "matching" seats that will look wonderful in your car.
Lots of times it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back in these builds.
Keep your head down and keep moving ahead.
It will be killer in the end.
mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 1 2018, 04:15 PM) *

In the end, you'll have a pair of "matching" seats that will look wonderful in your car.

agree.gif Now they will look perfect.
ValcoOscar
Sorry about your latest seat challenge Jim but you've proven that you can fix practicality anything. March on my friend...can't wait to meet up soon.

Awaiting your next driving video!!!

piratenanner.gif

Oscar
porschetub
Bummer about the seats Jim, agree.gif they could have been made years apart hence the difference,can you still get the needle corduroy for the inners ? .
Re: the oil level I had a similar issue but in reverse..PMS filler and stock tank,appears they don't match,I calculated I would need around 12 litres to reach halfway on the dipstick which is too much for my engine (no front cooler) so adjusted the filler neck to bring it closer to the tank ,did an oil change and added 9.5 litres and marked the dipstick ,finally I know where I am.
Car looks great and seems to be getting attention biggrin.gif .
Cairo94507
Sorry to see what you had to go through with your seats. In doing a build it seems we all have to just keep our eye on the windshield and out of the rear view mirror. Stay as positive as possible. Those seats are going to look absolutely amazing once finished and every time you sit in them you will love them. beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 1 2018, 05:10 PM) *

Bummer about the seats Jim, agree.gif they could have been made years apart hence the difference,can you still get the needle corduroy for the inners ? .
Re: the oil level I had a similar issue but in reverse..PMS filler and stock tank,appears they don't match,I calculated I would need around 12 litres to reach halfway on the dipstick which is too much for my engine (no front cooler) so adjusted the filler neck to bring it closer to the tank ,did an oil change and added 9.5 litres and marked the dipstick ,finally I know where I am.
Car looks great and seems to be getting attention biggrin.gif .

I got as close as I could find on the corduroy after a month and a half of searching.

I pursued many avenues trying to find “correct” corduroy which at one point was starting to look unobtainable. headbang.gif

Called, searched, type.gif , drove, and after numerous phone calls and samples gathered from around the country, even communicating with a place in Germany. I received the material I chose from these shown here.
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

This is what I thought was closest from SMS to what was believed to be "original". It is a nice heavier weight fabric. I did not like the foam backed one from Autos International and it was THE most expensive. My upholstery guy could have gotten that one too but he knows it is not as correct as what I found. The AASE one was close too with the ribbing as well, but you can see it also came from Germany and was lighter weight but out of stock. SMS has terrible yelp ratings but I did well with them even shipping sooner than they promised. I would recommend them. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(914Toy @ May 1 2018, 12:51 PM) *

Bummer. Judging by your words, you have a remarkable cheerful attitude which will propel you out of this disappointment beerchug.gif

Thanks Keith
Make no mistake, I am not happy about it, just trying stay positive, make the best of it and move forward. Kind of a bitter pill to swallow. As I tried to lay out, it seemed rather simple to fix initially, but then just kept getting deeper as we went along.
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 1 2018, 01:15 PM) *

Thanks for weighing in!
Yes, on the positive side I was able to cut and shape them myself to look identical, so I am thankful for that. beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 1 2018, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ May 1 2018, 04:15 PM) *

agree.gif Now they will look perfect.

Thanks Mark!
The upholstery shop, Escondido Custom Upholstery, is fairly close to me, like 15 minutes away, and the owner, Oscar does amazing work! I believe, based on everything I have seen of his, they will in deed be perfect! He has just started and they should be hopefully done next week.
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 1 2018, 01:37 PM) *

Sorry about your latest seat challenge Jim but you've proven that you can fix practicality anything. March on my friend...can't wait to meet up soon.

Awaiting your next driving video!!!

piratenanner.gif

Oscar

Too funny! biggrin.gif "fix practically anything"
I have been fortunate in that regard but Jeeze do I have to fix everything? lol-2.gif

I hope to make it to San Clemente in the not too distant future. Next few weekends are tied up but I'm at least thinking about it now for real now.
Also hope to get a few San Diego 914'ers to make it to one of the monthly PCASD Cars & Coffee too!

My driving Video buddy is hard to nail down, but I'm working on it for sure.
Looked like the Route 66 was a great time for all. Nice trailer!
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 1 2018, 05:19 PM) *

Sorry to see what you had to go through with your seats. In doing a build it seems we all have to just keep our eye on the windshield and out of the rear view mirror. Stay as positive as possible. Those seats are going to look absolutely amazing once finished and every time you sit in them you will love them. beerchug.gif

Michael,
Thanks, but compared to your car this is just child's play.
I do appreciate you checking though and I see more great progress has been made on your car lately too! beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
whitetwinturbo
.........here's to the guy who sold you a "bill of goods" ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
moparrob
Man, you are a STUD!

Your level of detail keeps me constantly envious. Can't wait to plant my butt in those new seats for my test drive. beerchug.gif
defianty
I can only imagine the pain when you realised the seats weren't as good as you'd hoped. Despite the additional costs, these seats are going to be perfect once completed and you'll have pride in knowing you had a hand in making them so. Nice one Jim.

Great seats too, I'd love them in my car!
Lucky9146
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 1 2018, 07:40 PM) *

.........here's to the guy who sold you a "bill of goods" ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

Karma smile.gif
white914.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.