Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 16 2018, 08:18 PM) *

I should have warned you about the smaller bolts to hold the tracks onto the bottom of the seats.

I had to use washers to shim because the vinyl was impeding the seats' ability to slide back and forth.

That's Ok! That is only part of what I have been messing with the last 2 days, in addition to what I mentioned a couple post's back about fitting the driver seat tracks.
I appreciate the thought though! Thanks! beerchug.gif

I have not been able to do much on the passenger seat today but it is actually more than the vinyl that influences the tracks, it is that the webbing attachments on the bottoms of the seats is in the way requiring washers, or I just might have modified my tracks a bit to accommodate. biggrin.gif They were already horsed up anyway. Plus I am adding Mikey914 seat adjuster handles.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 16 2018, 04:34 AM) *

Wow, my dream seats, Congrats.... smile.gif

I liked "my dream seats" and thank you. smile.gif
To be honest I did not think I would ever end up with these myself!
Right after I bought the car I found a really nice set of Corbeau seats (that will hopefully soon be for sale).
Then I picked up a set of very nice stock seats at a swap meet a few years back.

Remember, you only live once! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 16 2018, 04:20 PM) *

Drop dead gorgeous seats.

Thanks! Couldn't be happier!

And your paint job came out beautiful! first.gif Great progress! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 16 2018, 01:16 PM) *

Damn they look good! It's amazing what a difference the seats make in the driving experience beerchug.gif
Looks like we might have to set up a local back roads drive here pretty soon! driving.gif

Yes they do and I couldn't be happier! Thanks for weighing in Eric and yes we need to meet up some time, I'll PM you.

The seats are IN! smile.gif Finally! Going for a nice driving.gif tomorrow!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
Those seats turned out excellent!
Lucky9146
I noted earlier in a post that one of the issues yet to be addressed was the erratic fuel guage, likely meaning the sending unit was faulty. Did a bunch of reading on the subject and looked at as many pictures as I could find and decided to tackle it today being as I ran out of gas last week headbang.gif

Took it out and then took off the bottom end and there was a wad of brown paper? cardboard? something? stuck at the end. I figure this is not normal and so I thought I would ask here WTF.gif
Was there something there that is now disintegrated? Was this an added piece of something by a previous owner? It seemed to be wrapped around one wire but really just kind of stuck there at the bottom. idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Tested the float and it in fact will float. Wires looked OK and I read some folks cleaned them with laquer thinner, so I did that too. Copper one looks a bit crooked in places but the float does go up and down with no problem.

Thanks, can't wait to hear!
driving.gif white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
moparrob
I think you have now officially had your hand in/on each and every component that makes up that car. headbang.gif

Frustrating for sure but that car is going to be EXTREMELY reliable and fun to drive for many years. beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 20 2018, 03:07 PM) *

I think you have now officially had your hand in/on each and every component that makes up that car. headbang.gif

Frustrating for sure but that car is going to be EXTREMELY reliable and fun to drive for many years. beerchug.gif

There are, believe it or not, a few things I have not touched yet. Looking at this junk that was in the sender, it seems as though I need to. av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

I heard back through PM's that the debris I found was nothing they had ever seen before. Based on everything I see, the wires being in tack, and good movement of the float, I will reinstall for further evaluation. Tank is full and guage reads full.

In the mean time I finally remembered to install the steering rack cover I had restored a while back which which I got from Bruce Stone.
Nicely finishes off the bottom of the car. Enjoying the hell out of having my lift! smile.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Today I decided to install the stock steering wheel I had bought a while back, and then in January had leather wrapped by Oscar (same guy that did my seats and how I met him).
Received the horn ring from mepstein last week! Thanks Mark! beerchug.gif The missing piece I needed.

Click to view attachment

Had the Momo previously (came with the car) which is smaller diameter plus thicker hand grip. The turn signal did not cancel with the Momo so I thought it would work now with the part I got from Mark. Not! Everything looks right idea.gif but something isn't... headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Since I have been driving the car with the smaller diameter Momo I now have another problem.
The larger diameter stock wheel plus the seat bottom difference of coming forward more and upward more than the original seat, then add corduroy, makes getting in and out a little more of a challenge. Didn't see that one coming. biggrin.gif
Jury is still out and I will do more seat time to see if I can get used to the stock wheel.
Seats are awesome though! Great drive today. smile.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Well, if you have to get rid of that leather wrapped stock wheel, I suppose I could do you a favor...
jd74914
Those seats look awesome!!
Lucky9146
QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 23 2018, 11:00 AM) *

Those seats look awesome!!

Thanks Jim and as Eric9144 recently said in a post "it's amazing what a difference the seats make in the driving experience" Couldn't agree more! beerchug.gif
Driving yesterday felt more like a go cart than ever! smile.gif

I see your avitar of the perfect gaps by your headlight. I am going to aspire to that example and based on the hour or two I spent the other day, that look is not something quickly achieved. Thanks for weighing in.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 22 2018, 07:46 PM) *

Well, if you have to get rid of that leather wrapped stock wheel, I suppose I could do you a favor...

Your compassion does not go unnoticed and I truly appreciate the offer. You sir are a true problem solver! People like you are few and far between, you see a situation and immediately come to the rescue. av-943.gif

Seriously, if I decide to list it F/S, I mean "get rid of" I will contact you first! beerchug.gif

Thanks for the post! Made my day!
driving.gif white914.jpg
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ May 23 2018, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 22 2018, 07:46 PM) *

Your compassion does not go unnoticed and I truly appreciate the offer. You sir are a true problem solver! People like you are few and far between, you see a situation and immediately come to the rescue. av-943.gif

Seriously, if I decide to list it F/S, I mean "get rid of" I will contact you first! beerchug.gif

Thanks for the post! Made my day!
driving.gif white914.jpg

I am told that selflessness is one of my most redeeming qualities.

Well, I've never actually been told that, but I imagine that someone has thought it sometime in the past. happy11.gif
defianty
I was just browsing Instagram and came across this lovely Light Ivory GT. And then I realized - that's Jim's car! Looks fantastic Jim, hope you enjoyed the run out.

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Stephen, thank you! How cool is that! Talk about a small world.
I have no idea how that works with Instagram but I think it amazing that you saw that picture over in the UK taken just this morning! idea.gif Before I even got a chance to get my pics off my camera! Wow!!! beerchug.gif

I took one almost exactly the same and a few others as well. Great turn out and........
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I met Eric9144 who lives near by with his very nice original paint silver 1974 2.0 smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Damn, your cars BOTH look great!!!!!
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 28 2018, 09:30 AM) *

Damn, your cars BOTH look great!!!!!

I'll say thank you for both of us!
And I have to mention that there is nothing like an original paint car like his. Eric has made some nice tasteful changes but he keeps his options open with the ability to revert back to stock. For instance his Konig seats which look amazingly like Scheeel seats BTW. He still has the originals if he wanted to go back. His paint has some "patina" but who cares.

Mine on the other hand is so far from original it isn't even funny but Eric did like my center pull hand brake, smile.gif
Fun day! And my car is running great! Still breaking in the motor and exploring higher RPM's So fun to drive!
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Decided to try to improve the gaps around the headlights over the weekend. I can't imagine anyone enjoying this fun task. Spent several hours on it and all I can report is that they are closer than they were. Weird shit happens when you mess with trying to adjust them. They may never be perfect!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
eric9144
I finally got to meet Jim and the car this past Sunday and I think he's living up to the moniker on both ends--Lucky9146--the car couldn't be in better hands and Jim was clearly the guy meant to be it's steward. Its really, really nice to see the product of all of his hard, meticulous work and damn does it look and sound amazing!

Love a great GT tribute and this really checks the boxes! beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
Had the opportunity yesterday to go to the Peterson Museum again as an invitation by a friend who knew they had a two day Grand Reopening of the Vault. 60,000 sq ft, 250 vehicles. The ONLY 2 days pictures in the vault were allowed. I took lots but the lighting was horrible. barf.gif

Overall it was ok. No ropes but if cars were parked next to each other you could not walk between them, making viewing some impossible. They enforced this rule vigorously I can report.
We arrived a little late for out 75 minute tour so we had less time to look, but it was enough. BTW it was $75 for this privilage sad.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The Porsche Experience runs through Jan 2019 so I had a chance to see those cars again and took many more and better detailed pics there. Had not noticed this post my last visit with every model....

Click to view attachment

I am hard pressed to explain why they parked this big ole Mercedes smack in the middle of the Porsches confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
moparrob
Very nice. What is the story on the black 914-6 GT?
Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 31 2018, 09:26 PM) *

Very nice. What is the story on the black 914-6 GT?

Sadly I did not get a story on it . With only 2 914's in the whole place you would think I would have done a better job eh. biggrin.gif We got really stuck in LA traffic and were late, they were less than caring, we just did the best we could. The deal was you paid for a time slot and that was that. Did not really get to ask many questions just see as much as possible. They had docents but I could see once engaged they were hard to shake.

Below is the only other pic I got of that 914 and it sure would have been nice to have plaques by the cars like they do upstairs that tell you about the cars. Also, like I said if cars were parked next to each other you were not allowed to walk in between them to get a better look. Upstairs I took a pic of every plaque of each car I shot.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
moparrob
The reason I ask is that it has a 916 style front bumper and lower valance so I was wondering if the car had some special provenance or if it was just a tribute car.
TravisNeff
71 916 #1

more info on the other board http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=437219
defianty
Jim are you running 16x7 and 8's on your car? That's what I've got. Can you let me know what tire sizes are you using please?
moparrob
Click to view attachment

Holy crap! I did not realize the car was that significant. A 916 - and #1 to boot.

I wonder how it ended up at the Petersen?
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 1 2018, 10:57 PM) *

71 916 #1

more info on the other board http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=437219

Travis thanks so much for contributing! I had no idea either. Wish it was not crammed in like it was so I could have gotten some better pics.
Really amazing car and 916#1!
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(defianty @ Jun 2 2018, 09:13 AM) *

Jim are you running 16x7 and 8's on your car? That's what I've got. Can you let me know what tire sizes are you using please?

Yes sir 16X7 and 8's beerchug.gif
Tires:
205X55 Front
225X50 Rear

driving.gif white914.jpg

dr914@autoatlanta.com
We are making the rounds with it, first it was at Amelia, then the Porsche museum here in Atlanta and now the Peterson. We hope to get a segment on Jay Leno Garage then the SEMA show in november

QUOTE(moparrob @ Jun 2 2018, 09:44 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Holy crap! I did not realize the car was that significant. A 916 - and #1 to boot.

I wonder how it ended up at the Petersen?
moparrob
Do you know which vendor's booth you will be in at SEMA?
defianty
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jun 2 2018, 06:57 PM) *

Yes sir 16X7 and 8's beerchug.gif
Tires:
205X55 Front
225X50 Rear

driving.gif white914.jpg

beerchug.gif
daytona
Yes dr914, which booth are you going to be at SEMA? My company exhibits at SEMA every year. There are a lot of cool cars to look at but never a 914.
Bill.
Lucky9146
Yesterday morning I woke to the sunniest morning in a while and that meant the white914.jpg had to hit the road! driving.gif Enjoyed a beautiful ride over, with just a few twistys along the way, to a local cars and coffee.
My wife joined me so that made it all the better. smlove2.gif
The 914 received a lot of interest and complements. chatsmiley.gif first.gif mine being the only 914. beerchug.gif but many very nice Porsches were in attendance.
Yeah, that's an F40 up there ahead in the first pics all right. (F40 got a lot more attention biggrin.gif)
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Anybody using the Rennline Quick Disconnect on their steering wheel? Looking for input.
Thinking this is something that would solve a few problems but not cheap.
1.) Steering wheel seems too far away, this would bring it 2.3" closer.
2.) Would make entry and exit of vehicle easier.
3.) Slick anti-theft devise

Does create one problem though, they have no provision for horn, so would have to figure something out.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

moparrob
Back in the day when the horn was broken we used to extend the middle finger to signal our intentions.

lol-2.gif
Lucky9146
As a response from previous requests I was able to get a driving video today (link below).
Beautiful day in sunny southern California! Fun!
Best part was I didn't know he was shooting it at first. lol-2.gif
Darn lights wouldn't cooperate though.
Hope the sound is good.
white914.jpg driving.gif

https://youtu.be/a7eXwdeXHfY
Lucky9146
Took the opportunity to attend the local San Diego Porsche Dealer 70th Year Celebration.
First freeway run over there and my wife didn't like being so low. I thought it was great!
Arrived early and scored this prime location to represent 914's and was the only one in attendance until later in the event as I was leaving, Margie Haas arrived in her 6.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
As the day progressed and the parking kept filling up the parking coordinator had me move it down to keep it on the end. I thought that was very cool!
Right next to the German Band. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
San Diego has 2 major Dealerships and the other one, Hoehn was not as highly attended per a friend who attended both. There were Porsches in every direction here and it filled to double parking. They had Beer great German food! beerchug.gif beer3.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
I really enjoyed answering questions and showing the 914. Great Day! Especially so with having attended a Cars and Coffee earlier in the morning with the 914 and having my buddy do the driving video I posted last night. See Post #737.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
its been a long time since the 914 has been a driver,,great to see it under its own power,,without the red rollbar.. driving.gif
moparrob
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 10 2018, 09:35 AM) *

its been a long time since the 914 has been a driver,,great to see it under its own power,,without the red rollbar.. driving.gif

I second that! Looking good.
Maltese Falcon
...some red roll bars work well with black narrow bodies !
My Dad would rock your White gt/ red roll bar; every car he ordered since 1948 was White/ red biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 10 2018, 09:35 AM) *

Thanks, it is a blast to drive! Yes like maybe 23 years off the road! Mopar Rob might know how long since driven.

I never cared for the red roll bar so I had it powder coated black and who knows if it will ever get installed again.
Shot from "back in the day" when Roland had the car, circa 1995 I believe. I remember you saying you saw it back then. Same beautiful paint today.
Thanks for weighing in. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 10 2018, 05:44 PM) *

...some red roll bars work well with black narrow bodies !
My Dad would rock your White gt/ red roll bar; every car he ordered since 1948 was White/ red biggrin.gif Click to view attachment

Marty, that black car does look good! beerchug.gif To your Dad!
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
A couple weeks ago I met Eric9144 at the PCA San Diego Region Cars & Coffee. We looked at his car extensively and in his rear trunk was a rear trunk deck lid protective cover hand made by Garold Schaffer's mother. I had read that Garold's mother was not doing well and pretty sure she was no longer sewing but I contacted him to see if per chance he had any left to sell, and he did not. Best wishes Garold and family.

I reached out to Eric9144 and asked if we could borrow his to use as a pattern and he stopped by this weekend to drop it off. My wife has been sewing forever, so hopefully I will have one soon. smile.gif EDIT add... If things go well maybe I can get her to make more if there is any interest.

Pictured below is Eric9144's cover made by Garold's mother on my car. beerchug.gif
Thanks Eric9144
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Wishing my 914 a Happy Birthday #44! birthday3.gif

I'm sure it sounds strange but I just happened to go through the owners manual yesterday and came to the realization that it was sold new, 44 years ago and a week, on 6-12-74.

California car originally sold at Carlsen Porsche Audi in Palo Alto, CA with 21 miles. Although I have no other actual early history of the car I captured a picture of a stock 914 that I can use to imagine it when new. When I look at my car today though it does not seem to be 44 years old at all.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Picture of my 914 as I can only imagine it looked like new (Actually a picture of a '73 owned by flat4guy) but close enough. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Mine at a recent Cars & Coffee

Click to view attachment
moparrob
Amazing what a little cosmetic surgery did for the old girl.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ Jun 19 2018, 07:00 PM) *

Amazing what a little cosmetic surgery did for the old girl.

This pictures below are the earliest I have been able to obtain from the owner prior to you. Circa 1995. While the GT conversion body work (cosmetic surgery) and the majority of assembly was done by Eurotech Bodyworks in Kirkland WA., Roland had a hand in some finishing touches at his home in the driveway pictured here. I have contacted Mark at Eurotech, and although he remembers Roland, he had no records, or more importantly pictures of the work done under his care in 1995. No surprise but was worth a shot.

Communication has unfortunately dried up from Roland since early this year. I enjoy history and will continue to try to learn more about the car and share. One thing I do have is spread sheet records showing where stuff was bought, for how much, and when. It looks as though almost every part on the car was replaced and bought new and many from Porsche, like the receipt I have for the factory steel flares.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Precarious cart the car was on! Can't imagine shoving that in and out of the garage
Wonder where them red horns went? confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.