Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ Jul 21 2018, 09:53 PM) *

Hey Jim, for the guy (and the car) that has everything:

914 Factory Headlight Washer System (#34565)
Published: 07/21/2018
$2,500

OEM Headlight Washer System 1970-74 914. Many of the parts are no longer available new and are extremely rare. Included are NOS bumper top, NOS (not tested) pump, NOS (I believe) washer jets, a new (911) switch, NOS reservoir with new cap, NOS relay, new clear tubing, used 944 wiring harness, and used onnector parts. Price reflects completeness of kit, rarity and condition
Winnipeg, MB R3N1M2
Canada

found on PCA website

Wow, that is an amazing kit, but as you can well imagine I have invested a bunch into my car already. That has got to be an extremely rare find for sure, and someone with a concourse car should probably have it. Hope it finds a good home with someone here on the World. Thanks for thinking of me! Just a few more things and I should have my car completed. Or are they ever completely done! av-943.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Well they FINALLY arrived!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
And just installed cheer.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Dion
That’s one very cool plate.
Maltese Falcon
thumb3d.gif shades.gif thumb3d.gif
moparrob
Awesome!
defianty
Awesome!
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 1 2018, 07:25 PM) *

That’s one very cool plate.

Thanks Dion, Marty, Moparrob, and Stephen, it was a long time a coming! 18 weeks total! barf.gif All the time I was worried that it might get rejected. idea.gif

I mentioned to the DMV person when picking it up that it took a lot longer than the 8-12 weeks. She said you know why it took so long don't you? I said no why and she pointed to these words on the bottom of the envelope. blink.gif smash.gif

I guess good things come to those who wait.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Perfect! beerchug.gif
moparrob
Well, it appears they function as well as the rest of the state of California employees do.

lol-2.gif
Lucky9146
Got my first chance to show off my new license plate Friday at Cruisin' Grand German night in Escondido. They dedicate one night during the summer to German cars. I posted a separate thread here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=332153

If you have not seen that thread check it out as 914's were well represented!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
shades.gif ...cool
Lucky9146
Was on vacation in Michigan and heard of a Cars and Coffee preceding the 40th Annual Concours d'Elegance Of America at the St John's Inn which is in Plymouth Michigan. They were recognizing the Porsche 70th Anniversary. I had reached out to a 914 guy here on World, TJB/914, hoping to meet someone in Mich with a 914 while there. Although Tom was not available during my visit I did take his advice and tried to see what I could relative to this event.

Time did not permit my attending the actual concours, but the Cars and Coffee proceeding was right up my alley. I headed over fairly early July 28th and found a huge turnout, that I later learned was about 800 cars, the most they ever had, and it was amazing. Everything imaginable there with lots of Ferrari's, Ford GT's, a zillion Corvettes. just tons of really nice cars. There were lots of Porsche's too but sadly not a single 914 to be found.

I did find a mid engine Porsche though that they were in the process of unloading just as I walked up. Only 29 of these Porsche 910's were produced! I didn't know much about them, but soon learned.

Shout out to Tom TJB/914 thanks for the tip! Had a great time! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
moparrob
Any chance it was one of the uber rare 8 cylinder variants?

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Have been monitoring an oil leak from the engine for some time and this past weekend I came to understand it better.
I have a problem with the 16 AN hose between the tank and cooler, and it is leaking in 2 places. confused24.gif
It's not that it isn't tight, it is, but it is fitting itself is actually seeping, the one by the oil tank, and also appears to be seeping where the braided hose goes into the fitting as shown.
(photo shown is old and the ty-wraps holding heat shield have been replaced with safety wire)

Click to view attachment

But what I discovered next instantly became a top priority to fix. The support bracket holding the outer end of the oil cooler inlet tube next to where the large AN fitting had been attached had cracked and the inlet tube was loose. This then puts the strain on the inlet tube just before it enters the engine. We all know what happens if that inlet tube were to break while driving.
It becomes a priority because I have purchased laps at Laguna Seca at Renn6
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
Thinking the worst that the engine had to come out. I did a lot of searching to learn what I could. Of course I found new coolers for $1275 but then I finally found a thread right here on World that Rich Johnson had posted in 2003 with info on 914-6 parts and a picture of what he did with coolers to convert to 914-6 type. Contacted him by e-mail and immediately heard back!

This is what it will look like when he is done. Man, I love this site!

Click to view attachment

The setup I had put the big 16 AN fitting very close to the suspension.

Click to view attachment

and his will position the inlet the same as a real 6 cooler
Click to view attachment

Removed the cooler, without having to drop the engine, yesterday and shipped to Rich. He vowed to jump right on it and return because I will need to make a new flex line due to change of location of the inlet and to resolve my leaking hose.
Rich is a great guy to deal with! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
defianty
The modified cooler looks great Jim. If only Rich was closer I'd send mine off to him. I'm yet to find anyone in the UK that will take on the job of modifying my 911 cooler.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 22 2018, 12:30 PM) *

The modified cooler looks great Jim. If only Rich was closer I'd send mine off to him. I'm yet to find anyone in the UK that will take on the job of modifying my 911 cooler.

All I can say is have it done by someone who knows what they are doing. Not sure who did mine as it came done with the project and had an ugly weld. I installed it anyway not understanding the weak point. Rich makes a very robust fix, replacing the tube and fitting plus serious mounting flange for reasonable $$. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
mepstein
QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 22 2018, 03:30 PM) *

I just sent 4 shocks and a set of springs to the UK through a shipping company called parcelmonkey.com check them or a similar company. Shipping might be a lot less than you expect.
mb911
Looks really nice. I talk with Rich every once and a while. Known him virtually for year and we do business back and forth. He's a good guy.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 22 2018, 09:44 PM) *

Looks really nice. I talk with Rich every once and a while. Known him virtually for year and we do business back and forth. He's a good guy.

Same here. We haven’t met in person but have been trading parts for a couple years. His 914-6 throttle linkage is excellent.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 22 2018, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 22 2018, 09:44 PM) *

Same here. We haven’t met in person but have been trading parts for a couple years. His 914-6 throttle linkage is excellent.

I have his 6 conversion mount, nice part! Just got to know him through this experience and he has been great to work with. Really willing to help. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Larmo63
I had Rich do my oil cooler too, and I'm using his carb/accelerator cable set up.

Good guy!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Lucky9146
Heard from Rich Johnson while I was in Monterey that upon receiving my cooler for repair, it turns out it is from a 1973 911 T and not suited for a 3.0. It is better for a 2.4 or 2.7. He said the main boss that he machines to install the new tube does not have enough meat to machine for the larger diameter tube. I am now getting a reworked welder.gif correct cooler from Rich this coming week. piratenanner.gif
He made me a deal I couldn't refuse. beerchug.gif The cooler I had on the engine he said was likely restricting oil to the pump because the 3.0 has the larger oil pump. dry.gif

I firmly believe all things happen for a reason and my leaking hose, leading me to look and find the cracked weld on the cooler, now wrong cooler, potentially saved my excellent running engine from oil starvation. I guess I really am lucky. smile.gif Shame on me for not having caught this and thoroughly vetting my cooler.
Pictures of Rich's cooler when it arrives.
driving.gif white914.jpg
914forme
That is great news why always having knowledgeable extra eyes are worth their price.
live free & drive
So does this mean that if you are using, or intending to use, an original 914/6 oil cooler on a 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 displacement engine you are starving it for oil supply?

Seems like many folks use an original 914/6 cooler - I've never heard about this issue before, anybody else have some knowledge about this?
a914guy
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Aug 26 2018, 02:09 PM) *

So does this mean that if you are using, or intending to use, an original 914/6 oil cooler on a 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 displacement engine you are starving it for oil supply?

Seems like many folks use an original 914/6 cooler - I've never heard about this issue before, anybody else have some knowledge about this?

The cooling system design was changed by Porsche as temp. issues were becoming prevalent and the oil pumps became better (higher volume). One of the small changes was the supply side oil cooler tube diameter going from a 20ish OD to about 28mm.

I wouldn't say the smaller stock inlet line from an original six cooler would "starve" an engine but it was designed and changed for a reason.

As for using six coolers on bigger engines and in our conversion community, I bet it's a rarity.
live free & drive
Thanks for the feedback.

I'd say it fairly significant with about 100% more cross sectional area!
Lucky9146
Got my new oil cooler from Rich Johnson and it looks amazing! beerchug.gif Thanks Rich!!
The difference in size of the tube he installs is obvious. A real shame the cooler I had did not have enough real estate to accommodate the larger tube. My repaired cooler on the left and new one on the right. smile.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Back a few posts was a picture of the cracked bracket on my cooler, in case you're just tuning in. barf.gif Also where I learned I should have a larger delivery tube on the cooler.

Click to view attachment

Received the cooler at 1:30 PM FedEx, had my hose remade and cooler installed by 8 PM.

Click to view attachment

My goal was to get the cooler back in time Friday to make it to the hose shop before it closed and get it all reinstalled to attend the San Diego PCA Concours the next morning. Just a spectator but the turn out was fantastic!

Click to view attachment

I was there to cheer on my buddy Toolguy and his son Matt, who not only won his class, but BEST OF Show! first.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment
pete000
You were able to replace the cooler with the engine in the car? Don't you have to remove the upper fan shroud to do that?

Larmo63
If you have the 'sectioned' oil cooler shroud, you can unscrew that and access everything from the bottom.

It's not simple, but doable.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 9 2018, 09:31 PM) *

You were able to replace the cooler with the engine in the car? Don't you have to remove the upper fan shroud to do that?

Exactly what I first thought, is that I had to drop the engine, but then I realized that it looked like it was possible and No, I did not have to remove the upper fan shroud.
Had to remove the left side sheet metal and the gray plastic air director on top of the cooler. Both a bugger.

I found a picture below from before the original engine install showing the 2 parts. Was not easy to get them off and on, but it can be done with patience. Thanks for asking.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Oil cooler reinstalled and leaking oil line are now behind me.

Next up is build a 916 transmission. driving.gif

Step one completed. Found a rebuilt 1984 915 trans with all new syncros and resealed from a shop in northern CA. cheer.gif

Step two completed. Martin Bott 916 kit on order. cheer.gif

I see this as a longer term project because there are several hurdles I know. Hope to get some guidance from Steve who has this set up. pray.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

pete000
My early six has that grey cooler shroud riveted on. I think my cooler replacement is going to require the engine drop...Don't want to drill out the OE rivets...

defianty
That's going to be a great upgrade Jim! Look forward to following you progress with it.
porschetub
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 10 2018, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 9 2018, 09:31 PM) *

Exactly what I first thought, is that I had to drop the engine, but then I realized that it looked like it was possible and No, I did not have to remove the upper fan shroud.
Had to remove the left side sheet metal and the gray plastic air director on top of the cooler. Both a bugger.

I found a picture below from before the original engine install showing the 2 parts. Was not easy to get them off and on, but it can be done with patience. Thanks for asking.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

I did my replacement with engine in,wasn't too bad just takes a while to get to it, interesting point Rich made about the coolers ...I didn't know that,my replacement was a latter one and seemed to be different other than the inlet pipe as I had a gap @ the cooling duct I never had with the original one.
I wasn't happy and thought I could be down on air flow for that reason, I fitted a piece of high temp rubber in the gap,worked out fine and certainly nice to have a large oil leak fixed also biggrin.gif .
mepstein
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 12 2018, 04:24 PM) *

Oil cooler reinstalled and leaking oil line are now behind me.

Next up is build a 916 transmission. driving.gif

Step one completed. Found a rebuilt 1984 915 trans with all new syncros and resealed from a shop in northern CA. cheer.gif

Step two completed. Martin Bott 916 kit on order. cheer.gif

I see this as a longer term project because there are several hurdles I know. Hope to get some guidance from Steve who has this set up. pray.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

wow. you are going all in. driving.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 12 2018, 01:37 PM) *

My early six has that grey cooler shroud riveted on. I think my cooler replacement is going to require the engine drop...Don't want to drill out the OE rivets...

Yes I do believe I lucked out with my shroud being a 3.0 and not riveted. Dropping the engine to change an oil cooler would seem a poor design in the bigger scheme of things. I can certainly understand not wanting to drill rivets in your case.
This chart of shrouds has been posted before by others but it clearly shows many have riveted cooler shrouds.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(defianty @ Sep 12 2018, 01:44 PM) *

That's going to be a great upgrade Jim! Look forward to following you progress with it.

Thanks! I am pretty excited about it but fully realize there will be some surprises and expense involved. Like I said, I see it as a long term project. Finding a decent 915 trans was in my opinion the hard part but I suspect there will be many more hard parts. Have a pretty good idea of what's involved but then again the devil is in the detail.
Hope your paint job is progressing well. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
defianty
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 13 2018, 03:10 PM) *

Hope your paint job is progressing well. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

I'm going to see it at the weekend, where I expect to see the underside of car blasted too. The painter had another project that he was finishing off so mine has been waiting. It's what I expected though.
Lucky9146
Visited Eric Shea at PMB Performance today in SLC. Great guy!

I just paid a visit to my older brother who has lived in SLC for over 30 years. I have always said "next time I make it up the SLC I have to stop in and see Eric Shea". My brother, who is not a car guy, agreed to go to Eric's shop which as it turns out is only 3.4 miles from my brothers house! In the end he really enjoyed going and meeting Eric who as it turns out had worked with my brothers son for many years. Small world!

When we arrived, Eric was in the process packaging up a set of brake lines. It looked like 8 sets of calipers were also ready to go. Eric took the time to tell us all about his business, how it all got started, show us around, while being very gracious with his time.

With my next project being 915/916 trans, it looks like the timing was perfect and Eric and I will be talking more about the axles I will need.

Eric is out growing his shop and has a 5 year back log for restorations with two 914's in process. I really loved his current shop though, cramped yes, but a real shop that work is actually getting done in, functional looking, and he has a great bunch of guys there as well. Thanks Eric beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Look what showed up yesterday from Germany! cheer.gif

Martin Bott came through with his beautiful 916 kit! beerchug.gif

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
seanery
after 15 years, I'm still looking for the "LIKE" button!

Damn, can't wait to see your 916 conversion goes. That's in the cards for me, as well.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 17 2018, 05:54 AM) *

Damn, can't wait to see your 916 conversion goes. That's in the cards for me, as well.

It is a major decision for sure to go this route and the hardest part, in my opinion, was finding the 915 trans. Its seems to be getting harder and harder to find good ones and later ones with the most improvements is the challenge. I have found there is a lot of information out to help there but you still have a lot of decisions to make as well. Fasten your seat belt on cost.
Thanks for looking in and good luck on yours. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Years ago when I was in the infancy stage of looking for my 914, a friend made a copy of an article in the Feb 1972 Road & Track of a 916 for me.

Being as I am now going down the 916 trans route, I found that crappy xerox copy to read up to see what it might say, and in deed it did show the trans gearing!

About a week ago I decided to look on Ebay to see if I could find an original 1972 magazine just to have. The magazine I received was an excellent copy. beerchug.gif

Turns out this is George Hussey's car and he has a thread going on it right now where he is going to show it. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=333370
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 18 2018, 12:57 AM) *

It is a major decision for sure to go this route and the hardest part, in my opinion, was finding the 915 trans. Its seems to be getting harder and harder to find good ones and later ones with the most improvements is the challenge. I have found there is a lot of information out to help there but you still have a lot of decisions to make as well. Fasten your seat belt on cost.
driving.gif white914.jpg

I bought a 72 that needs a rebuild for $900. 2nd gear has chipped teeth but found a good replacement for $100. I will rebuild at the shop so just the cost of seals and hopefully not too many bearings. Just bought 2 more in good condition for 1,800. they were spares and seller sold the car. It's was worth throwing in the corner for that price. .
Dion
Jim I just read this entire thread page 1 to here. What an adventure! Congrats on a beautiful project.
I had to laugh about the 5 reverse gears. Same thing happened to me, a screaming slow 1st gear and pretty quick reverses hehehe. Car is awesome, love the details. So many nice touches. Look forward to seeing the next chapter. Cheers mate!
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 22 2018, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 18 2018, 12:57 AM) *

driving.gif white914.jpg

I bought a 72 that needs a rebuild for $900. 2nd gear has chipped teeth but found a good replacement for $100. I will rebuild at the shop so just the cost of seals and hopefully not too many bearings. Just bought 2 more in good condition for 1,800. they were spares and seller sold the car. It's was worth throwing in the corner for that price. .

Hey Mark congrats on the transmissions, nice score, I think you may have a few more connections than I do idea.gif and I paid more for mine blink.gif but it is a newer one like I wanted and it had all the syncros and a few sliders replaced by a reputable shop. sunglasses.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Dion @ Sep 24 2018, 07:23 PM) *

Jim I just read this entire thread page 1 to here. What an adventure! Congrats on a beautiful project.
I had to laugh about the 5 reverse gears. Same thing happened to me, a screaming slow 1st gear and pretty quick reverses hehehe. Car is awesome, love the details. So many nice touches. Look forward to seeing the next chapter. Cheers mate!

Hey man thanks for doing that! beerchug.gif I have read a few threads as well, it can be a lot of fun. And it sure has been quite the adventure with lots of ups and downs.

Have a buddy in Atlanta who recently joined World and he once told me he read all 542 pages of my thread (there are really only 43) but it seems like it when your done. He now owns 2 914's! Like to believe I played a part in that! cheer.gif

Heading to Renn6 next and hope to get some video on Laguna Seca
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
A lesson in NOT getting in a hurry. Well, I finally got around to restoring those seat sliders.

When my Scheel seats were done, I guess I just couldn't wait to see what they looked like in the car. Taking the stock seats out I transferred the seat base mechanisms over to the Scheels and in they went. The seats looked fantastic and I Just started driving it. driving.gif

Most I am sure did not notice my crappy looking sliders because there is really not much visible, but it sure bugged the hell out of me!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And the after pic. I realize this is a small deal but still, details are important, and I also wanted to point out that I ordered and installed the 914Rubber bushing kit. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.