Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: getting rid of prop valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
Can the brake proportioning valve be removed with the engine in the car?

I want to replace it with a tee since I have S calipers up front and stock rears. I am doing a bunch of brake work and now would be a good time IF i don't have to drop the engine!

hmeeder
Jeff,

Sure can. Did it years ago. Be prepared for brake fluid in your armpits tho!
mightyohm
QUOTE (hmeeder @ Feb 28 2005, 11:50 AM)
Jeff,

Sure can. Did it years ago. Be prepared for brake fluid in your armpits tho!

Thanks!!

Sounds like fun! mueba.gif
john rogers
If you remove the fluid cap, take a piece of plastic bag and some rubber bands and cover the opening tightly, very little fluid will leak out.
lapuwali
Try either completely draining the brake fluid first. If you're really rather not do that, try putting some plastic wrap under the cap on the brake reservior. This doesn't stop the flow of fluid, but does slow it down a bit. You're going to be doing a full bleed afterwards, anyway, so you might as well just drain it first.
campbellcj
IIRC one of the nuts is a beotch to get at, but it can be done. It may help to have an assortment of wrench sizes and shapes. Those little ratcheting box-end wrenches are handy for tight spaces like this.
McMark
Somewhere I got the idea that if you depress the brake pedal a little bit it won't leak out.
Aaron Cox
ive replace a rear hardline with the engine in the car... so ytes.... i think it can be done
mightyohm
Thanks for all the tips. I already have the plastic wrap under the cap AND the pedal blocked 1/4 depressed, so I think I am safe. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.