Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Bits Refurbishment Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
Well I recently got my engine back from Original Customs and clearly my cleaning efforts for the engine bits are going to need better results if they're going to keep up with this lovely engine.

Click to view attachment

My question now is how best to proceed in metal preparation and refinishing the different pieces (media blasting/primer/paints?). Here are some more pics of the parts that will need work.

Engine tins (all look like they were repainted during a previous rebuild in the 1980's)

Click to view attachment

Fan shroud (no paint or rust that I can see here, just super grungy looking)

Click to view attachment

Heat Exchangers (surface rust and old spray paint removal)

Click to view attachment

And lastly the rest of the heater ducting bits (note more previous 'refinishing' efforts in grey that will need to come off along with the surface rust)

Click to view attachment

Any suggestions on prep and refinishing would be a great help before I start looking for local metal refinishing shops. Thanks.
MJHanna
Get all the tin you can think of and powder coat it. Now you'r on the slippery slope don't forget to clean your trans as you see it first when you look under the car. piratenanner.gif
mepstein
Find a commercial powder coater who will give you a "batch" price. Look for them in an industrial park.
wndsnd
Powder coaters will usually do the cleaning and blasting if you get most of the grease off. But they can blast through thin metal and pit the housing if they are not careful. Talk to them to see if they will take care .....

Mark sure does a nice job. Looks great!

stugray
You can strip the engine tins to bare metal using the purple degreaser from Home Depot.
I used it at ~ full strength.

Hardest part is finding a bus tub big enough to hold them.
pete000
Media blast and powder coat.
Larmo63
agree.gif

The only way to go, satin blackā€¦..
ConeDodger
The tins can be powder coated and they will almost always do the blasting for you. Batch price on mine was $125.
The fan housing should be split, blasted, powder coated in clear satin.
Nice engine... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.