Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 valve adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
I did a valve adjust on my 72 bmw for the first time this weekend. It was a lot easier than I expected. Given that the shop I take my 914 has quoted me $1000+ dollars to do this, it got me thinking about whether I could do it myself.

It looks a lot tricker than an inline 4, especially given the lack of room in the engine compartment, and the difficulties I've read about related to whatever style lower valve covers I have.

Is this something I can tackle myself, or am I better off just sucking it up and paying someone who knows exactly what they're doing? If you can't tell, I'm a little hesitant about getting in there and screwing something up.

John
6freak
Its not difficult just time consuming, took me 6 hrs but I went back and double checked everything....just take your time and get the proper tools smile.gif And dont over torgue your NEW valve cover gaskets 8FT LBS IIRC

MikeC
Luke M

Read this first. If you think you can do it then go for it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_adjust.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...valveadjust.htm
6freak
give yourself a few days to let the oil quite dripping once you pull the valve covers, its alot less messy to smile.gif good luck
MikeC
john77
Thanks guys.

Luke - I have Wayne's book, so I'm familiar with the proceedure on a 911. Whole different engine orientation though, so you only need double-jointed not 914 triple-jointed elbows for that one. smile.gif
brant
ouch...
wow.....1K, they don't seem to want the work

we do the race car every weekend.
so about 6x a year
takes 2 hours or so

but granted we have less exhaust and less tin work to get in the way
6freak
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 4 2015, 02:07 PM) *

ouch...
wow.....1K, they don't seem to want the work

we do the race car every weekend.
so about 6x a year
takes 2 hours or so

but granted we have less exhaust and less tin work to get in the way

1K+ is what I was told to!YIKES thats why did it myself on the 2.0...the new 2.4 was done the first time by the motor builder but I will do it from this point on, basically with every oil change

MikeC...
Perry Kiehl Clone
It's a lot easier to do if you take off the heat exchagers
john77
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Aug 4 2015, 03:50 PM) *

It's a lot easier to do if you take off the heat exchagers

I'd need new gaskets for these too then, while I'm in there?
iamchappy
I drop the engine to do this, since i dont put many miles on my car i only do it about every 4 years and i take care of other things when it's out like,, CLEANING.....

I do both backside and front side method and double and even triple check everything..
toolguy
I make it a Two day job,
First day is pull the exchanges as that saves a lot of aggravation, and drain the oil leaving it to drain overnight. . . then pull all the plugs, makes turning it over easier and you'll probably want to check them at the same time anyway. .

Day2 is adjust valves and put the exhaust back together. . Yes you'll need new exchanger and muffler gaskets unless you want to risk an exhaust leak. .

So with 4 valve cover gaskets and complete exhaust gaskets, you'll be right at $90-100 . Then a filter and 10 quarts of oil is another $60. A lot better then the $1000 quote and you know it's done right. . . with the saved $800 take the lady out to dinner, tell her you saved money and she'll be happy also..
john77
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 4 2015, 05:27 PM) *

I drop the engine to do this, since i dont put many miles on my car i only do it about every 4 years and i take care of other things when it's out like,, CLEANING.....

I do both backside and front side method and double and even triple check everything..

My home mechanic skills aren't quite at 'engine drop' level yet smile.gif. If they were I'd probably do exactly that.
john77
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 4 2015, 06:00 PM) *

with the saved $800 take the lady out to dinner, tell her you saved money and she'll be happy also..

biggrin.gif Never a truer word spoken. My girlfriend is actually very supportive of my 'car problem.' Not at all like my ex-wife...

Thanks for the tips. Two days seems like a good way to do it. Are the top valves a pita to adjust given the lack of room in the engine compartment?
iamchappy
You can do it....not kidding you can if you try..

QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 4 2015, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 4 2015, 05:27 PM) *

My home mechanic skills aren't quite at 'engine drop' level yet smile.gif. If they were I'd probably do exactly that.

brant
It's really not this bad

Wurth makes special commercial grade feelers that are perfect and also disposable. They fit wonderfully

also buy a remote starter trigger

I do an oil change. Valve adjust. And head bolt re toque after about every 2 hours of motor run time
toolguy
Top valves are not that difficult. For me the hardest part is turning the engine over. . .
I use a spanner on the alternator, and depress the fan belt on the 'loose' side, turning it gently righty tighty. Hope your flywheel is clearly marked. .
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 4 2015, 06:38 PM) *

If you can do a valve adjust, you can drop the engine. The difficult parts are remembering all of the bits that get disconnected, and supporting the engine while you lower it out of the car.

--DD
brant
Ok....

No need to use the flywheel.
I see why some are spending so long for this.

You guys know about the capt'n krusty valve train article right?
- use a remote starter
-don't waste time pulling the plugs
-neutral/ jack stands/ safety first
-watch the rockers release the valves and adjust accordingly without getting up 20 times.

Hang out in race shops and do this job repetitively... It can become a pretty quick one
6freak
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 4 2015, 08:24 PM) *

Ok....

No need to use the flywheel.
I see why some are spending so long for this.

You guys know about the capt'n krusty valve train article right?
- use a remote starter
-don't waste time pulling the plugs
-neutral/ jack stands/ safety first
-watch the rockers release the valves and adjust accordingly without getting up 20 times.

Hang out in race shops and do this job repetitively... It can become a pretty quick one

YEP
but save a dollar and use a long breaker bar and socket on the crank(from the top only)....i dont like to exspose the cyclinders cause you might drop a nut or dirt or something in the whole.. crank the tunes and dedicate the weekend to it have fun take your time and you`ll be fine ..put your back wheels or blocks under the car incase it slips on the jack stands

MikeC ... If you cant find time to do it right the first time where you gonna find time to do it again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.