Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: subaru conversion question - automatic transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
pls tell/remind me what the challenges are in using an suby automatic transmission in a suby conversion are.

longer than 5spd?
mepstein
I'm pretty sure the autos are connected to the ecu or have their own brain. I could of course be completely wrong about that. I think they are heavy.

If you want an auto trans there is one sitting in my svx. It came from a legacy. You would need to grab it soon before the car gets picked up for scrap.
madmax914
I'd check out the guy's at Subarugears. Some of the earlier Subarus came with front wheel drive automatics, the biggest problem with the automatics is no one has come up with a way to lock in the FWD on the all wheel drive auto tranny's.
jimkelly
i can't imagine putting an auto in a 914 except if one finds themselves in heavy traffic often. for this reason alone, i am asking. thanks jim
mepstein
Then you take the road less traveled.
Chris H.
If you find an older 2wd trans (pre-1996 I think) you can use that. There are a lot of old Legacy wagons out there that are 2WD from the mid-90's. Otherwise you would have to convert a newer awd trans which would be pretty hard. I think someone here is doing it but it's very complicated. The 4EAT AWD trans is very long, weighs 275 lbs, is run by a separate computer (which you would need the ECU for as well), and would be hard to fit because of where certain components are.
mgp4591
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Aug 4 2015, 04:42 PM) *

I'd check out the guy's at Subarugears. Some of the earlier Subarus came with front wheel drive automatics, the biggest problem with the automatics is no one has come up with a way to lock in the FWD on the all wheel drive auto tranny's.

I've done it. The 4EAT trans in a Legacy is probably a different gear ratio than the one in the SVX, meaning that you're gonna top out at around 120 instead of 150- not that you'll ever go that fast but your mileage will be better with the SVX ratio of 3:55 vs 4:88 or so.
If you take the tailshaft off the AWD trans you'll find an electromagnetic coupler and wiring attached to an internal shaft that leads to the diff. Find a 4EAT 2wd trans in the boneyard and pull the rear cover, bearing and internal shaft. Once you've pulled the AWD parts you'll find the new parts drop right in. They also offered the SVX in a 2wd format- good luck finding one tho...
The rest of everyones comments are up to date so far as I'm aware- separate TCM, weight, length, etc. Good idea to put in a cooler as well- that's the main reason they failed in the SVX. I haven't installed mine yet so I'm not sure of fitting issues but it fits where the manual does so I'm not anticipating HUGE problems...
I do however have plans later to install a 3:55 diff in a manual trans and try that out- right now the auto is what I've got and I haven't seen another so I figure it'll be an exercise in originality- once I get walking again and out of this friggin' rehab center... dry.gif
Andyrew
Audi might be a much better option on that front....

A plethera of Audi FWD transaxles, all available at your local junkyard for dirt dirt dirt.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 4 2015, 11:34 PM) *

Audi might be a much better option on that front....

A plethera of Audi FWD transaxles, all available at your local junkyard for dirt dirt dirt.

I've not researched the Audi option on a Subaru engine...
ThePaintedMan
The FWD trans out of this SVX would probably work. And it's doubtful that it would ever have the issues it has with the SVX since a 914 weighs nearly half of that car.
Chris H.
Yes unfortunately no FWD SVX's were imported to the US by Subaru so it'd be hard to find a trans from an "Alcyone" (the name outside North America). Imagine the torque steer on one of those! I thought seriously about doing an automatic conversion. Still might someday. Probably switch drive trains entirely though.
76-914
Have you abandoned your SBC project or have you completed it and are now starting another project? confused24.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 5 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Yes unfortunately no FWD SVX's were imported to the US by Subaru so it'd be hard to find a trans from an "Alcyone" (the name outside North America).

Really Chris? Mine is FWD...?
Chris H.
Wow yours is rare George (not rare like..."valuable" rare... biggrin.gif ). Although I read on the SVXWorld site that ALL North America SVX's were AWD it appears that there were a limited number of FWD models imported in 1994-95. They didn't sell well so Subaru stopped importing them.

Wikipedia... "Soon after the SVX entered production, Subaru began to realize that the high selling price of the SVX was giving some buyers "sticker shock".[citation needed] In an attempt to attract more buyers, a front-wheel drive version was offered on the SVX during the 1994–1995 model year, which cost about $5,300 less than the AWD version in 1994. and $1500 difference in 1995. In 1994, FWD was offered on both the base L model (X33 in the VIN) and on the mid-range LS model (X34 in the VIN). In 1995, only the base L model was offered in FWD (X33 in the 5th, 6th and 7th digits of the VIN). Buyers avoided the compromised FWD version and weak sales figures led to its discontinuation after 1995."

Interesting info for the boneyard searches...
jimkelly
no..i've bleed the brakes and adjusted the clutch cable...and will be dropping a different carb on it this weekend.. if i get a good idle...i will then try to take it for a test drive... and be closeer to getting it registered...

though i have a white 1975 that needs a suby engine and likely a 5 spd, but who knows.

the first thing it will need once legal is a QUIET exhaust and rise it up a bit. it is too dang loud for the neighborhood, especially when i rev the shit out of it : )

quote name='76-914' date='Aug 5 2015, 07:08 AM' post='2219084']
Have you abandoned your SBC project or have you completed it and are now starting another project? confused24.gif
[/quote]
matthepcat
Just buy a cheap restrictive set of mufflers and tie both sides together. It will be nice and quiet.

You can even buy some high flow racing cats to quiet it down more and take out some stink.

[quote name='jimkelly' date='Aug 5 2015, 10:07 AM' post='2219139']
no..i've bleed the brakes and adjusted the clutch cable...and will be dropping a different carb on it this weekend.. if i get a good idle...i will then try to take it for a test drive... and be closeer to getting it registered...

though i have a white 1975 that needs a suby engine and likely a 5 spd, but who knows.

the first thing it will need once legal is a QUIET exhaust and rise it up a bit. it is too dang loud for the neighborhood, especially when i rev the shit out of it : )

quote name='76-914' date='Aug 5 2015, 07:08 AM' post='2219084']
[/quote]
[/quote]
madmax914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 4 2015, 03:56 PM) *

Then you take the road less traveled.

The desert racer 914 car is bad ass, any idea who's it is?
mgp4591
I'm thinking that the auto will be fun for awhile- my SVX trans has the manual mode also for exploring the upper limits of the rpm range. I'm toying with the idea of a turbo for the 3.3, just a low pressure T3/T4 hybrid so I can turn up the boost if the engine gets an overhaul with lower compression pistons later on. Even with low boost, the auto will help the car by shifting faster and less loss of boost pressure- it should sound pretty cool too! Acceleration will be muy grande! I've got a complete and running SVX now and plan on using a bunch of the equipment and very little of the 914 wiring- it's old and brittle (like me apparently) so newer wiring will be welcome and safer. I'll hide it all somewhere I suppose... idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.