Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okay... here's the deal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
Okay. Got the tranny out. I'm filthy. smash.gif

Flywheel is toast.
Clutch disc exploded (rubber center?)
Pressure plate worn.
Heat exchangers are toast. Shit, thought I had another year.
CVs need new boots and to be repacked. Axles have surface rust.
Tranny mounts are toast.
Engine rear main seal leaking.

Gonna be an expensive project. Tons of cleaning to do, and this is after two cans of brake cleaner and a powerwash last weekend.

Pictures to follow, and beer to follow that.
anthony
For cleaning try that Castrol Super Clean - best stuff I've ever used.
Lawrence
This is a picture of an original 914/6 muffler bracket. Well used.
Lawrence
Clutch disk, side 1.
Lawrence
Clutch disk, side 2.
Lawrence
Pressure plate, side 1.
Lawrence
Pressure plate, side 2.
Lawrence
Inside the tranny. Lots of old oil.
Lawrence
Flywheel.
Lawrence
Center of the flywheel. Are these bearings part of the flywheel itself??
tracks914
I second the Castrol Super Clean. Best stuff I've ever used. Caution, prolonged exposure will remove the finger prints from your fingers. ohmy.gif

Good, strong, non-environmentaly friendly cleaner.
Aaron Cox
sorta OT question:

what is the difference between a 914-4 and a /6 trans?

*gearing?

just curious...

and as to losing your fingerprints...that can be a good thing biggrin.gif
Lawrence
The gearing and linkage is different from a regular tail-shifter. The muffler hanger is different, too.
Aaron Cox
are you able to convert a /6 to side shifter?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 8 2003, 03:19 PM)
Center of the flywheel. Are these bearings part of the flywheel itself??

No, it presses out, or you can knock it out with a BFH and a bit smaller socket.
J P Stein
The pilot bearing is not part of the flywheel nor is the retainer/washer thingy. You'll need new bolts.....even if you manage to get the old ones off undamaged. The gud news is that the bolts are 13 bucks each....butcha only need 6 of em wacko.gif

Start soaking the old ones in penetrating oil now.....you may need a torch.... BIG breaker bar, some way to hold the flywheel.....another arm growing from the center of your chest....Did I mention special tool for the bolts? ...90 ft/lbs on them suckers...before the rust....are we havin' fun yet biggrin.gif
anthony
Do you have hold the flywheel in place if you have an impact wrench or will it zip it off?
Mark Henry
What is the size of the ring gear on the /6 flywheel?

I know that you can get a new ring gear for a 12V bug, you cut off the old teeth on a lathe, press on the new ring gear, weld it in a couple of spots and your on your way.
Lawrence
JP.. thanks for the info. Should I replace that bearing? I've noticed a visible wear line (but something I can't feel) on the transmission shaft.

I'll post my parts list in a bit... you guys can carp and criticize... Ooops.. I meant critique. happy11.gif

The cost of the parts list is growing to become a mid-grade 914-4.

There is no ring gear on a 914/6 flywheel. One piece unit. It sucks.

-Rusty
anthony
This is what scared me about 914-6 ownership although 4 cylinder parts aren't much cheaper.
MarkV
The only component that is more expensive than a 4 is the flywheel. The 6 flywheel is about $115 more than the 4 flywheel.

It is probably cheaper to buy the 20pc kit in the long run. PP sells it and so do many others. Comes w/ everything you need. Probably want to re-seal the transmission while it is out. Front seal, output seals, speedo o-ring & shifter seal.
Lawrence
My thoughts exactly on resealing the transmission.

I'll shop around for the kit, cept I'll need the 6 spring clutch disk. Nice pic.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 8 2003, 05:19 PM)
JP.. thanks for the info.  Should I replace that bearing?  I've noticed a visible wear line (but something I can't feel) on the transmission shaft.
-Rusty

Sure, replace everything. (ain't my money happy11.gif )
Don't wanna go back there for 10 years or so. That kit looks gud...tho I'd look around for pricing.

I ran a stock 2.0 L, 4 pooper clutch behind my 2.4L 6er....worked finer than frog hair.
Aaron Cox
i bought the "911" kit for my /4. comes with everything and a 6 spring clutch disc. i bought it from PP driving.gif
MarkV
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 8 2003, 06:12 PM)

I'll shop around for the kit, cept I'll need the 6 spring clutch disk. Nice pic.

I stole it from PP. They list the 6 spring but the photo shows the 4 spring.

That front trans seal was a PITA for me. I didn't have the proper seal puller. The slide hammer hook type would have worked perfect.

I spent more time cleaning & re-sealing than on the actual installation. I found that if you set the tranny on some cardboard & spray it w/ de-greaser & let it set overnight it works better. I put in the back of my truck & took it to the quarter car wash. Makes for a big mess. pain30.gif
72Signal914
Hey acox914, Nice avatar biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 8 2003, 05:19 PM)

There is no ring gear on a 914/6 flywheel. One piece unit. It sucks.

-Rusty

So is a beetle or Type 4 but you can machine off the old gears and press on a replacment

From the Gene Berg catalog:

Replacement Flywheel

Ring Gears

Heat-treated for maximum life. Have your flywheel machined to accept the ring gear with 0.010" to 0.015" press fit, heat the gear in an oven to 150 to 200 degrees and set the flywheel into it on a flat surface. Let it cool and it is on. It is OK to tack weld the ring gear at the inside base, if you are concerned about your press fit being properly done, see LA FLY030 and also LA BAL017 as this could change the balance. Made in the USA. SW 3#

GB 085 6-volt 109-tooth ring

GB 085A 12-volt 130-tooth ring

this was a 1/3 page down from this link:
http://www.geneberg.com/flyclchpg2.htm
Lawrence
I've never heard of that done to a 914 or 911.

No prices listed, but my gut tells me that once I total up resurfacing, machining, the ring gear, and welding (this is a job for a machine shop) - I'll end up with one with a shorter life for about the same cost.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not willing to take the chance.

-Rusty
fuch toy
When I did the rocket/6 conversion, I wanted a Mikey proof clutch. Kennedy Engineering made me a custom flywheel (3.0 to 901 trans) AND a larger KEVLAR clutch disc. 228mm if my feeble brain is workjing this Monday....me thinks it was the bus size.

The whole deal was cheap as or cheaper than new oem stock stuff......held together great until first gear let loose from the burnouts.....new gear and the same disc......last I heard the car is still using it....probably with less abuse by the new owner though..... rolleyes.gif
Lawrence
You did burnouts? Nooooooo! ohmy.gif

Say it isn't so!!
markb
NOTHING is Mikey proof. tongue.gif
MarkV
Lawrence, Is this a good price? w00t.gif

six flywheel
Lawrence
Wow... all kinds of stuff pops up on evilBay... ninja.gif

Thanks for posting that link. Their Buy-It-Now price is about what Paragon has listed on their website.

You guys are eBay masters... no wonder I always get outbid, or find stuff too late. smile.gif

thanks!

-Rusty smoke.gif
MarkV
Lawrence, This is a good price. pirate.gif

6 spring sachs
Lawrence
Thanks... I just snagged it. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.