Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
I'm gonna clean the muffler and scrape/beadblast the rust off.

What is good to use as a muffler paint, that will last more than the first 10 minutes of hot exhaust? BBQ grill paint?
Aaron Cox
try high temp engine paint...(this is what i used on my engine tin) or BBQ paint
Jeroen
POR15 also has a high-temp coating
No real world experiences though...

cheers,

Jeroen
Pam
I think we used POR15 (I assume high temp) on the Bee and it didn't work out well...I don't recall the details for sure other than a lot of time spent painting and a short amount of time watching it burn off.

I know Holt sells something called Very High Temperature Paint used in the airplane industry....

-Pam
ChrisReale
Por 15 only works if you follow the directions to the last period. You need to marine clean it, metal ready it and then paint it.
Id try to get it coated instead of painted, like Kevin Powers did with his Triad exhaust.
Lawrence
You're right, Pam. We did.

But it wasn't the high-temp flavor, and I thought it was. My fault.

-Rusty
Andyrew
High temp paint is what I would use, A trip to FLAPS to get caliper paint and I saw some very high temp.. 1150 f, I think was the highest I saw. Good luck!
Pam
Check out the Holt stuff - I know they had a website when I had to buy it for the pilots at work...maybe it will be less expensive than POR15 high temp

Re: using the wrong POR15 - I'm sure by the time we were going to apply it - I'd lost the instructions in that SAME place I lost several "impossible to replace" bolts rolleyes.gif

-Pam
MarkV
I painted my used banana mueba.gif muffler. Sanded it down to bare metal & primed it w/ zinc spray can primer. I painted over the primer w/ gray VHT brand spray can high heat paint. It’s been almost a year & it hasn't burned off.
StratPlayer
I just finished painting my muffler using Por 20 not por 15,, I used the Por 20 Black Satin its a high temp paint and it came out very well.
J P Stein
I use srove paint on my headers. 1200 deg stuff.
Wurks fine & is cheep & black. Recoat every couple years.
TMorr
I recently restored an Abarth muffler for my 911, after glass bead, I used this Eastwood product.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/itemdy0...+Z&Dep_Key1=spc

If the link is not good, check for product 10183, thats the Eastwood #

Very thin, used a couple or three coats, but the result is good so far, good flat / satin finish.
One can would do at least four 911 mufflers.

Regards

Hayden PTBT
914Timo
I just painted my banana mufler with VHT satin black engine paint. The headers I painted VHT silver 1200 deg stuff.

After first test drive they still look good..... smile.gif
Lawrence
Hey.. thanks for all the info. Sounds like I can make it all squeaky clean and nice again!

-Rusty
Kargeek
A nice factory look is to use Wurth zinc spray or their aluma-zinc spray. I've used both and they work great and can be touched up later. DH
Dad Roberts
Rusty.......the Eastwood exhaust stuff works great. I have used it for years on exhaust manifolds, and tubing. On the mainfolds it looks like an original casting.....on tubing, you will have to work a lil harder to get a nice look. Once you apply the stuff, you must run the motor and bake it in. Fumes are VERY bad, need LOTSA ventilation. Good Luck..... smile.gif ........Dad..... driving.gif
Lawrence
Thanks, Dad. That certainly is an option that I need to look at.

Anyone ever use high-temp powdercoating? I've seen some advertised that claim to stand up to 1000 degree temps.

-Rusty
seanery
what about sending it out? I think Jet-Hott will do mufflers.
Lawrence
Sure they will. But I'd love to be able to do it myself... after all, I'll have all the equipment.

I'm gonna be a powder coating fool. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.