Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PMB Performance - Pressure Regulator Restoration Service
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Eric_Shea
Repeat after me, "Pressure Regulator" -- "Pressure Regulator"

That's right, this little beast is a pressure regulator, "NOT" a proportioning valve. It proportions "NADA". It is the first anti-lock brake device ever to be installed on a Porsche. Here's the story:

The 914 is a mid-engine automobile. As such, it has amazing handling characteristics... to a point. Once that point is reached, it can bite you like a rabid dog. It's a physics principle called "Polar Moment Inertia". We're all familiar with the childs play toy the "top". Here it is straight out of Mr. Elford's mouth: http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-High-Perform...d/dp/0760327548

Porsche knew the issues with rear and mid-engined automobiles so, they installed this pressure regulator in the system to prevent the rear wheels from ever locking up. You see, if you lock your rear wheels in a rear or mid-engine car and your front wheels are anything but straight, you can be that "top" we were talking about and, that's not a fun toy at that time. This pressure regulator senses a panic stop (which it is set and locked at 525psi). Once it sees that pressure on the system, the valve body slides over and activates a micro-switch check valve which shuts off pressure to the rear wheels. This is a panic stop mind you, this device flows fluid like a "T" fitting until you need it. That's why we insist that it proportions "Nothing". Once the pressure equalizes in the chamber, it brings the rear calipers back into the circuit. This is "split second" stuff gang, not a leisurely event.

So, yeah, the internet guru's steered you in the wrong direction. You "never" want to replace this regulator with a "T" fitting in a street car and, you want to make sure it's operating properly otherwise, your rear calipers aren't even working and, that's 30% of your braking power.

Here's what we do; We will completely disassemble the regulator. We will zinc plate the spring housing and the valve housing. We will clean and reseal the valve body using new EPDM seals throughout. We will repaint the freshly plated spring housing and the valve housing. We will zinc plate the mount and the fasteners. We will then reassemble the regulator and reset the pressure switch to 525psi. We will then epoxy the lock nut just like the factory and send you back a perfectly operating pressure regulator that not only makes sure you and your passengers are safe but, it give you back your full braking potential so your 914 stops as good as it did when it was new (and that's still damn good my friends).

$169.95 plus $15.00 shipping in the Continental United States (we ship worldwide)

Early Cars (you'll have a brass "T" fitting at the top):
http://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/E..._Regulator.html

Late Cars (you'll have a different right line that exits the valve in the rear):
http://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/L..._Regulator.html

Spot on factory two-tone finish:
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Cool. Do we send you cores?
Eric_Shea
Yes Sir. This is a rebuild of your cores.
aharder
How long will it take you to rebuild?

mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 6 2015, 02:24 PM) *

Yes Sir. This is a rebuild of your cores.

Great. I've been saving up a couple.
wes
I have a 73 parts car and a 74 that is hopefully finished this next week for her first trip out of the stall and off to Monterey, so is the 73 the same as 74?
Eric_Shea
It depends Wes. 1974 is when they made a change in the pressure regulator. Late model 1974 have a late model pressure regulator.
LowBridge
I would like to give PMB a plug for fantastic customer service. I order calipers for all 4 corners and everything arrived on time and looking so good it's almost a crime to bolt them onto the car.. almost tongue.gif .

Additionally I messed up on my end by ordering a few items incorrectly and they had no issues helping get me the correct parts.

and on top of all of this I was one of those customers who has a "Deadline" biggrin.gif and they just made it happen.

great job PMB and thank you...
LowBridge
double post.. blink.gif
JmuRiz
Question:
I have boxster calipers on the front of my car, stock on the rear...and replaced the regulator with a T...would you suggest a modified regulator or stick with the T in this scenario.

FWIW: When I went to a HPDC way back when the pass-side rear would lock (only that side) so I'm guessing it's a vent clearance thing and not a T thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.