Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 sportwagon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ein 6er
can't say i remember seeing this before.

in an old road & track magazine on ebay, 914 sportwagon

wonder if any of these survived.

also .... in one of the other mags up for auction, pics of the only street legal 917 and it was regestered in alabama!!!
scotty b
That is actually a picture of a Honda CRX hatchback that rear ended a 914 laugh.gif laugh.gif
redshift
lol

M
Allan
I wonder where they put the rain tray?
bd1308
i'm so buying it....
riverman
A mid-engined station wagon? That makes no sense at all. Does the motor fold out of the way so you can shag in the back?
ejm
headbang.gif just when I thought I knew what fugly was... biggrin.gif
MattR
VW squareback. Its rear engine, but same difference... the engine sits under the floorboard

*unless its dad roberts' squareback, in which case the big block chevy sticks out the top*
Type 4
Hmm that looks like fun to service.
rick 918-S
It's an after market kit done by a guy on the east coast. Some of you can probably read the text. I have a think pad and need to us a magnifying glass.
McMark
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Feb 28 2005, 04:53 PM)
It's an after market kit done by a guy on the east coast. Some of you can probably read the text. I have a think pad and need to us a magnifying glass.

John Silva is a customizer from Boston who's made a reputation in the Northeast producing showcars. His latest venture is slight more than that, however. Silva has come up with a bolt-on replacement for the front bumper, with the near mandatory built-on spoiler and pods for two driving lights. Then, there are fender flares which cover chrome wheels with a 3-inch offset, side vents to let air into the engine compartment and a plexiglass roof panel that goes into the standard removable roof. The heart of the Silva conversion is a wagon back with tailgate and an integral spoiler that bolts on. The normal engine access cover moves up to the roof, and the original trunk latch becomes the tailgate latch. The change in proportions is dramatic, and the car looks 100 per cent better from any angle. The engine temperature stays cool because of the extra fender vents, and handling is improved because of the wide wheels and tires. There is even an extra 20 cubic feet of luggage space. The only apparent drawback is the price. The whole kit, assembled on your 914, adds about $2500 to the price of the car. Sold as a do-it-yourself project, the pieces alone run $1750. They are also available separately, with the sportwagon back going for $940, and the other pieces prices proportionately. All are available from Lynn Porsche/Audi, 385 Broadway, Lynnfield, Massachusetts.
ein 6er
QUOTE (ejm @ Feb 28 2005, 04:47 PM)
headbang.gif just when I thought I knew what fugly was... biggrin.gif

the artical says that "it is a bolt-on kit for the 914 which transforms it's unimspired lumpy styling into something visually more intriguing." blink.gif
jd74914
I agree; its definately interesting

A mid-engined station wagon? That makes no sense at all. Does the motor fold out of the way so you can shag in the back?

What about the Renault Clio. Those are hatchbacks. Of course, if my memory serves me right they were originally front engine cars, but someone converted them to mid engines to race with. Still really wierd things wacko.gif

I want to know why anyone would do that when they could just buy a squareback screwy.gif
rick 918-S
Thanks McMark!

Hey look what some goof did to the early 70's vette's, Same hatch back thing... screwy.gif Oh ya I guess that kind of did improve the vette happy11.gif
xsboost90
DUDE! i gotta take a picture, there is a vette wagon right up the street at a car lot. Like a 69 vette w/a wagon rear end.
Gustl
this 914 sportwagon is shown in the DGVWPB, too

btw - there were at least 3 street legal 917
one of them belonged to the famous Herbert von Karajan

Gustl
QUOTE (ein 6er @ Mar 1 2005, 01:30 AM)

also .... in one of the other mags up for auction, pics of the only street legal 917 and it was regestered in alabama!!!

could you tell me the auction number, please

a guy in a german forum is searching info on this 917
this car war primary sold to a german "Graf Rossi", but Porsche wasn't able to get this car street legal in german - so they sold it to Alabama

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

jones
Guys, laugh all you want but that is somthing I WOULD NOT mind having. Back in 1976 ( I think) my pop sold his old 63 Nova for a spanking new Pinto wagon. Now it did not have the umph the Nova had but it was all about luxery! We could all fit nice and comfy in it and it cornered pretty good. The gas mileage was pretty good to. Me and my brother "Bro" always thought relocating the engine behind the passenger seat would help with wait distribution and good shocks too would help too. Now that I have a Porsche 914 that to could be a dream come true!!with weight transferance and a mid engine. A wagon is not all that bad guys and a mid engine one wuold be pretty sweet
If any one has that kit or plans for that kit I would pay top dollar.
Again DO NOT LAUGH until you have driven in my dream car... A mid engine wagon that handles like our porches do! smilie_pokal.gif with good shocks aktion035.gif
jones
I crack me up chairfall.gif The more I read my reply the more I laugh... good shocks...priceless!! Time for bed blink.gif
ein 6er
QUOTE (Gustl B @ Feb 28 2005, 09:50 PM)
this 914 sportwagon is shown in the DGVWPB, too

i've >got< to get that book!!! headbang.gif

gustl, this is the auction for the magazine.
davep
QUOTE (Gustl B @ Feb 28 2005, 11:18 PM)
a guy in a german forum is searching info on this 917
this car war primary sold to a german "Graf Rossi", but Porsche wasn't able to get this car street legal in german - so they sold it to Alabama

I thought that was Count Rossi of Martini & Rossi fame. Sponsers of many racing Porsches.
Apparently Alabama had the least restrictions of any location when it came to titling a vehicle for the street. Once the car was titled in one location, it could be transfered to another, thus allowing the car to be driven in Europe.
Gustl
to be honest, I don't know anything in detail about this
I've just noticed that thread at a german forum, more than a year ago - and when I read about this car here, I thought it could be interesting for this german guy ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.