Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re- locating oil filter....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Do you guys think there would be any advantage to relocating my oil filter to the firewall? I'm hoping it would reduce my oil temps slightly. My car gets up to 230 sometimes on warm days. I'm thinking about old 911's I've owned, where the oil was run up into the right front fender then turned around and sent back to the tank,cooling the oil. What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Mike
Mark Henry
I've done many remote filters, my T4 powered bug has one, it won't make much of a difference.
Add a cooler in the remote filter line then it may be worth the effort. Put the cooler after the filter.
MikeM
Thanks Mark...but you see my logic,right? Remember the 2.7 liter 911's?
Mike
Mark Henry
QUOTE(MikeM @ Aug 7 2015, 11:22 AM) *

Thanks Mark...but you see my logic,right? Remember the 2.7 liter 911's?
Mike

Yes, but i'd say it's more the steel line running all the way to the front and back that would be having any cooling effect.

IIRC Gene Berg tested just the filter and the canister type with fins and only saw a slight (less than 2-5 degree) drop in temps.
MikeM
Thanks Mark. I guess the other thing is that it makes the filter easier to change!!
Mike
mikedsilva
you could always run the lines to the front of the car using steel lines, and have the remote filter mounted up there too !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.