Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: door lock frozen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
i need to get in the car, i have no fancy stuff....how do i get in and how do i prevent same thing from happening again? passenger side lock isnt keyed....
scotty b
wink.gif How about a little more info on your problem first. If you mean it is literally frozen with ice pour hot water on it or go buy a can of lock de-icer from your local parts store.
bd1308
yeah but wouldn't it freeze again?
scotty b
Get it thawed to where you can take it off, go to a local lock shop and have them dissasemble,clean,and relube it. You may have a brocken flapper if water is getting inside the lock and freezing. I would also recommend a waterproof car cover or tarp to prtevent the water getting on the handle itself.
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 28 2005, 05:01 PM)
i need to get in the car, i have no fancy stuff....how do i get in and how do i prevent same thing from happening again? passenger side lock isnt keyed....

put the key in and heat up the key with a lighter ...
then, use *gloves* to turn the key ...
once open, spray anti-freeze in there ...
then, next fall, spray it with self-penetrating oil before it gets cold again ...
buy a house with a heated garage ...
move to kalifornia ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
scotty b
What are the gloves for Andy?? Oh yeah its cold outside ! laugh.gif
riverman
Don't listen to anybody who doesn't get snow in the winter.

That being said, I agree with SirAndy. Lock De-Icer first, then penetrating oil for prevention. Maybe take the lock off afterward and treat the tumblers with a silicone grease.
SirAndy
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 28 2005, 05:24 PM)

agree.gif

i spend most of my life in germany. i have driven in snow for some 20+ winters ...
cool.gif Andy
scotty b
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 28 2005, 05:24 PM)

That being said, I agree with SirAndy. Lock De-Icer first, then penetrating oil for prevention. Maybe take the lock off afterward and treat the tumblers with a silicone grease.

You talkin to me? You talkin to me? You must be talkin to me. I have 2" on the ground right now. Wanna see??? We usually get more ice than snow. Wanna see??? People think since Va. is the "south" we don't get snow. Is that right??? Yeah well my dad is bigger than your dad!! We really do get ice and snow I promise.
scotty b
agree.gif Plus if you go back and re-read my post I was the first to tell him to get de-icer and also told himto get the lock rebuilt and RE-GREASED!!
riverman
Believe it or not, I do realize that people in Virginia get snow. We Canadians gladly do not have a monopoly on the white stuff. I was refering to the postings coming from slightly warmer climes. wink.gif

Also, my humble apologies for neglecting to give you the credit of first mentioning lock de-icer and grease, but then you do have two whole inches of snow on the ground. You SHOULD know all about lock de-icer and grease.
scotty b
OK OK OK I get it 2" isn't much but the ice is our problem! I posted a pic a few weeks ago of my 924 with 1/12" of ice on the tail just as proof to someone else here that we get bad weather. So how big is your dad?? unsure.gif
riverman
My Dad is the biggest, meanest, MoFo to ever walk the face of the earth...actually, he's a nuclear engineer, but he could probably calculate your Dad to a bloody pulp.
r_towle
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 28 2005, 09:10 PM)
OK OK OK I get it 2" isn't much but .......

idea.gif happy11.gif

If you are home, no car to go to the store....either use Andy's hot key method, (Gloves are so you dont burn your hands on the key) or a hair dryer, or hot water.

then get a can of de icer to keep with you.

If it keeps happening this year, cover that area with a tarp till spring....just a few more weeks.....

Tonight we get another 15+ inches....ok im ready for spring now....

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 28 2005, 06:20 PM)
My Dad is the biggest, meanest, MoFo to ever walk the face of the earth...actually, he's a nuclear engineer, but he could probably calculate your Dad to a bloody pulp.

Yeah well my dad, he....my dad has a 914 so he's invincible!
riverman
Well.....my Dad drives a Buick. You win. dry.gif
scotty b
It's a small victory. I just said he has a 914 I didn't say he drives it laugh.gif He actually drives a Jeep. I have the 914 under deconstruction right now. sad.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 28 2005, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 28 2005, 06:20 PM)

Yeah well my dad, he....my dad has a 914 so he's invincible!

Scotty needs to stop shooting crank,,,,your fingers are talking too fast and furious.... chatsmiley.gif
scotty b
Shooting crank? screwy.gif I've been doing body work lately. I did the engine almost a year ago! Sheesh Mike. Shooting crank..... wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.