Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LS4 to Boxster S Transaxle conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timothy_nd28
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger with Renegade Hybrids for some random parts for my conversion.

The price for the LS engine bar, rear boxster cradle mount, cooling kit are reasonable prices. However, they want 1200 dollars for 2 axles that bolt up to the boxster transmission to 911 hubs (which I don't have either)

These 911 hubs are somewhat expensive too! Renegade is putting my order together soon, and will call me with their paypal info. Should I go ahead and use their product for the axles, or is there a cheaper route?

Thanks
mepstein
I would talk to sway away. There custom axles are much cheaper. If you can't get them direct then Pmb might be able to order for you.

Post wtb on pelican for the 911 parts. You probably want the hubs, cv's and stubs from 1969-1973
Mike Bellis
Don't pay $1200 for axles. Call these guys http://www.pacificcustoms.com/porsche-930-...moly-axles.html. You will need 2 different lengths as the differential is offset. I'm running a 19-1/4" & 20-1/4" on mine. The Boxster S has a 108mm CV, same as 930 Turbo. Early 911 hubs are also 108mm. Buy 2 axles for around $200 and buy 930 CV's for around $100 each, or less. You will be about $600 into it but you still need stubs. Bruce Stone might have some. I bought a pair for around $200. If you call Pacific Customs, they will sell you individual axles so you don't need to buy a pair of each. Bolt Depot has the allen socket bolts pretty cheap. The Boxster S will use 6 per CV and the 911 stubs will use 4 each. The axles you need are 28 spline 930 style.
madmax914
You Might check with Kent Porter at Precision Chassis Works, I think he keeps in stock axles for Boxster transaxle/914 conversions.
timothy_nd28
I was hoping you would chime in, thank you pray.gif

Bruce, what say you?
1stworks
I bought these conversion pieces for axles. They bolt to my 4 bolt stub axles then got to 100 mm cv outboard and 108mm inboard.

Pretty cheep.

IPB Image

Here's where I'm at biggrin.gif

IPB Image
1stworks
Just a FYI check everything renagade sends you for correct application and don't expect anything to b labeled. ........
matthepcat
As an alternative to new axles you might be able to buy stock Boxster axles and have the hub side resplined to 930 and cut to length.

Not sure what would be cheaper.
Mike Bellis
I forgot to mention that Patrick Motorsports sells a 94mm (914) to 108mm adapter.
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/rea...4-transmission/
You can bolt this on to your stub and run 108mm CV's. If you buy off the shelf parts like this and what I posted above, replacement is easy. No custom machine work required.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 8 2015, 07:23 AM) *

As an alternative to new axles you might be able to buy stock Boxster axles and have the hub side resplined to 930 and cut to length.

Not sure what would be cheaper.

The outer CV/stub on a Boxster axle is non serviceable.
timothy_nd28

IPB Image
[/quote]

Thanks for the advise, this is a great option. The tub I bought came with 914 hubs that were already drilled for 5 lugs. At this point, not really sure which route to go, but I do know that I will scratch off the axle kit from the order list at Renegade.

That transmission mount looks pretty cool, is that what I should expect from Renegade, never seen a picture of it. That adapter plate looks pretty thick, was that made from Kennedy Adapters? Kennedy pretty much told me to screw off once they knew I was trying to mate a LS4 to a Boxster 6 speed. The LS4 has no provisions for a starter, same holds true for the Boxster transaxle. After some intense searching, I found a company that has mated these two before and only charges 1500 for the adapter plate, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch and starter. The LS4 seems pretty popular with the Fiero crowd, and has been even installed in a MGB! I also like the idea that this engine can disable 4 cylinders at freeway speeds to conserve fuel. This will be a fun project! driving.gif
Stacks914
Man that looks really good! you go with KEP adapter?

[quote name='timothy_nd28' date='Aug 8 2015, 09:03 AM' post='2220603']

IPB Image
[/quote]

Thanks for the advise, this is a great option. The tub I bought came with 914 hubs that were already drilled for 5 lugs. At this point, not really sure which route to go, but I do know that I will scratch off the axle kit from the order list at Renegade.

That transmission mount looks pretty cool, is that what I should expect from Renegade, never seen a picture of it. That adapter plate looks pretty thick, was that made from Kennedy Adapters? Kennedy pretty much told me to screw off once they knew I was trying to mate a LS4 to a Boxster 6 speed. The LS4 has no provisions for a starter, same holds true for the Boxster transaxle. After some intense searching, I found a company that has mated these two before and only charges 1500 for the adapter plate, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch and starter. The LS4 seems pretty popular with the Fiero crowd, and has been even installed in a MGB! I also like the idea that this engine can disable 4 cylinders at freeway speeds to conserve fuel. This will be a fun project! driving.gif
[/quote]
MSHax
QUOTE(1stworks @ Aug 8 2015, 06:45 AM) *

IPB Image

WOW that looks great! I just watched the video on youtube last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_geZF6_nKI

I think you guys out there doing the LS conversion are pretty awesome.
1stworks
[quote name='timothy_nd28' date='Aug 8 2015, 11:03 AM' post='2220603']

IPB Image
[/quote]

[/quote]

My engine is l33 which is aluminum 5.3 same as ls4 except I have 799 heads high comp pistons and cam.That adaptor is kennedy. The ls1 style starter does bolt up no problems.
The flywheel clutch package is pretty crazy :-)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

timothy_nd28
Man, that's pretty! drooley.gif
1stworks
Sorry for lighting up your post.

IPB Image

smilie_flagge24.gif
timothy_nd28
Please do
1stworks
biggrin.gif

IPB Image
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 7 2015, 07:11 PM) *

Don't pay $1200 for axles. Call these guys http://www.pacificcustoms.com/porsche-930-...moly-axles.html. You will need 2 different lengths as the differential is offset. I'm running a 19-1/4" & 20-1/4" on mine. The Boxster S has a 108mm CV, same as 930 Turbo. Early 911 hubs are also 108mm. Buy 2 axles for around $200 and buy 930 CV's for around $100 each, or less. You will be about $600 into it but you still need stubs. Bruce Stone might have some. I bought a pair for around $200. If you call Pacific Customs, they will sell you individual axles so you don't need to buy a pair of each. Bolt Depot has the allen socket bolts pretty cheap. The Boxster S will use 6 per CV and the 911 stubs will use 4 each. The axles you need are 28 spline 930 style.

The transaxles in the pictures are for a 2000-2004 986 Boxster S which is a complete different transaxle than the 2005-2009 987 Boxster/Cayman S transaxle. These are symmetrical and use the same length axles on both sides.
On my car I used 930 cv joints which bolt right up to the transaxle and then used early 911 108mm stub axles modified to fit the 6 bolt 930 cv joint. IIRC the axles were 20". I did get these from pacific customs and were right at $400 for everything.

The earlier Boxster S are geared a little higher and are a better choice for the V8 conversions.
Stacks914
Thanks for the pics! You have no idea how I have been searching for them! Looks great!!
1stworks
QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Aug 8 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Thanks for the pics! You have no idea how I have been searching for them! Looks great!!

O I know,I wanted to see b4 I bought too.
mepstein
QUOTE(1stworks @ Aug 8 2015, 09:07 PM) *

biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Is this a renegade setup.
1stworks
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 9 2015, 08:41 AM) *

biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Yes it's super nice,perfect fit.
mepstein
QUOTE(1stworks @ Aug 9 2015, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 9 2015, 08:41 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Yes it's super nice,perfect fit.

Thanks. Just what I wanted to know.
timothy_nd28
Is the radiator narrow enough to lay down in the trunk?
mepstein
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 9 2015, 08:46 PM) *

Is the radiator narrow enough to lay down in the trunk?

The renegade radiator comes with shrouding custom fit to the 914. If you want to lay the radiator down in the trunk there's no reason to spend for a renegade. But they do have a good reputation for providing a system to keep temps under control.
1stworks
And it's in.

IPB Image
timothy_nd28
How about a pic showing the clearance between the firewall and crank?
1stworks
IPB Image
1stworks
Didn't remove front or sides of engine tins.
Measuring for axles tomorrow.
IPB Image

timothy_nd28
Such a nice fit piratenanner.gif

I can't wait for my conversion parts to arrive, 4 weeks seems like a eternity!

How about another pic with the transaxle mount, was it dead on?
1stworks
Make sure you get all the upgraded mounts,engine and trans as they don't come with kit.
They give you more front to back movement.

IPB Image

IPB Image
1stworks
Ouch looking for 4 bolt solution.

IPB Image

Fuchs in back rev up front.
idea.gif
timothy_nd28
Looks great, loving that transaxle mount! Did you remove the muffler shield?

Shortly after posting my question, a member PM'd me offering to sell me the exact axles I need (300.00) from a failed conversion project he recently purchased.
1stworks
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 12 2015, 12:03 PM) *

Looks great, loving that transaxle mount! Did you remove the muffler shield?

Shortly after posting my question, a member PM'd me offering to sell me the exact axles I need (300.00) from a failed conversion project he recently purchased.

The muffler shield does need to be trimmed out a little,it's on my list for today.
I dropped off my old axles and stubs to my buddy's hot tank to be cleaned.
I'll mount up stubs and adaptors and see where I'm at.
I called local axle shop and dude I need to talk to vacation till Monday.

Hopefully to start engine this weekend. My fuel system coming Friday.
1stworks
Good progress on axles today.Found shop in town that can do complete
Cv's.I got 930 108mm inner and 100mm outer cv's today.Going to mount
Them up tomorrow and get measurements.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
timothy_nd28
Which transaxle do you have?
1stworks
2002 boxster S 6 speed
Derek 357i
Can someone pm me the name of the company that does the ls4 to boxster s transmission conversion kit if forum rules don't allow it to be shared in the thread?
timothy_nd28
http://www.kitcarchassis.com/contact.php
Derek 357i
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 16 2017, 01:25 PM) *

Thanks Timothy!!
dakotaewing
Anybody have alternatives to Renegades Boxter s Mount for a 914? Looking at a lot of threads,
it looks like a lot of people have them, but it seems like a pretty hefty price - KMA.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jun 9 2018, 08:17 AM) *

Anybody have alternatives to Renegades Boxter s Mount for a 914? Looking at a lot of threads,
it looks like a lot of people have them, but it seems like a pretty hefty price - KMA.gif

Build one.
Cracker
Oops! I just noticed the date of this thread... biggrin.gif

Sorry if this is posted but what is your intended purpose with the car? Also, why beat your head against issues using the LS4 when LS1/2/3/6 are so plentiful. That starter pocket could cause an issue for sure.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but standard late model Carrera axle's are a direct bolt-in with a spacer. I bought my first set for $250...plus $100 for spacers. Just another idea...

Cracker
mepstein
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jun 10 2018, 07:25 AM) *

Oops! I just noticed the date of this thread... biggrin.gif

Sorry if this is posted but what is your intended purpose with the car? Also, why beat your head against issues using the LS4 when LS1/2/3/6 are so plentiful. That starter pocket could cause an issue for sure.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but standard late model Carrera axle's are a direct bolt-in with a spacer. I bought my first set for $250...plus $100 for spacers. Just another idea...

Cracker

Yea, the PMS kit is $1,950 for about $800 worth of parts.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 9 2018, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jun 9 2018, 08:17 AM) *

Build one.

Mike,

I have no problem with that, I just need some photos for reference.
I probably need to start a new thread since my motor is different than what's on the title of this thread -

Thanks
Joemo5
QUOTE(1stworks @ Aug 12 2015, 11:45 AM) *

Make sure you get all the upgraded mounts,engine and trans as they don't come with kit.
They give you more front to back movement.

IPB Image

It's already been said, but thanks again for posting pictures of the renegade stuff!! The kennedy engineering parts looks like works of art.

I'm headed down a similar path with my car and I'm curious, in the above picture it looks like the ring gear area of the boxster trans hangs down lower than the oil pan of the ls engine? A similar observation would be that the centerline of the axle stubs are below the bottom of the engine block. Any chance you could hold a tape measure up to get an idea how much lower it hangs? This would only be of concern on cars that have a lowered suspension setup.

Lastly, I've heard mention that boxster trans puts the axles at a forward angle because the output shaft on the trans is further rearward than the wheel hub? If I'm wrong, please excuse my ignorance. Keep us updated on your axle progress!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.