Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche factory 914-8 silver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mepstein
Does anyone have pictures of the interior and trunks. I'm just curious and I've never seen any good pics other than the exterior. Thanks
JeffBowlsby
Only one I have of the interior. More exterior shots on my website.

porschetub
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 9 2015, 04:33 AM) *

a couple more

This car was custom built for the ''Doctor",did they model the seat material off his favourite tweed suit biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .
I always wonder if this car is the most valued car in the collection......has to be.
mepstein
Thanks guys!
Looks like a full leather interior.
Headliner with speakers and sunroof
Tach that red lines at 8500!!!
Some other small details
I don't see a gas gauge.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 9 2015, 07:42 AM) *

Thanks guys!
Some other small details
I don't see a gas gauge.

Love this car,was the motor on carbs around 180hp?,I seem to remember they made more on MFI , the developement of this engine caused the racing department some headaches from what I read,the first test motor delivered a disappointing result during initial testing.
Judging by the scuffing and wear marks on the interior I looks like it was fairly well used.
Could the sunroof be an electric one from say a 911 of that era,don't know.
Calling all history buffs on this one.
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 8 2015, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 9 2015, 07:42 AM) *

Thanks guys!
Some other small details
I don't see a gas gauge.

Love this car,was the motor on carbs around 180hp?,I seem to remember they made more on MFI , the developement of this engine caused the racing department some headaches from what I read,the first test motor delivered a disappointing result during initial testing.
Judging by the scuffing and wear marks on the interior I looks like it was fairly well used.
Could the sunroof be an electric one from say a 911 of that era,don't know.
Calling all history buffs on this one.

This one had a factory 8. Detuned to around 250 or more? The red one was over 300hp.
Johny Blackstain
This car is nothing less than spectacular, but now I'm curious about that interior. If those are speakers mounted in the roof they have got to be tiny & must sound really thin. Since there is no light between the seats, there is no radio next to the climate controls, I think they're dome lights & not speakers, but I'm really not sure.
zambezi
Those are definitely dome lights. The sunroof is a manual crank and it moves forward into the roof.
Perry Kiehl Clone
I've always wanted to see the exhaust/heat exchangers. I've always wanted to see the details on how the factory did MFI on the 916's
porschetub
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Aug 10 2015, 01:08 PM) *

I've always wanted to see the exhaust/heat exchangers. I've always wanted to see the details on how the factory did MFI on the 916's

This ones a carbed motor,4 x 48 webers I think?
Never thought about heat exchangers now that would be a bit of work for a one-off car.
scotty b
sunroof handle and operation looks a lot like an early M.B. turned around idea.gif
Rob-O
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 11 2015, 09:39 PM) *

Never thought about heat exchangers now that would be a bit of work for a one-off car.

Looks like they definitely thought about heat exchangers and nixed the idea. Doesn't look like there are any heat tubes coming up through the rocker behind the speaker pod location. This car seems to have just a piece of carpet covering that area.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 12 2015, 04:57 AM) *

sunroof handle and operation looks a lot like an early M.B. turned around idea.gif

Melding two of your car brands.
It's a cool idea and would really stiffen up the car wouldn't it?
If it had AC or wing-vent windows you wouldn't even miss the targa roof not being there.
mepstein
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 12 2015, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 12 2015, 04:57 AM) *

Melding two of your car brands.
It's a cool idea and would really stiffen up the car wouldn't it?
If it had AC or wing-vent windows you wouldn't even miss the targa roof not being there.

My Suby conversion will have a steel top and a/c. It won't duplicate the factory 8 but I will probably borrow the monochromatic paint. I was going to skip all the usual stiff kits other than the suspension console.
7TPorsh
Hey! hold your horsepower! How come there isn't a fixed seat on the passenger side? Something phishy
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 12 2015, 11:03 AM) *
How come there isn't a fixed seat on the passenger side? Something phishy

Does the term "prototype" mean anything to you?
confused24.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 12 2015, 12:16 PM) *

confused24.gif

If a prototype, then the design was already there for the dual seats....should have rolled to production. Why create a fixed seat and then change back? Sounds costlier to me..

Never understood why they went fixed at all.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 12 2015, 03:26 PM) *

confused24.gif

If a prototype, then the design was already there for the dual seats....should have rolled to production. Why create a fixed seat and then change back? Sounds costlier to me..

I'd guess that it has to be more labor intensive to install a moving passenger seat, however @ some point market research & customer feedback told them it was needed & worth the additional labor costs.
Greg914-6GT
Thought you might enjoy some detailed pictures of the Orange car.

Here’s a link to “914-8” in my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/imzyr6rn8or9dzh/...WAAgYH3Fya?dl=0
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 12 2015, 12:26 PM) *

confused24.gif

Many of the prototype features were cut due to cost. DGVWPB is full of them with several pages dedicated to the prototype phase of the 914.

There's nothing "phishy" about seeing prototype features on a prototype car ...
shades.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 12 2015, 12:59 PM) *

Many of the prototype features were cut due to cost.

Good to see the Porsche crest on the hood in other pictures of this car, it legitimizes a lot of cars out there. "Cut due to cost" for production, then added back later by owners striving for greater authenticity. Right?

JFJ914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 12 2015, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 12 2015, 12:59 PM) *

Many of the prototype features were cut due to cost.

Good to see the Porsche crest on the hood in other pictures of this car, it legitimizes a lot of cars out there. "Cut due to cost" for production, then added back later by owners striving for greater authenticity. Right?

No, when Porsche builds a car and puts the badge on it, it belongs there. When we add a badge to a car that Porsche didn't put a badge on, it doesn't! Simple.
DBCooper
Porsche built that car and put that badge on it. So we're good since we're replicating something Porsche did for (and probably at the direction of) Ferry Porsche, no?

Here, Ferry with the car, fresh from the Porsche factory:

IPB Image

Johny Blackstain
I understood that the silver 914-8 was a birthday gift for the good Doctor & he didn't like it. Since it was a gift I doubt he had much input on that particular car, & as to weather or not he liked it I can't say for sure.
rgalla9146
Golde crank sunroof from a period Beetle
Gearshift moved rearward ? very straight lever.
Surface rust on gearshift lever.
Missing cup on right inside door release.
Unusual interior rear view mirror. Round base, not a 911 or 944 item.
Speakers in headliner ? or interior lamps ?
porschetub
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Aug 13 2015, 01:08 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 11 2015, 09:39 PM) *

Looks like they definitely thought about heat exchangers and nixed the idea. Doesn't look like there are any heat tubes coming up through the rocker behind the speaker pod location. This car seems to have just a piece of carpet covering that area.

In that case it must have the infamous gasoline heater??.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 12 2015, 03:37 PM) *

I understood that the silver 914-8 was a birthday gift for the good Doctor & he didn't like it. Since it was a gift I doubt he had much input on that particular car, & as to weather or not he liked it I can't say for sure.

Wouldn't make any difference. It was done by the Porsche factory for Ferry Porsche himself, and since it was a gift the car was done in the style they thought the very best, no expense spared. That's authentic and demonstrable provenance, so I'm going to put a badge on my hood, in honor of and respect for Ferry Porsche and especially for his 914-8.

porschetub
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 13 2015, 02:24 PM) *

Wouldn't make any difference. It was done by the Porsche factory for Ferry Porsche himself, and since it was a gift the car was done in the style they thought the very best, no expense spared. That's authentic and demonstrable provenance, so I'm going to put a badge on my hood, in honor of and respect for Ferry Porsche and especially for his 914-8.

Nicely said,in the factories eyes it a car built with pride and quality,no differant than anything they made in that era,the 914 suffered from brand confusion in the states hence the non VW/Porsche badging used in Europe,I have a period correct hood badge on mine and happy to keep it there .
Yes the car was a birthday gift for the good Doctor but I really think the statement about him not liking it may carry some weight,the 908 motor was hardly a street motor afterall.....
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 12 2015, 10:24 PM) *

I never mentioned the badge on the hood, nor did I mention the car was lacking in any quality.
confused24.gif
DBCooper
Oops. I understood your comment to be a continuation of this one, but I see that's my mistake. Sorry.

QUOTE(John Jentz @ Aug 12 2015, 03:13 PM) *

No, when Porsche builds a car and puts the badge on it, it belongs there. When we add a badge to a car that Porsche didn't put a badge on, it doesn't! Simple.

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 13 2015, 10:18 AM) *

Oops. I understood your comment to be a continuation of this one, but I see that's my mistake. Sorry.

QUOTE(John Jentz @ Aug 12 2015, 03:13 PM) *

biggrin.gif no prob. I was pointing out that since the car was a birthday gift, most likely a surprise, I doubted that the good Doctor had any input on the car. I'm sure the silver paint & tweed seats were there for his tastes.
On a different note, "porschetubs" comment about the 908 motor not being very streetable makes sense. Yes, the motor was detuned but I have to wonder about the cam profiles; how easy does the engine idle @ a stoplight? If you have to rev the engine to keep it running whenever you're stopped in traffic, I can see that being a reason for disliking the drivability of the car.
Zimms
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Aug 9 2015, 09:08 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Rob-O
Wow! Now I understand why they didn't put heat exchangers on it. Looks like a bundle of snakes... smash.gif
Zimms
A couple of additional views
Click to view attachment
Zimms
Click to view attachment
Zimms
Click to view attachment
Zimms
Click to view attachment
Zimms
Click to view attachment
Zimms
Click to view attachment
Zimms
Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
Nice rain gutter shot! Having wanted a 916 since I first discovered of their existence, I've always wanted more detailed info on steel roofs.
Perry Kiehl Clone
I thought the Dr liked his custom 914, because he put a fair number of miles on the car, but found the 8 cylinder a bit finicky.

Thanks for the exhaust pics those are great!
Zimms
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 13 2015, 11:00 AM) *

Nice rain gutter shot! Having wanted a 916 since I first discovered of their existence, I've always wanted more detailed info on steel roofs.

Another;

Click to view attachment
Zimms
Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
Nice & thank you! Got any of the front rain gutter? smile.gif
mepstein
No gas gauge on either factory 8 that I can see. Thanks for the pics.
Zimms
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 13 2015, 08:08 PM) *

Nice & thank you! Got any of the front rain gutter? smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Zimms
Click to view attachment
Zimms
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.