Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Fuel System troubleshooting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skiking
I'd appreciate any information and suggestions on my 1975 914 1.8L fuel system problems.

The car will start right up but will not idle or stay running without holding the throttle open. When I spray carb cleaner into the intake while running, the rpm's go up off of idle, leading me to believe it's running lean. The engine sounds smooth when holding the throttle open and the rpm's are up.

I've changed the fuel filter and the fuel. I think I've eliminated vacuum leaks or ignition as the source of the problem. The fuel pump runs and I can feel it pumping fuel, but not sure if it's working at full strength.

My thoughts at this point are that the fuel pump is not working properly or a problem with the fuel pressure regulator. I'm leaning to the fuel pump as the problem, but I may be way off base.

I'd welcome anyone's expertise on this issue.

Thanks!
Spoke
Did this just start doing this? If so, did you make any changes to the engine?

You can check the fuel pressure with a gauge on the metal tube which connects the 2 injectors on each side. There is a port there convenient for testing pressure.
timothy_nd28
If it starts but doesn't remain running, sounds like a problem with the dual relay. Do you have a jumper wire?
skiking
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 8 2015, 02:54 PM) *

Did this just start doing this? If so, did you make any changes to the engine?

You can check the fuel pressure with a gauge on the metal tube which connects the 2 injectors on each side. There is a port there convenient for testing pressure.

I had made no changes to the engine. It started acting this way upon start-up after not being run all winter.

I could not find a port on the metal tube - can you give me more details? Should there be one on each side, or just one total? Thanks!
skiking
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 8 2015, 04:11 PM) *

If it starts but doesn't remain running, sounds like a problem with the dual relay. Do you have a jumper wire?

Yes, what would I need to jump across? Thanks!
timothy_nd28
Jump pin 88d (dual relay- big black wire with red stripe) straight to the positive battery post. This is temporary, but a good way to isolate your issue
Dtjaden
This manual will be your friend:
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/VW/Misc/VW_L-...shop_Manual.pdf
It has a full troubleshooting chart.
timothy_nd28
I should add that you need to leave the dual relay inserted in its sockets. Part of this relay powers up the ECU.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.