Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone following the BaT (Bring a Trailer) 914 story?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Looks like they are making good progress across country

914 Story Part 1

914 Story Part 2
914forme
Thank you for biting this out, it was a great read for a Sunday morning.
gereed75
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 9 2015, 08:12 AM) *

914 Story Part 1

914 Story Part 2

Great story and the PVGP is really a great event. It is run through the city park and the last weekend races in the park are limited to the small bore cars for safety reasons. The big bore cars can run on the previous week end at the newly updated PittRace facility. New track yields a truly world class venue with 2+ mile road course with fully compliant run offs

914s are well represented
rick 918-S
Great road trip story. Love doing road trips.
Geezer914
Nice trip! You have a set of cajonees to buy a 41 year old car with nothing checked out and drive it across country! I was worried when I bought mine and had to drive it from York, PA to South Jersey! driving.gif
EdwardBlume
This is a dream of mine to do. Very cool.
mepstein
I had seen that car on local craigslist for quite some time. Glad to see someone is having a good time with it.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 9 2015, 09:06 AM) *

I had seen that car on local craigslist for quite some time. Glad to see someone is having a good time with it.

There is more to this story - and a 914World member came to the rescue in Denver. Hopefully he will chime in and tell the story.
Olympic 914
I saw that car parked at the PVGP with the "Bring a Trailer" sticker on the windshield. wondered about that. didn't see anyone around the car to talk to though.

Scott S
I am the "Scott" listed in the article (my kid brother Jeff is who is in the picture). The car was at my shop when it broke down. I was very very concerned that they were breathing exhaust the entire trip. Engine was rebuilt, but the rusted stock heat exchangers were re-used - and they were really rough. As well, the clutch tube area of the firewall was gone, with an L bracket riveted to the floor pan. I tried to put a piece of reinforced oil line around the stock fuel line, as the hole/broken rusty metal in the firewall was really sharp. The car definitely needed some rust repair on the firewall, floors and triangles.

The breather location and lines caused the initial oil leak (carbed car). Once we fixed the broken breather line, the passenger side valve cover let go. Per my post back when it happened, I was concerned that the motor had no crank case ventilation - the breather was mounted very low with sagged lines and collecting oil. Because of this concern, we removed the breather box from the equation and vented the heads and the crank case to simple gauze breather elements/to the atmosphere (I know, I know....).

I could not reconfig the breather, as the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and some sort of hot start relay were bolted to the breather lid (the engine compartment was really really cluttered/tight - especially being that the engine cover did not open all the way and it had a rain tray).

They made it over the mountains and home. Hopefully they get the car into a a good shop and have it really gone over. It also is in dire need of a re-paint. Interior, less some minor indiscretions, was very nice/original with a new dash.

One thing to note: My understanding was that Alan did not have any intention of coming through to see us - it was just dumb luck that he had issues where he did. What makes this special is that Alan and his wife were friends with may parents when they were in High School. I remember spending time with them when I was very young (10 or so - I am 47 now - my parents are mid 70's). It was really a special thing to get to see them - it had really been a long time. Another funny side note - they used to tease MY dad for driving a 914 back in the early 70's! Ha!

Alan's son was one of the initial creators of BaT.
Kansas 914
Nicely done Scott.

There is just something special, maybe even magical about a 914. You can't make this stuff up. Cheers!
billh1963
Final installment

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/08/13/bat-su...the-usa-part-3/

airheads
Cool story.
Doug, the seller is no good. Bought a 76 911 from me off Craigslist. Said he was gonna keep it and maybe track it. The car had been hit, which i pointed out to him. He posted it back on Craigslist the next day for $10000 more then he paid me for it. His ad said, no sign of accedents.

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 9 2015, 04:12 AM) *

914 Story Part 1

914 Story Part 2

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.