Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 94' FI, 4.3 chevy v6, 914 Converion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
I cant decide..ls,type 1 or 4,...or a 4.3 ltr v6.i hve the v6 already,but its rated at 180 hp,265 tq
Which engine is the easy less hassle to do..kinda want to keep,the 901 and use all 5 gears..????? Thanks.... Frank
Mueller
A few 4.3 V6 conversions already out there...same dimensions more or less as a SBC except for being shorter length wise since it has 2 less cylinders.

Even with "only" 180hp and 265 trq the car will be a blast to drive....the LS option is going to be more money for sure.

You might get lucky and find used adapters for the 4.3 to keep costs down.

Everyone will have a different opinion....asking questions like this only makes the decision harder smile.gif
matthepcat
If your going through the effort of a watercooled conversion, I would use the most modern and light weight option available to you. A 4.3 as Muller said is just a small block Chevy with two cylinders cut off...not exactly modern and the power band is lots of torque with no power in the top end. Maybe look at the KEP website for inspiration if you want to keep your 901:
http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/default.aspx
flmont
YES,..Mueller,lol ,...I know that is true , my gut says do the v6,at least you can double the fun and not have to upgrade everything...,but then again,all the kits are designed for the v8 set up which should make life easier get close to the goal of 300 NO .and never have to update ,..just drive but as u say the v8,will cost more ,and I am impatient...LOL..THANKS...
JRust
Suby bud. Best bang for the buck out there. I love v8's too & the LS1 is a killer setup. I think one ride in a suby & you'd be converted. If you haven't considered it just look here on the board at all the suby projects. Lots of options with them too.
Chris914n6
I'm a big fan of 'got it use it'. SBC adapter should be reasonably easy to find used since everybody is going subie. New cam and some other parts will move the power band up along with redline. See Mike Bellis build thread for a cheap radiator setup.

Sorry, you can't put 265 tq into a 914 1st gear, nor would you want to as it will be faster in second.
flmont
True...but I cant do all the work turbos require,anything less than a turbo
Is no worth it f or me..a good idea tho, for people of more ability than I.

flmont
Yea,iam learning that,..iam asking Dr.Evil for some pricing,or maybe try boxter tranny,but thats a lot of work i bet...
Mark Henry
IMO to go through all the work for a iron block v6 you will wish you did an 8.
3d914
Flmont, there are many reasons to pursue the V6 path you're considering. I'm with you about using what you got. A V6 with 250+ torque will more fun and work than your current driving skills can handle - which provides room for growth.
And the 901 tranny is good for 300 ft.Lbs - though as suggested - you wouldn't want to apply that in first gear.

I'm currently doing a V6 (and I'm in your rough neighborhood-Benson). Its the SHO 3.2L and I don't think there is a taller V6 out there. Now admittedly mine a bit on the radical side, but I've review numerous V6 options. You can check out my project and I have a listing of all the V6's I've reviewed - see posting #31 on this page.

Let me know if you'd like to talk further.

Enjoy!
flmont
Hey 3D914,...I actually found u yesterday,..when I noticed the SHO headline and I did ck things out your build will be Fantastic for sure,..Jrust said Subaru,..but I thought they had to be turbo's to get any pwr,..Then, As Iam buying some parts from a Nothern Cali Guy,. ..He said he was building a SVX Subaru,..with 220 HP and 230 Lbs of Tq and NO turbo,..and now Iam thinking of doing that,..I want as much HP/TQ as I can get ,..But I don't want to over power the Chassis either,..I want it to handel just as good as it does now,..and a flat boxer 6 is starting to make sense,.and a lot less chassis mods aswell,..???,..Anything I can do for U 3D,..from Tucson,...just let me know,.I would help ya anyway I can,..Thanks Frank

QUOTE(3d914 @ Aug 10 2015, 05:51 PM) *

Flmont, there are many reasons to pursue the V6 path you're considering. I'm with you about using what you got. A V6 with 250+ torque will more fun and work than your current driving skills can handle - which provides room for growth.
And the 901 tranny is good for 300 ft.Lbs - though as suggested - you wouldn't want to apply that in first gear.

I'm currently doing a V6 (and I'm in your rough neighborhood-Benson). Its the SHO 3.2L and I don't think there is a taller V6 out there. Now admittedly mine a bit on the radical side, but I've review numerous V6 options. You can check out my project and I have a listing of all the V6's I've reviewed - see posting #31 on this page.

Let me know if you'd like to talk further.

Enjoy!

cali914
biggrin.gif Talk about tall 3.5 liter Honda v6 here is my tight fit. V6 V8 F20c Suby, its all about that bass. Creating is where the fun starts, just remember one thing its always double the cost that you might think its going to cost you. Click to view attachment
flmont
Yes its always more money,..But U have decided to go with a Subaru flat six,..the svx 3.3,..200 plus and reliable,..with no monster in the trunk,..I wanted it to handle just like a 914,..just more power,...and to build a T4 is 6-7 K for maybe 150 HP,..just not worth that kind of money ,..So,.v6 is out flat 6 is in,..!! Thanks for the help..!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.