Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On the german Autobahn with my 914 [Video]
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
Do german autobahn suck ?

Watch full screen or on Youtube so you can read annotations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HNi-dHvGyw

Comming back from the Nurburgring in my 1975 Porsche 914 1.8. Half of the trip was on the german Autobahn, and the other half on the french Autoroute. Here is the map of the trip https://goo.gl/maps/KxKOf . I cut out of the video the part when I crossed the city of Saarbrücken.

Questions you may ask:

- Music is "Rainbow in Curved Air" by Terry Riley (1969)
- Video has been speed-up about x5
- Speedo is 5% off
- Speed gauge face is a custom one (shows 90 150 190 230 )
- At the end of the video the GPS will show the real speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HNi-dHvGyw
thieuster
Great trip. Reminds me of a program that was on the German TV in the 80s at night: long stretches of the Autobahn.

We did the trip a little more to the east: Duesseldorf, Frankfort to Luzern in Switzerland driving down the E35. One long stretch of roadworks! Your route is how an Autobahn should look like!

Menno
Gustl
cool video aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

it's almost scary how fast you go through roundabouts lol-2.gif

driving.gif
Gustl
btw - Johannes, did you meet other 914 guys ...?

there were a couple of German 914s, a 914-6 Sportomatic and even a real 916
johannes
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 9 2015, 12:38 PM) *

btw - Johannes, did you meet other 914 guys ...?

there were a couple of German 914s, a 914-6 Sportomatic and even a real 916

I was only on friday and there were about 10 914 and the blue 916 ... Took pictures I will post later.
maddin
aah..you must have been at the Oldtimer Grand Prix...was watching the live stream for a few hours :-)
Music sounds very "Kraftwerk" ;-)
SirAndy
first.gif
johannes
QUOTE(maddin @ Aug 9 2015, 01:46 PM) *

Yes, but this was issued in 1969. Terry Riley is a pioneer of this kind of music.
maddin
QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 10 2015, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(maddin @ Aug 9 2015, 01:46 PM) *

Yes, but this was issued in 1969. Terry Riley is a pioneer of this kind of music.

Oh..just read it in the original post! Great piece of music...I'm a big fan of Glass and Reich! :-)
johannes
A few pictures from the event

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
johannes
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yes this is a 916 ...

johannes
A few more pictures

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
johannes
And a few more

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
malcolm2
Love the video.

So you have a factory 1.8? Guys talk about how they drive with the higher revs (than me anyway). I suppose you are in 5th most of this trip? I have converted my FI 1.8 to a 1911cc with a 9550 Raby cam and 8-ish CR. So I figure it is a similar engine to yours.

I drove a lot of US interstate this weekend and cruised (in 5th) at about 70 MPH and 3400 rpm. Fastest I went was 80-ish. I geared down to 4th coming up a very, very long North Carolina mountain stretch to keep the CHT below 400 *F and the revs were up to 4000 during that stretch doing about 60 or 65 mph. The car pulled great up that hill. No pedal on the down side of the mountain, and the CHT dropped quickly to 300 in 5th.

It is interesting to see how others drive these little cars.
maf914
Johannes, Thanks for the great photos. I like the blue 916. Thanks. first.gif
Bleyseng
Nice video! I drove that same section in 2009 but not in a 914. I love how European's drive as no one camps out in the fast lane so traffic moves much faster.
johannes
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 10 2015, 05:33 AM) *

So you have a factory 1.8?

Yes this is a 1975 1.8 from california (76hp). A few changes have been made as catalysator is not madatory in Europe for such an old car.
Cat has been removed. Heat exchangers have been backdated to 73-74 2.0 system with also a stock 2.0 muffler. Car runs better and is quiet. When Targa on, at 90-95mph wind noise will covers engine noise wink.gif
When I will need a rebuilt, I will go the same way as you.
1911 pistons and cylinders, a better cam and maybe more CR.
My idea was to level the 8.5 CR that was set on the carburated 1.8 in Europe.
jfort
I was in Germany about 20 years ago and drove to Munich on the autobahn. One of my biggest regrets is that I did not rent a Porsche there. Instead, I drove my sister's Nissan Sentra. With the pedal hard down it would do only 92 mph. Vehicles and motorcycles passed me like I was standing still. And, as others have said, you better not be hanging around in the left lane.

Thanks for posting
Drums66
......Cool,Cool Chit,,(from the event).... 309.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif(959, Alive!!!)
rgalla9146
Is that Jackie Stewart at the wheel ?
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 10 2015, 08:52 AM) *

I love how European's drive as no one camps out in the fast lane so traffic moves much faster.

I believe it's the law on the Autobahn to always stay out of the fast lane unless passing which is why I think it's called the "passing" lane...
johannes
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 10 2015, 10:27 AM) *

Is that Jackie Stewart at the wheel ?

lol-2.gif av-943.gif

My wife told me to go to the hair dresser wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.